PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know yet how the Divine Soul sorc works?

samcifer
2017-11-06, 08:01 AM
Currently running a hexblade/favored soul and want to know what's different between Divine Soul and Favored, but not finding any answers yet. :( Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-11-06, 09:23 AM
Some details here (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7b24x5/what_i_found_out_about_the_divine_soul/). From what I gather, it's fairly close to the latest revision of the Favoured Soul.

samcifer
2017-11-06, 10:40 AM
Some details here (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7b24x5/what_i_found_out_about_the_divine_soul/). From what I gather, it's fairly close to the latest revision of the Favoured Soul.

Unfortunately I can't view it until tonight because reddit is blocked on the work computers. :(

LeonBH
2017-11-06, 11:41 AM
Looks like it's the same as the latest UA Favored Soul. Only difference is you don't have to get Cure Wounds (they don't say what else you can get instead, just that it's a cleric spell too).

You can swap out Cure Wounds at level 2.

That's all that changed. Empowered Healing is still there.

samcifer
2017-11-07, 11:08 PM
Okay, Dawnforgedgaming just had a live vid about the book and I was able to see the part of the page for DS that covers the assigned spell you get. Basically you get to choose an alignment (not clear if it's the same as character alignment) and the one you choose determines the spell you get:

Good - Cure Wounds

Evil - Inflict Wounds

Law - Bless

Chaos - Bane

Neutral - Protection From Evil and Good

TheUser
2017-11-08, 01:49 AM
After skimming some combos it's going to be broken as ****.

Really strong with Subtle, Heighten Spell and Distant Spell. The Cleric list has a bunch of touch spells that become much stronger with either 30ft range for instance as well as a bunch of long lasting effects that work really well with Font of Magic.

Subtle Magic Circle into Heightened Planar Binding -> Enslave on low Charisma outsiders who are foolish enough to discuss anything with you for more than a minute.

Distant Spirit Guardians (It has it's radius listed in the "Range" of the spell meaning you can double that with Distant Spell)

Bestow Curse either with Distant or using a 5th level slot with heighten spell (since it sticks without concentration so long as the first save is failed *snort*

Geas with subtle or heightened. If they are neutral you can just stand there for a minute and then casually issue a request to pursue some quest with you and if they fail they're your bitch for 30 days.

Or tie up a foe and heighten it to have an army after a couple of days.

Normally it's balanced but because the sorcerer can juggle slots with font of magic you can get something like 4-5 heightened castings of Geas in one day by level 9 or 10.

WotC didn't think this subclass through imho.

LeonBH
2017-11-08, 02:52 AM

Really strong with Subtle, Heighten Spell and Distant Spell. The Cleric list has a bunch of touch spells that become much stronger with either 30ft range for instance as well as a bunch of long lasting effects that work really well with Font of Magic.

Subtle Magic Circle into Heightened Planar Binding -> Enslave on low Charisma outsiders who are foolish enough to discuss anything with you for more than a minute.

Distant Spirit Guardians (It has it's radius listed in the "Range" of the spell meaning you can double that with Distant Spell)

Bestow Curse either with Distant or using a 5th level slot with heighten spell (since it sticks without concentration so long as the first save is failed *snort*

Geas with subtle or heightened. If they are neutral you can just stand there for a minute and then casually issue a request to pursue some quest with you and if they fail they're your bitch for 30 days.

Normally it's balanced but because the sorcerer can juggle slots with font of magic you can get something like 4-5 heightened castings of Geas in one day by level 9 or 10.

I suspect there wasn't enough time in the playtest to try all the builds out.

Heightened Spell + Anything with a save = Broken, in my opinion.

But Spirit Guardians does not work with Distant spell, because the text of the spell says: "You call forth spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration." It doesn't say "You call forth spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance equal to the spell's range for the duration."

The real gem here is Guidance plus Quickened [Insert non-Concentration spell].

Or even, weapon attack plus Quickened Calm Emotions.

TheUser
2017-11-08, 08:23 AM
I suspect there wasn't enough time in the playtest to try all the builds out.

Heightened Spell + Anything with a save = Broken, in my opinion.

But Spirit Guardians does not work with Distant spell, because the text of the spell says: "You call forth spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration." It doesn't say "You call forth spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance equal to the spell's range for the duration."

The real gem here is Guidance plus Quickened [Insert non-Concentration spell].

Or even, weapon attack plus Quickened Calm Emotions.

I was under the impression that because the radius of 15ft is listed in the Range of the spell it does work with distant spell.

EDIT: Yeah it totally doesn't, otherwise Cone of Cold and other AoE's with a Self radius would be broken with it.

samcifer
2017-11-08, 11:09 AM
I was under the impression that because the radius of 15ft is listed in the Range of the spell it does work with distant spell.

EDIT: Yeah it totally doesn't, otherwise Cone of Cold and other AoE's with a Self radius would be broken with it.

Spirit Guardians - Range: Self (15-foot radius)

"You call forth spirits to protect you. They flit around you
to a distance of 15 feet for the duration..."

So it's an AoE centered on the caster and since it's range is 'Self', it cannot work with Distant, which specifically states that it cannot be used with any spell with a range of self.

samcifer
2017-11-09, 09:27 PM
Yay! https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/928810291688652800

"Q: The Divine Soul chooses an alignment and matching spell at Lv. 1, Must it be the same as character alignment, of can you choose any?"

"The Divine Magic feature doesn't require you to choose your own alignment for the affinity of your divine power. #DnD"

Ogre Mage
2017-11-09, 11:21 PM
Sounds good. The Divine Soul will be my first Xanthar's PC.

Zene
2017-11-10, 03:24 AM

Great summary. Also: Out of sorc points? Only two spell slots left? Cast spiritual weapon and dragons breath for an entire fight’s worth of damage with both your action and bonus action.