PDA

View Full Version : Does being on fire give you resistance/immunity to cold damage?

TheChangelingMC
2017-11-05, 06:20 PM
Just wondering honestly, have a tiefling now and I'm planning on taking the Flames of Phlegethos feat. The DM and I can't decide whether cold damage would struggle if the target is literally wrapped in flames.

Opinions?

Max_Killjoy
2017-11-05, 06:22 PM
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for tonight. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Falcon X
2017-11-05, 06:29 PM
As a gracious DM, I would rule for resistance, but not immunity.

It seems to act as somewhat of a barrier towards things getting in to you. However, it does not make your character hot, so it won't lessen any cold that does get through the barrier.
This, I say it gives you a little protection, but not a lot of protection.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-11-05, 06:37 PM
Generally speaking, D&D isn't a physics engine. If something like a spell effect or creature ability is set to do an amount of damage of a certain type, you don't plug that into a contextual analysis to see how effective it "should" be; it just does what it does, barring things like resistance that specifically interact with such damage. Compare with the definitions of element-based creatures, which may or may not have resistance or vulnerability to damage of their own or opposed element. Various types of logic can be invoked to argue for one or the other, but there is no overriding logic telling us which prevails. At the end of the day the assumption is that fireball does the same damage in a snowstorm and lightning bolt does the same damage to someone wearing rubber boots.

SharkForce
2017-11-05, 09:21 PM
if the flames are burning you (or would be burning you, in the event that you're immune and ignoring fire damage that should be happening), i'd give you resistance to cold damage. otherwise, you aren't being heated up by it so it isn't preventing the cold damage.

and actually, checking for context is something you should be doing in D&D. that's why the DM is a person, not a robot.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-06, 02:03 AM
There's bit of a precedent for this sort of thing: being immersed in water gives you resistance to fire damage. So yeah, I would totally allow being on fire grant fire resistance, but many cold effect would put out the fire (dragon breath, Cone of Cold, ...)