PDA

View Full Version : Trying to create an interesting character.

Kerrigor
2017-11-05, 11:49 AM
I have a group that I play in. These games are usually rather high powered (we usually become gods/start killing gods around level 12, and in this game, we are already fighting dragons at level 1, albeit young ones.) This is a non gestalt, PHB only game, until level three. The one exception is that we can use Faerūnian sub-races. Ecl 0, LA 0.
We get the following scores to put as we wish: 18, 17, 16, 15, 15, 15. At the players' request, the DM has made this a roleplay-heavy game.
Our party consists of: the DM's character-an elven wizard, a gnomish bard, an elven cleric, a half orc cleric of Tyr, a halfling rogue, a dwarven shield fighter, and a two weapon fighting human ranger.
Here's my problem. I want something new and interesting.
I usually play a dwarf/goliath barbarian of the meat shield variety. So. I've never played a rogue, a fighter, a druid, a wizard, a cleric, or a sorcerer. Anyone have a build that would be fun/Interesting to play?

DMVerdandi
2017-11-05, 12:14 PM
I have a group that I play in. These games are usually rather high powered (we usually become gods/start killing gods around level 12, and in this game, we are already fighting dragons at level 1, albeit young ones.) This is a non gestalt, PHB only game, until level three. The one exception is that we can use Faerūnian sub-races. Ecl 0, LA 0.
We get the following scores to put as we wish: 18, 17, 16, 15, 15, 15. At the players' request, the DM has made this a roleplay-heavy game.
Our party consists of: the DM's character-an elven wizard, a gnomish bard, an elven cleric, a half orc cleric of Tyr, a halfling rogue, a dwarven shield fighter, and a two weapon fighting human ranger.
I usually play a dwarf/goliath barbarian of the meat shield variety. So. I've never played a rogue, a fighter, a druid, a wizard, a cleric, or a sorcerer. Anyone have a build that would be fun/Interesting to play?

Play a human neutral evil druid. Make him a dog-fighter. Throw out dog puns, be an scrummy cockney tough guy.
Play druid straight through. Pick up natural spell at level six. Use a club, because you can find a club anywhere. Use a sling because rocks are everywhere.
Pick up a monk's belt as soon as possible. Summon dogs. Eventually turn into a various dogs.

ATHATH
2017-11-05, 12:53 PM
Seconding Druid, since Druids are perhaps the only base class for which not multiclassing out at some point could be an optimal idea.

Pick up Natural Spell at 6th level and Aberration Wild Shape at 9th level, and slap everything that opposes you with a metric butt-ton of natural attacks.

Have a guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook

Reprimand
2017-11-05, 01:42 PM
Sir Bearington. World class rogue extraordinaire. Awakened Bear Human Rogue put all your points in Charisma and disguise. Also get hide and move silently. Take leadership (DM shouldn't mind leadership too much since it's a non combatant, hand wave all the other followers.) and recruit a butler with an amulet of Speak with animals. The butler announces everything you say because of your "speech problems." Skill Focus: disguise, ring of disguise and deceitful. Go sneak attack people improved grab-> grapple -> pin -> denied dex = so you get sneak attack on grab damage. LOLOLOLOLOL. Use bluff to fake speaking a language too.

tstewt1921
2017-11-05, 05:55 PM
Sir Bearington. World class rogue extraordinaire. Awakened Bear Human Rogue put all your points in Charisma and disguise. Also get hide and move silently. Take leadership (DM shouldn't mind leadership too much since it's a non combatant, hand wave all the other followers.) and recruit a butler with an amulet of Speak with animals. The butler announces everything you say because of your "speech problems." Skill Focus: disguise, ring of disguise and deceitful. Go sneak attack people improved grab-> grapple -> pin -> denied dex = so you get sneak attack on grab damage. LOLOLOLOLOL. Use bluff to fake speaking a language too.

Stealing this for later, by far one of the greatest ideas I've heard of!

ATHATH
2017-11-05, 06:50 PM
Stealing this for later, by far one of the greatest ideas I've heard of!
Do note that it was not DMVerdandi's original idea, though.

https://imgur.com/r/gametales/tAV3wHl

Reprimand
2017-11-05, 07:02 PM
Yeah that's not my idea I just like the story that goes with it. Or you cam be a bear druid with a bear companion with ranks in ride Summoning bears with Summon nature's ally so you can be a bear riding a bear Summoning bears and being generally unBEARable!

SangoProduction
2017-11-09, 12:51 AM

What I do is take the setting write up. Then some mechanical gimmick. So, you know your character's world and where the character will end up at the end of your couple-paragraph BG. Childhood is often a good place to start. What drove them to adventure? Why aren't they just staying in the grove to tend the water lilies? Was it traumatic, exaltic, or eye-opening?

Characters make builds fun. Builds don't make characters fun. (But, of course, if you don't like "I hit it with a sword", then you probably won't like most martial builds in 3.5, nor PF.)