PDA

View Full Version : LA for The Giant's Gingerbread Golem

Peregrine
2007-08-17, 04:15 PM
Gingerbread Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/Cc85LTNvTgOuH1xTRjz.html)

I've just had a thought. This is a non-mindless construct, yeah? Why should it just curl up and die when its creator is finished with it? Why shouldn't the gingerbread golem slip out onto the streets, struggle to survive, steadily going stale, then finally crawl into a temple, crying out to a god that never created it, and being granted a divine visitation, leading it onto the path of becoming a cleric and being able to keep itself alive by casting purify food and drink on itself every day?

The main hurdle to this is that it doesn't have a level adjustment listed. What should its LA be, if I ever try and make a character out of this? (Probably an NPC, of course, although a campaign where I could get away with playing this as a PC would be intriguing...)

Yeah. I come up with weird things when I'm short on sleep.

de-trick
2007-08-17, 04:22 PM
that would be sweet

Joltz
2007-08-17, 05:07 PM
hmmm... It's really small and has a crazy dex modifier. It's a construct, which can be very handy. It has low str. It has handy special qualities. It's very fast. It has a crippling weakness that requires daily attention.

It'd say it has LA somewhere around 3, Maybe 2 or 4. I'm not an especially good judge of these sorts of things, but to me it doesn't seem overly powerful. It makes a good caster because it's so small and evasive. A dex based giant slayer type melee build could be fun too I think. I think determining the LA would require playing it for a little while probably.

Also, I don't think that's a weird idea at all. The thought crossed my mind when I first read the entry a long time ago. I just didn't think long enough to consider LA.

Tar Palantir
2007-08-17, 06:47 PM
Give that bad boy weapon finesse, and boom! Instant melee death machine. Which is kind of sad, in a way.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Just reread it, and Weapon Finesse was mentioned. Also, if it takes a class with good Fortitude saves, it can stave off staleness indefinitely (only a DC 10 save, so with +9 to Fort it automatically succeeds.)

Peregrine
2007-08-19, 10:21 AM
that would be sweet

Is that a pun? :smalltongue:

hmmm... It's really small and has a crazy dex modifier. It's a construct, which can be very handy. It has low str. It has handy special qualities. It's very fast. It has a crippling weakness that requires daily attention.

It'd say it has LA somewhere around 3, Maybe 2 or 4. I'm not an especially good judge of these sorts of things, but to me it doesn't seem overly powerful. It makes a good caster because it's so small and evasive. A dex based giant slayer type melee build could be fun too I think. I think determining the LA would require playing it for a little while probably.

Probably. Oh well. Might have to try that some time...

Also, I don't think that's a weird idea at all. The thought crossed my mind when I first read the entry a long time ago. I just didn't think long enough to consider LA.

Well, that just means your ideas are no weirder than mine... I wouldn't take much comfort from that if I were you. :smallwink:

Give that bad boy weapon finesse, and boom! Instant melee death machine. Which is kind of sad, in a way.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Just reread it, and Weapon Finesse was mentioned. Also, if it takes a class with good Fortitude saves, it can stave off staleness indefinitely (only a DC 10 save, so with +9 to Fort it automatically succeeds.)

Well, almost. Saving throws still auto-fail on a 1.

And even then, getting that +9 will be tricky, since it's a construct and has no Con score (thus no boosts from increasing Con). It needs a full 14 levels of a good-Fort class if you just rely on your base save. Reduce that to 10 levels with Great Fortitude. Or dip into three good-Fort classes for the +2 each time, then you only need two levels of another good-Fort class. Paladin could be good too. Heeeey... paladin fits the concept I outlined in the first post too...

DracoDei
2007-08-19, 10:31 AM
Yeah, except Paladins don't get Purify Food and Drink at first level... I guess he could have been a temple guard (although people would laugh at him) and gotten to level 4 that way with a priest casting it on him as part of maintaining the temple... or something like that...

Jack_Simth
2007-08-19, 10:44 AM
Well, with -6 Str, +12 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Natural Armor, Diminutive size, and a natural attack (which grants one additional attack in addition to the normal routine, as slams don't require a specific limb), they'd make excellent Rogue/Clerics. Put a higher score into Dex and, at 1st level, they're neigh-unhittable. They're also basically immune to all 1st level spells (and most others, too).

One level of Cleric fixes their critical weakness, as it's just a cantrip.

As a Cleric-1/Rouge-X, this thing would rule. So it needs at lease some level adjustment (although the two racial HD help somewhat).