PDA

View Full Version : 5E - AL - Glyph of Warding - spell glyph limitations

bloodgroove
2017-11-05, 11:17 AM
Do the spells that are cast in the spell glyph instance have to be harmful? I know
it says 'harms other creatures' but does that have to be physical harm? Could it be
harm to their morale such as seeing a creature they've been wailing on suddenly heal?
The thought would be to cast a 3rd level cure wounds into the glyph and set the trigger
for when the character goes down.

Another thought would be can you cast the spell glyph on a weapon using inflict wounds
as the spell and set the spell to go off when you crit or the creature attacked gets to a certain
HP total.

Would this work on arrows/bolts? One limitation I can think of is spell component cost.

interested in opinions and other potential uses..

Vaz
2017-11-05, 11:27 AM
It has been updated. On my phone atm, but would advise having a google.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-05, 12:57 PM
The spell doesn't have to be harmful.

You can propably cast the glyph on weapon or arrowheads, but if they move 10' from the place where you cast the spell (and remember, it's got 1 hour casting time, so you aren't going to do that in battle), the glyph ends. Pretty much useless for a sword unless you can guarantee the exact spot the enemy will fight you with enough preparation time, and outright useless for ammo.

bloodgroove
2017-11-05, 02:46 PM
The spell doesn't have to be harmful.

You can propably cast the glyph on weapon or arrowheads, but if they move 10' from the place where you cast the spell (and remember, it's got 1 hour casting time, so you aren't going to do that in battle), the glyph ends. Pretty much useless for a sword unless you can guarantee the exact spot the enemy will fight you with enough preparation time, and outright useless for ammo.

The spells' duration is 'until dispelled or triggered' so you should be able to cast it ahead of an adventuring day and recover the spell slots. I figured the ammo one was useless.