PDA

View Full Version : Houseruling Blade Ward?

Laurefindel
2017-11-05, 02:46 PM
Has anyone houseruled the Blade Ward cantrip into something less situational?

I mean, I guess Blade Ward can be useful in some very, very specific situations at low levels, but is there a way to houserule it in such a way that it become more useful yet not A must-have?

I thought of giving Blade Ward a 1min duration. Thoughts?

[edit] by that I mean 1 min, concentration duration, grants resistance to first attack received, spell ends when triggered. Worded like Resistance and Guidance.

Avonar
2017-11-05, 03:00 PM

I mean, I guess Blade Ward can be useful in some very, very specific situations at low levels, but is there a way to houserule it in such a way that it become more useful yet not A must-have?

Half physical damage for 1 minute? Who needs Barbarians, right? No, Blade Ward is fine as is. Its a defensive spell if you need to survive and can't get away.

rbstr
2017-11-05, 03:01 PM
Make it a bonus action and reduce it to only the next hit maybe?

Joe the Rat
2017-11-05, 03:06 PM
What if it was a reaction? Reaction vs. one attack?

Laurefindel
2017-11-05, 03:17 PM
Half physical damage for 1 minute? Who needs Barbarians, right? No, Blade Ward is fine as is. Its a defensive spell if you need to survive and can't get away.

I should have been more specific. Resistance on first attack, up to 1 minute after casting. Basically worded like guidance. Hesitating on concentration or no concentration...

Otherwise yeah, that's a whole class feature in one cantrip. Big no.

Trey Bright
2017-11-05, 06:40 PM

I like the idea of making it a cantrip. Maybe making it a concentration as well? So it halves the first attack, but then you need to save to keep it up? Make it so it still only lasts until start of your next turn?

Edit: I meant making it a reaction. My bad.

SkipSandwich
2017-11-05, 06:55 PM
I like the idea of making it a cantrip. Maybe making it a concentration as well? So it halves the first attack, but then you need to save to keep it up? Make it so it still only lasts until start of your next turn?

It's already a cantrip, the issue is that it takes a standard action to cast and only lasts 1 round, making it so situational as to be all but useless. Personally, I like the idea of making it a reaction, but reduce the damage resistance to a flat number that scales with character level (putting it more in line with other cantrips). Something 1d4 points of damage prevented +1 point per 4 character levels past 1st seems like a good starting point.

Tanarii
2017-11-05, 06:56 PM
No, Blade Ward is fine as is. Its a defensive spell if you need to survive and can't get away.
Second this. It's amazing if your squishy AC 10-13 Bard/Sorc/Warlock/Wizard gets stuck next to more than one melee. If there's just one you can try and shocking grasp to get away, but with two you're talking at least one full hit. Plus only Sorc/Wizard actually get Shocking Grasp.

Less useful if you have a solid front line in a tactically small space. Even so I can't count the number of times a squishy in the back line thought he was safe, and suddenly had a melee hitter right in their face.

Plus for some Builds (looking at you EK and VB) it's worth sometimes hitting blade Ward and giving up your attack just to be the cork in a bottleneck.

If you want to adjust it, you're going to have to rework it totally IMO. Resistance is too powerful to give out and still allow attacks.

Laurefindel
2017-11-05, 07:15 PM
If you want to adjust it, you're going to have to rework it totally IMO. Resistance is too powerful to give out and still allow attacks.

Yes, as it stands it has some, if VERY situational, uses. Most happen in the first two or three levels when character have abismal AC and very low hp, but after that there's virtually always a better option to Blade Ward.

I agree with your last comment if this applies every round. That's why I'm not hot on reaction or bonus action mechanics.

So far, I'm thinking re-writing it like Guidance; cast it as an action, stays 1min, uses concentration, grants resistance on first attack, ends when effect is triggered.

I was curious if anyone had in-game experience with a houseruled version of Blade Ward, and what it was.

Tanarii
2017-11-05, 07:45 PM
Resistance to a single attack in return for concentration makes it unlikely to ever be used. Just as guidance never gets used in combat. It'll be Resistance all over again ... a combat spell that isn't worth the cantrip slot except for niche builds that don't use concentration.

And resistance to physical attacks is useful at all levels. You're giving up more damage output at higher levels, but you're also preventing more incoming damage. And incoming damage from melee scales faster than hit points for a Wizard or Wild Sorc.

Edit: I forgot about EKs. If your goal it to make it fairly useful pre-combat buff for blaster EKs, that'd do it.

Trey Bright
2017-11-05, 09:02 PM
It's already a cantrip, the issue is that it takes a standard action to cast and only lasts 1 round, making it so situational as to be all but useless. Personally, I like the idea of making it a reaction, but reduce the damage resistance to a flat number that scales with character level (putting it more in line with other cantrips). Something 1d4 points of damage prevented +1 point per 4 character levels past 1st seems like a good starting point.

I meant reaction. My bad.

Edit: That makes it sound a lot like a 3.5 spell imo. If you want to make it more 5e, it seems like it should change the number of D4 per level. 1d4 at 1st. 3d4 at 7. 5d4 at 16, then 7d4 at 19/20?

UrielAwakened
2017-11-05, 09:09 PM
Uhhh no. It's much worse as a reaction.

You want to save you reaction for Shield as often as possible.

Kane0
2017-11-05, 09:16 PM
Well everyone has access to diengage and dodge so it has to be better than them (because of the opportunity cost to acquire) but not significantly so (cantrip level power).

Bonus action to grant B/P/S resistance vs the next attack that hits you until end of your enxt turn perhaps?

TheUser
2017-11-05, 09:37 PM
It's a great cantrip. Very useful for Eldritch Knights after level 7 especially.

JNAProductions
2017-11-05, 09:41 PM
It's a great cantrip. Very useful for Eldritch Knights after level 7 especially.

Yes, because one attack with resistance to physical damage is much better than two attacks or an offensive cantrip and an attack. And it just gets worse at level 11, when you get your third attack.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-05, 09:48 PM
Yes, because one attack with resistance to physical damage is much better than two attacks or an offensive cantrip and an attack. And it just gets worse at level 11, when you get your third attack.

I could see a pretty valid use for it if you're the only tank in the party and you're expected to soak some hits.

JNAProductions
2017-11-05, 09:51 PM
I could see a pretty valid use for it if you're the only tank in the party and you're expected to soak some hits.

Even then, it's usually better to kill faster than avoid some damage.

It's not USELESS... Just usually less useful than attacking.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-05, 09:58 PM
Even then, it's usually better to kill faster than avoid some damage.

It's not USELESS... Just usually less useful than attacking.

I didn't say that it'd be an AWESOME choice. I mean, I've literally had our party on the ropes because we (sadly, quite often) only have the one tank (a barbearian), and that resistance to physical damage has saved the bacon of the archer ranger, sorceror and warlock more than a couple times.

Tanarii
2017-11-05, 10:06 PM
Often that's extremely useful.

Laurefindel
2017-11-05, 10:14 PM
Well everyone has access to diengage and dodge so it has to be better than them (because of the opportunity cost to acquire) but not significantly so (cantrip level power).

Bonus action to grant B/P/S resistance vs the next attack that hits you until end of your enxt turn perhaps?

I'd be afraid it would benefit builds that don't have much to do with their BA too much. They could cast it every round as a BA to get resistance on first attack every combat round.

Otherwise yes, I'm aware that Blade Ward is good for Eldritch Knights between level 7th and 10th. But I'm questioning the pertinence of a cantrip that exist for is good for one subclass of one class for exactly 3 levels...

[edit] Valor Bards can benefit from it too at 14th level

Malifice
2017-11-05, 10:34 PM

At will resistance to damage?

Wut?

Laurefindel
2017-11-05, 11:34 PM
At will resistance to damage?

Wut?

No, re-written like Guidance, as explained later in the tread: action to cast, 1min concentration duration, resistance on first attack, spell ends when triggered

Pope Scarface
2017-11-05, 11:40 PM
What if you can cast it on an ally? Then you could stand behind the tank in the doorway hitting them with it each turn.

bid
2017-11-05, 11:42 PM
No, re-written like Guidance, as explained later in the tread: action to cast, 1min concentration duration, resistance on first attack, spell ends when triggered
You know, you could go back and edit your first post. If you want feedback on your adjusted house rule.

Tanarii
2017-11-06, 10:41 AM
I mean, this is balanced IMO.

I just think you've reduced it from a cantrip all Arcane casters will find potentially useful on a somewhat regular basis, to one very useful on a regular basis. But only for very niche characters that don't use very many concentration spells. Those exist, but they're not all that common IMX. Usually the other way around, PCs have too many spells battling for that concentration slot as is.

IMO you and several others are severely under rating the cantrip as is, as far as I can tell. I see PCs use it somewhat regularly when the situation gets dicey for their squishy. IMX it's a fairly commonly selected cantrip that sees quite a lot of use.

But if it doesn't work as written for you, one using concentration to give resistance to the first hit in the next minute sounds internally balanced to me.

robbie374
2017-11-06, 10:48 AM

[edit] by that I mean 1 min, concentration duration, grants resistance to first attack received, spell ends when triggered. Worded like Resistance and Guidance.

Make it a bonus action, but then to stop it from being abused every turn, limit it to turns when you are not attacking.

Blade Ward:

abjuration cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks. You cannot cast this cantrip on a turn when you attack or force a saving throw.

robbie374
2017-11-06, 10:53 AM

Making it a reaction makes it the same as 1st-Level Absorb Elements but for weapon damage, and you can use it for free every round.

UrielAwakened
2017-11-06, 11:03 AM
Making it concentration is great if you want to guarantee nobody ever uses it.

Concentration is way too valuable of a status to be using on a cantrip, ever.

DivisibleByZero
2017-11-06, 11:06 AM
Yes, as it stands it has some, if VERY situational, uses. Most happen in the first two or three levels when character have abismal AC and very low hp, but after that there's virtually always a better option to Blade Ward.

What if it scaled, like damaging cantrips?
Level 1: As is.
Level 5: 1 min duration, requires concentration, applies to one attack of your choice, spell ends when used.
Level 11: As above, but applies to 2 attacks of your choice before ending.
Level 17: As above, but applies to 4 attacks.

It's useful but not overpowered (even for a cantrip), and it gives you something to concentrate on until you decide to start concentrating on something better.

solidork
2017-11-06, 11:08 AM
One solution I considered was to combine it with True Strike, so that when you cast it you choose between the benefit of True Strike or Blade Ward (but not both).

It was the inspiration for some scaling utility cantrips that ended up being too awkward. You would pick an additional "mode" of the cantrip at 5/11/17.

robbie374
2017-11-06, 01:17 PM
One solution I considered was to combine it with True Strike, so that when you cast it you choose between the benefit of True Strike or Blade Ward (but not both).

It was the inspiration for some scaling utility cantrips that ended up being too awkward. You would pick an additional "mode" of the cantrip at 5/11/17.

This could be really interesting, actually. Here are two ideas.

Warding Strike
abjuration/divination cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S
Duration: 2 rounds

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. You gain advantage on your first attack on your next turn. If this attack hits, you gain resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks until the end of your following turn.

or,

Duration: 1 round

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. You have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks until the end of your next turn, and you gain advantage on the first attack you make on your next turn.

UrielAwakened
2017-11-06, 02:13 PM
As it stands, Blade Ward works on all attacks, not just one.

You're basically nerfing an already bad cantrip.

EDIT: I got ninja edited.

Tanarii
2017-11-06, 02:23 PM
This could be really interesting, actually. Here are two ideas.

Warding StrikeDid you mean to remove concentration from True Strike, on top of combining the two cantrips into one?

Just curious. Not sure if I think that's unbalanced. I'd have to think about how it could be broken.

Laurefindel
2017-11-06, 03:23 PM
As it stands, Blade Ward works on all attacks, not just one.

You're basically nerfing an already bad cantrip.

EDIT: I got ninja edited.

Its a bad cantrip because its so situational that it ends up never being used. The intent was to make it less situational and thus worth selecting, even if the effect is not as good. If you have suggestions or constructive criticism, I'm all ears.

robbie374
2017-11-06, 03:27 PM
Did you mean to remove concentration from True Strike, on top of combining the two cantrips into one?

Just curious. Not sure if I think that's unbalanced. I'd have to think about how it could be broken.

Ah. No, I did not intend that. However, I'm not sure it makes a big difference. True Strike is pretty terrible with or without Concentration.

Kane0
2017-11-06, 04:18 PM
What my group is currently using:

Blade Ward
Abjuration Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Range: Touch
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round

The target gains resistance to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons until the start of your next turn.

True Strike
Divination Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round

The target gains advantage on the next attack roll they make before the start of your next turn.

Neither have seen any use yet, but I plan on rolling up a bladelock when Xanathar's comes out so we'll get to playtest a bit.

mephnick
2017-11-06, 04:26 PM
Both of those seem quite strong.

The True Strike change is basically better than the Inquisitive Rogue's feature class ability as a cantrip without an ability check. *The rogue feature doesn't even give you advantage, just sneak attack

The Blade Ward change basically gives any character the main benefit of Rage for free every round.

They are not easy spells to balance. You can't just change them to a bonus action and call it a day, they need to be completely reworked.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-06, 04:30 PM
I've been using true strike as above, except that it only negates disadvantage, doesn't grant advantage. It hasn't seen any use yet, but I get the feeling that it's still going to be situational at best, unfortunately.

mephnick
2017-11-06, 04:33 PM
I actually like that change. Won't be used that often, but it's probably worth taking if you get a decent amount of cantrips.

Tanarii
2017-11-06, 04:35 PM
Ah. No, I did not intend that. However, I'm not sure it makes a big difference. True Strike is pretty terrible with or without Concentration.
Yes. It absolutely is pretty terrible. I'm not sure if adding Resistance Blade Ward to it would make it useful or not.

Kane0
2017-11-06, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah, Resistance. What can we do to improve that too?

Edit: Ooh! How about this?

Blade Ward
Abjuration Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 Action
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and reduce the damage taken from one attack of its choice by the result. The spell then ends.
The die rolled increases when you reach 5th level (1d6), 11th level (1d8) and 17th level (1d10).

Guidance
Divination Cantrip

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and add the result to once ability check of its choice. The spell then ends.
The die rolled increases when you reach 5th level (1d6), 11th level (1d8) and 17th level (1d10).

Resistance
Abjuration Cantrip

Duration: Concentration, up to one minute

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and add the result to one saving throw of its choice. The spell then ends.

True Strike
Divination Cantrip

Range: touch

You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends the target can roll 1d4 and add the result to an attack roll of their choice. The spell then ends.

Tanarii
2017-11-06, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah, Resistance. What can we do to improve that too?Oops. I meant Blade Ward.

But yeah. Unlike Blade Ward, IMX Resistance is both vanishly rare as a selected Cantrip, and basically never used. I mean, it's not a flat out trap, unlike True Strike. But the concentration requirement makes it basically unusuable in combat for the vast majority of builds.

Whereas I see Blade Ward both selected and used, both IMC and in AL. Certainly far more than cantrips like Mending, Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, or Druidcraft.

There's some minor out of combat use for Resistance. Very useful if your Warlock is gonna try and use Contact Other Plane for example.

Kane0
2017-11-06, 05:50 PM
Thats wierd, i've virtually never seen blade ward nor true strike see play. Resistance a handful of times when the player knows they are going to spring a trap, guidance much more so before a player attempts a skill check they can use it before trying.

bid
2017-11-06, 07:09 PM

Thanks.

How about something close to warding bond:
- you pick a target
- you receive half-damage from that target (same as resistance)
- your target receives the other half.
- lasts until your next turn start

That way you still do some damage to the target, as if you had an attack.

Breashios
2017-11-06, 07:17 PM
Without any modification our undamaged wizard used it to absorb half damage from a fire giant's blows while the rogue killed it with sneak attacks.

If that is its intended use, it seems to function as intended.

A little incredible to imagine though! Unlike the movies where the wizard would be flung into the far wall, he just stood there with his forearms up in a boxing stance and his tongue out.

Tanarii
2017-11-06, 07:44 PM
A little incredible to imagine though! Unlike the movies where the wizard would be flung into the far wall, he just stood there with his forearms up in a boxing stance and his tongue out.
I dunno. "You shall not pass" and all that.

bid
2017-11-06, 08:00 PM
Without any modification our undamaged wizard used it to absorb half damage from a fire giant's blows while the rogue killed it with sneak attacks.
Considering that the wizard could do more damage, and that the giant can still attack the rogue, I don't think it's that much better than a random damage cantrip.

And yes, the RP flavor is nice, if you want an adjuration wizard.

Talamare
2017-11-07, 05:41 AM
Considering that the wizard could do more damage, and that the giant can still attack the rogue, I don't think it's that much better than a random damage cantrip.

And yes, the RP flavor is nice, if you want an adjuration wizard.

Tank Sorcerer Spamming Quickened Blade Ward!

Sounds worse than a Bearbarian...