PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What happens when this spell and magic item collide?

LeonBH
2017-11-06, 06:13 AM
I use Quickened Haste as a bonus action, leaving me free to activate my Amulet of the Planes.

If I fail the DC 15 Int check, everyone around be gets transported to a random plane of existence. If I pass it, I can cast Plane Shift.

But, I'm not allowed to cast Plane Shift due to the rule that bonus action spells and action spells (except cantrips) can't be cast in the same round.

So what happens if I cast Quickened Haste and pass the DC 15 Int check for my Amulet of the Planes?

EDIT:

Never mind. I just realized a simple solution is to activate the Amulet first, and then use Quickened Haste depending on the result of the check. Avoids the issue entirely.

Unoriginal
2017-11-06, 06:17 AM
You can't activate the Amulet unless you're able to use the spell on the same round.

LeonBH
2017-11-06, 06:23 AM
A failed check on the Amulet doesn't count as a spell, though.

Unoriginal
2017-11-06, 07:02 AM
A failed check on the Amulet doesn't count as a spell, though.

And?

Look, it's pretty clear that you cast the spell with the same action you use to activate the Amulet. Either you rule you can't activate the Amulet unless you can cast the spell on the same turn, or you rule that activating the Amulet let you cast the spell regarless of any more general rules (since specific trumps general).

As a DM I would go for the second option, but given the way you're asking it looks like you're trying to exploit something, so I'd keep the first option close.

LeonBH
2017-11-06, 11:45 AM
Thank you for your thoughts

Pex
2017-11-06, 12:39 PM
Don't need to be too literal. The Amulet may say you are casting a spell but the reality is the Amulet it casting the spell through your will. You actions for the round are Bonus Action cast Quicken Haste and Action Use An Object, namely the Amulet which gives you the effect of Plane Shift.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-06, 12:46 PM
It could go either way. A permissive DM is never going to bring up that rule in the first place. A different sort of DM might let you activate the amulet, attempt your save, then say the spell fizzles because of the bonus action rule.

Ask your DM - can I activate this amulet after casting a quickened spell?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-06, 12:49 PM
Don't need to be too literal. The Amulet may say you are casting a spell but the reality is the Amulet it casting the spell through your will. You actions for the round are Bonus Action cast Quicken Haste and Action Use An Object, namely the Amulet which gives you the effect of Plane Shift.

I do it this way even though I think Activating a Magic Item does not fall under Use An Object. Magic Items use their Entry Text for Activation Rules.

Off Topic.
I feel like casting Haste before Planeshifting is a bit of a waste. It's not supposed to have pinpoint accuracy.

Pex
2017-11-06, 06:45 PM
I do it this way even though I think Activating a Magic Item does not fall under Use An Object. Magic Items use their Entry Text for Activation Rules.

Off Topic.
I feel like casting Haste before Planeshifting is a bit of a waste. It's not supposed to have pinpoint accuracy.

I'm not going to quibble whether it's the Use An Object action or not. The point is it's the Amulet that is casting spell no matter what flavor text the item description uses.

greenstone
2017-11-06, 09:26 PM
I'm not going to quibble whether it's the Use An Object action or not. The point is it's the Amulet that is casting spell no matter what flavor text the item description uses.

That could be ruled the other way. The item says "…you cast the Plane Shift spell. " Spells from items usually use the item wearer's save DCs, concentration, etc. I think the best we can say is, "Expect table variation."

And whether or not it is covered by "Use an Object" is not just a quibble, because it has implications for the Rogue's Fast Hands feature (RAW is that a Rogue cannot use Fast Hands to activate a magic item).

lunaticfringe
2017-11-06, 09:51 PM

I wasn't quibbling I agreed with you.