PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Inner Sea NPC Codex -- Is This Worthwhile?

Palanan
2017-11-05, 12:32 PM
Are the NPCs in this book unique, or are they just reprints of NPCs which appear in other Paizo publications?

And can they be dropped into other campaign worlds, or are they tightly bound to Golarion? The one detailed review on Amazon suggests the latter, so I'm not sure how useful they would be for a different setting. Worth a look, or should I just wave as it goes by?

Psyren
2017-11-05, 12:43 PM
As a rule of thumb, "Inner Sea" material is Golarion-specific. You certainly can transplant the material to other settings, but you may have to roll up your sleeves to do so.

I wouldn't know if the contents can be found elsewhere as that would require encyclopedic knowledge of all of Paizo's material :smalltongue: What I can tell you is that there appear to be video reviews of this and other PF books on YouTube. Here is one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYw8VJzZmAE)

Palanan
2017-11-05, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
I wouldn't know if the contents can be found elsewhere as that would require encyclopedic knowledge of all of Paizo's material….

Which you very often seem to have. :smalltongue:

Originally Posted by Psyren
As a rule of thumb, "Inner Sea" material is Golarion-specific. You certainly can transplant the material to other settings, but you may have to roll up your sleeves to do so.

The words of caution are much appreciated. As a rather harried DM, I will bear this in mind.

And thanks also for the link—that looks like a very thorough review.

Yanisa
2017-11-05, 02:24 PM
I can confirm there is no overlap with the NPC codex, but you can find all of them online (OGL) for free. For a complete overview for this book specific the Archives of Nethys (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/SourceDisplay.aspx?FixedSource=Inner%20Sea%20NPC%2 0Codex) is the best place. But you can also find all the NPC's on d20PFSRD without the fluff (and d20PFSRD doesn't sort by source), and some appear on the wiki(s?) of Golarian.

Psyren
2017-11-05, 02:34 PM
Which you very often seem to have. :smalltongue:

I'm flattered but trust me, I'm not even close! I literally find something new every day.

The words of caution are much appreciated. As a rather harried DM, I will bear this in mind.

If there's something from Golarion you want to use in another published setting, by all means make a thread for it, we'll find a close analogue in can go with. It can be a fun exercise, especially where the deities are concerned.

(If it's for a custom setting, I'd be considerably less helpful though, but you at least would have full creative control regardless.)