PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian ACF--Bloody (Vampiric) Rage?

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-05, 08:56 PM
I had an idea, and I'm not sure if it's a bad one or a good one.

I was thinking of creating an alternate version of rage for barbarians. Instead of straight up resistance to BPS damage, give them the following feature

*Once per turn when you hit with a weapon attack, you heal for X [a quarter?] of the bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage you took since your last turn and the damage of that attack is increased by the same amount.

With the X set at 25%, you take more damage over the long term than a regular barbarian and it's spikier (thus increased risk) but the reward is big damage output spikes. Of course it's vulnerable to DM meta-gaming (hit and run tactics are a pain, as you can't trigger it if you can't hit) and it's more to track.

Thoughts? It's entirely an idle idea (I'm always a DM and none of my players play barbarians), but I like the idea of a barbarian who revels in the blood of his enemies and uses it to empower himself. I didn't have enough to expand it into a whole subclass, although that would be interesting.

JNAProductions
2017-11-05, 08:59 PM
Eh... Feels a little too fiddly for my 5E tastes. Plus it completely changes the Barbarian dynamic, from tank to DPS.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-05, 09:12 PM
Eh... Feels a little too fiddly for my 5E tastes. Plus it completely changes the Barbarian dynamic, from tank to DPS.

I was worried about the fiddly nature. This would be optional, so for the barbarians who wanted a different mix. Still don't know if I like the underlying idea (taking damage increases damage) or not...

As I said, an idle thought.