PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Madness

Quertus
2017-11-05, 07:17 PM
AFB, but, IIRC, the Madness domain slowly boosts your Wisdom for the purposes of spells, while slowly dropping it for all other purposes. Which, according to my math, means that there is an upper limit to just how high level a single-class Cleric with no racial HD can get before he falls into a nightmare-filled coma.

So, Playground, what's the highest level priest you can build, keeping to WBL, before succumbing to Madness? Again, assume straight Cleric, no racial HD (I know, lycanthropy would help on do many levels).

Domar
2017-11-05, 09:01 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm

Your madness score is capped to 10 pre epic baring stuff like bloodlines. 11+ wisdom will keep you out of a coma.

If you use the Madness domain you might want to use a stat substitution for will saves like Steadfast Determination or Keen Intellect.

Quertus
2017-11-05, 09:18 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm

Your madness score is capped to 10 pre epic baring stuff like bloodlines. 11+ wisdom will keep you out of a coma.

If you use the Madness domain you might want to use a stat substitution for will saves like Steadfast Determination or Keen Intellect.

Well, yes, but there is an upper limit to just how Epic a Cleric with the Madness domain can be, is there not? Even 18 Wisdom fails by level 36, and eventually even Epic stat boosters won't be able to keep up.

Sure, most campaigns won't get that high... But just how high can the pure Madness Cleric go?

As to making it better - agreed. I play Tainted Sorcerers, so I'm familiar with having surprisingly low Will Saves. :smallwink:

InvisibleBison
2017-11-05, 09:31 PM
Well, yes, but there is an upper limit to just how Epic a Cleric with the Madness domain can be, is there not? Even 18 Wisdom fails by level 36, and eventually even Epic stat boosters won't be able to keep up.

Actually, there's no limit to how high level a Madness Cleric who keeps her Wisdom booster up-to-date can get - the exponential growth of WBL overshadows the linear growth of the Insanity score.

Domar
2017-11-05, 09:34 PM
Spending every epic feat on Great Wisdom gives 2 wisdom per 3 levels while gaining 1.5 madness.

Avigor
2017-11-05, 09:58 PM
I want to create a character who has this domain (preferably either with a means to use caster level instead of class level or as a gestalt character), Willing Deformity (Madness), Lunatic Insight, Mad Faith, and the Alienist PrC, and if I can gain a familiar (is there a way to make your cleric casting qualify as arcane casting for the purpose of the Obtain Familiar feat? If not, this won't work unless I go gestalt), at least start the Fleshwarper PrC for levels 16-20.

Not sure if I want Reflexive Psychosis (kinda weak IMO) or Mark of Dis (both crunch and fluff are weak with this one IMO), and it's too bad Mastery of Madness is redundant with the Alienist PrC...

Domar
2017-11-05, 10:12 PM
Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment is probably the best source.