PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Making Psionics Count as Arcane or Divine

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-05, 06:53 PM
Converting divine spells to arcane is easy enough, and you can make arcane spells count as divine in a few different ways. You can even turn arcane spells (and thus divine ones) into psionic powers.

But is there a way to make psionic powers count as arcane or divine? Is there a way to apply arcane and divine feats and other effects, such as divine metamagic or metamagic feats, to psionic powers?

I honestly don't care if it's from 1st party, 2nd party, or even 3rd, so long as it's an actual published source (ie, none of that nasty stuff from that wiki...).

It can be a feat, a PrC, or even a racial trait; so long as we find a way to convert psi into arcane or divine, I'll be happy.

Any thoughts?

Red Fel
2017-11-05, 08:27 PM
Converting divine spells to arcane is easy enough, and you can make arcane spells count as divine in a few different ways. You can even turn arcane spells (and thus divine ones) into psionic powers.

But is there a way to make psionic powers count as arcane or divine? Is there a way to apply arcane and divine feats and other effects, such as divine metamagic or metamagic feats, to psionic powers?

I honestly don't care if it's from 1st party, 2nd party, or even 3rd, so long as it's an actual published source (ie, none of that nasty stuff from that wiki...).

It can be a feat, a PrC, or even a racial trait; so long as we find a way to convert psi into arcane or divine, I'll be happy.

Any thoughts?

The problem isn't making them count as arcane or divine, the problem is making them count as spells. Metamagics are applied to spells, not powers.

The problem of applying metamagic feats to powers, additionally, is that powers generally have metamagic functionalities built-in. They are, by default, cast without verbal or somatic components. They can be augmented for additional effects or damage right out of the can.

Additionally, there are metapsionic feats. Empower, Enlarge, Maximize, Extend, they're all there. (Except for Persist, but 3.0 had a version of that, too.) So there are relatively few effects that you'd need metamagic for; metapsionic feats, and regular power augments, can compensate for most of it.

Perhaps if you explained why you'd want powers to count as spells, that might help?

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-05, 08:41 PM
The problem isn't making them count as arcane or divine, the problem is making them count as spells. Metamagics are applied to spells, not powers.

The problem of applying metamagic feats to powers, additionally, is that powers generally have metamagic functionalities built-in. They are, by default, cast without verbal or somatic components. They can be augmented for additional effects or damage right out of the can.

Additionally, there are metapsionic feats. Empower, Enlarge, Maximize, Extend, they're all there. (Except for Persist, but 3.0 had a version of that, too.) So there are relatively few effects that you'd need metamagic for; metapsionic feats, and regular power augments, can compensate for most of it.

Perhaps if you explained why you'd want powers to count as spells, that might help?The arcane/divine thing is related to, but separate from, the metamagic thing.

There are certain items, feats, and other things that only work on or require divine or arcane effects, such as prestige classes, for instance, and using psionics to qualify for PrCs that normally require arcane or divine spellcasting (which is most casting PrCs) would open up new avenues of use.

As for metamagics applied to powers, there are a LOT of fun metamagic feats that psionics doesn't have anything equivalent to, or even close. Invisible Spell, for instance, or Echoing Spell, or Ocular Spell, or Sculpt Spell.

Psionics in 3.X has a grand total of two books for it, along with The Mind's Eye and a few bits and bobs scattered throughout various other books, while spellcasting has literally every book ever printed, even those specifically designed for other systems (psionics, incarnum, initiators, even mundane-oriented books). It'd be like suddenly getting a few dozen books' worth of stuff to open up. I mean, wouldn't it be fun to run a psionic Io7V or incantatrix?

Calthropstu
2017-11-06, 07:17 AM
When I run, I generally houserule that most of what can be applied to magic can be applied to psionics.
Actually, I am thinking of houseruling a feat that specifically allows you to adapt anything that modifies spells to modify powers.

Psyren
2017-11-06, 11:52 AM
OP, you might want to consider running Psychic Spells rather than Psionics. These are the 1st-party PF versions of "mind magic" and you can apply metamagic to them just as you can with arcane and divine spells. If there is a specific effect you want that is currently only available as a psionic power, researching a psychic spell version of it shouldn't be too difficult.