PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight for a Rogue

krulin
2017-11-06, 10:51 AM
I'm playing a rogue in our current campaign right now. We've been dungeon crawling for the other half of an artifact that we got way back at the beginning of the campaign. My character is more of a talky-talky rogue than anything. She's not helpless in other areas though and has expertise with her thieves and stealth as well.

The problem I'm having is in our dungeon crawl I really feel like a set of lockpicks/trap disarming tools with a pair of legs. As a player I'm not super fond of the dungeon crawling aspect as much. If I wanted to do that, I'd play Diablo or something. But, I also recognize that we're going to do such things from time to time.

I'm trying to help our DM come up with ways for my character to feel like I'm more than just the aforementioned set of tools with legs. I realize that's kind of my job in dungeons, but I'm also looking for a way to make it interesting.

ZorroGames
2017-11-06, 10:56 AM
Are you running scout/point? Are you using advantage for sneak attack? Those are Rogue like contributions.

krulin
2017-11-06, 11:13 AM
Are you running scout/point? Are you using advantage for sneak attack? Those are Rogue like contributions.

I was sometimes running scout/point. We didn't really have any combat so sneak attacks weren't really a contribution I could make.

LeonBH
2017-11-06, 11:17 AM
What is your goal as the player? Why did you write your character? Why is your rogue even part of the party? What do they want to get out of it?

You need to understand your character first before you can suggest to the DM what they can add to make you feel more like part of the team.

If you already understand those things, what are they? We might be able to spin some ideas based on that.

JellyPooga
2017-11-06, 11:30 AM
If you're a "talky talky" Rogue, as you say, encourage your DM to include some social encounters in dungeons. An "encounter" doesn't have to be combat, whether it's down a dungeon or in a city (or any other locale). Dungeons with multiple factions are a common tool used by GM's to include social scenes. Bound demons/devils/undead can also provide social encounters. Captured prisoners or fellow adventurer NPC's can also be encountered down dungeons. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

mephnick
2017-11-06, 11:39 AM
You may just have to talk to him. If he didn't give any hint that this would be a no-social game than it would be fair to allow you to switch up characters. Maybe he doesn't realize he's ignoring your specialties and can change the game a bit. When I want to run a straight up dungeon crawl, I just tell my players that face characters will have very little to contribute.

krulin
2017-11-06, 12:17 PM
What is your goal as the player? Why did you write your character? Why is your rogue even part of the party? What do they want to get out of it?

You need to understand your character first before you can suggest to the DM what they can add to make you feel more like part of the team.

If you already understand those things, what are they? We might be able to spin some ideas based on that.

I guess you could think of my rogue as an early Haley from Order of the Stick. Outwardly, she seems to just be there for the loot. That's sort of mirrored in myself. I would like there to be a greater reason for why she's so attached to loot, but I don't want it to come off as too stereotypical (sick relative, etc).

I wrote it because I like the loot aspect of gaming. I also like the social part of it. Both of these aspects are being neglected a bit.

My character is in the party because we were originally hired to help this lord/duke/noble on his quest to find something. We found the thing before our first session began and the game started with us heading back to town. Turns out though, the noble decided he didn't want to pay us and instead left us for dead. We fell into a chasm, escaped it back to the surface, and proceeded to get VERY sidetracked from that original plot thread. It was just me and the cleric for a while because of schedule conflicts, but we picked up some new players. Now it's my rogue, our cleric, a druid, and a paladin. I think we're going to just have to start going after this nobles lieutenants because I don't think we can take him on as a whole right off the bat. We're level 7'ish except for the druid because she's still learning. She's getting level ups about once every session or so until she catches up with us. That's so she can learn and not be overwhelmed.

If you're a "talky talky" Rogue, as you say, encourage your DM to include some social encounters in dungeons. An "encounter" doesn't have to be combat, whether it's down a dungeon or in a city (or any other locale). Dungeons with multiple factions are a common tool used by GM's to include social scenes. Bound demons/devils/undead can also provide social encounters. Captured prisoners or fellow adventurer NPC's can also be encountered down dungeons. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Very true. I shall pass that on to him.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-06, 01:40 PM
What are rogues good at? Sneak attack, speed, and using their skills. In theory, any opportunity to use one of your expertise skills is an opportunity for you to shine.

I would do two things: ask your DM for more opportunities to use your expert skills, and actively look for such opportunities. Much like asking God for a winning lottery ticket, the DM can't do it on his own. You have to work with him: buy the metaphorical lottery ticket.

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-06, 01:44 PM
You may just have to talk to him. If he didn't give any hint that this would be a no-social game than it would be fair to allow you to switch up characters. Maybe he doesn't realize he's ignoring your specialties and can change the game a bit. When I want to run a straight up dungeon crawl, I just tell my players that face characters will have very little to contribute.

Yeeeaaaah, I agree with this. Especially if you don't like your role in the dungeon. Is there ANY role in the dungeon you'd like?

Also, what level are you, and have you picked a sub-class? I get the feeling that an Arcane Trickster with illusions might really be up your alley since it allows you to be creative. But I worry that if the others want to fight things, it'll take a bit of communication with the DM and the party to combine both aspects.

Unoriginal
2017-11-06, 01:47 PM
I'm playing a rogue in our current campaign right now. We've been dungeon crawling for the other half of an artifact that we got way back at the beginning of the campaign. My character is more of a talky-talky rogue than anything. She's not helpless in other areas though and has expertise with her thieves and stealth as well.

The problem I'm having is in our dungeon crawl I really feel like a set of lockpicks/trap disarming tools with a pair of legs. As a player I'm not super fond of the dungeon crawling aspect as much. If I wanted to do that, I'd play Diablo or something. But, I also recognize that we're going to do such things from time to time.

I'm trying to help our DM come up with ways for my character to feel like I'm more than just the aforementioned set of tools with legs. I realize that's kind of my job in dungeons, but I'm also looking for a way to make it interesting.

As others have said, trying to convince your DM to have social encounters in the dungeon would be worthwhile.

What's the dungeon's story? Depending of the setup, you could take the opportunity to get some goons to follow your PC and become a band's boss.

Though I'm a bit confused on how you guys are level 7, are in a dungeon, the game has been going for several sessions, and there was no real combat.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-06, 01:55 PM
Um suck it up.

I'm positive some one in your group is Built for Combat and would rather solve everything with Maul to Skull. You don't get to Solve everything based on what put skill points in.

You said you understand that Crawls occasionally happen. Good, act like it.

Contrast
2017-11-06, 01:57 PM
I'm a little confused - firstly, you're a talky talky rogue but your expertise is in thieves tools and stealth? Secondly, you're in a dungeon with no combat and no loot - why are you even still here? Presumably the only reason this is taking long if there's no loot and no enemies to fight or talk to is because of traps? Your rogue has expertise in thieves tools and you're concerned your rogue isn't getting enough spotlight in this trap/locked door filled dungeon? Surely they're getting a lot of spotlight? What exactly is everyone else contributing to this dungeon?

It sounds to me like you built a character to do a thing you don't enjoy and the DM has provided your character with the opportunity to do the things you built them to do but don't enjoy :smallconfused:

The way I see it the problem here isn't your character or how much spotlight time they're getting, its that you don't enjoy random session long/multi-session dungeon crawls (I don't particularly either).

All I can really suggest is tactfully mentioning to your DM/group that dungeon crawls aren't really your idea of fun and suggesting some alternative types of adventure going forward/in your next campaign. Depending on what the rest of the group thinks that may be problem solved or, if it is everyone elses idea of fun, you have to weigh up if it bothers you that much.

Edit - it occurs to me having only played a rogue up to 5th level I was forgetting you get bonus expertise at 6th. :smallbiggrin: Still, point stands.

krulin
2017-11-06, 08:01 PM
I'm a little confused - firstly, you're a talky talky rogue but your expertise is in thieves tools and stealth? Secondly, you're in a dungeon with no combat and no loot - why are you even still here? Presumably the only reason this is taking long if there's no loot and no enemies to fight or talk to is because of traps? Your rogue has expertise in thieves tools and you're concerned your rogue isn't getting enough spotlight in this trap/locked door filled dungeon? Surely they're getting a lot of spotlight? What exactly is everyone else contributing to this dungeon?

I'm talky talky in the sense that that is her personality and what some of her proficiencies are in. I was just saying that I'm not so stacked for charisma stuff that I have no other skills.

Traps haven't really been an issue either. I use the term dungeon, but it's really more of an abandoned part of a mountain city of lizard folk. As for why it's taking so long, I don't really know.

Contrast
2017-11-06, 08:34 PM
I'm talky talky in the sense that that is her personality and what some of her proficiencies are in. I was just saying that I'm not so stacked for charisma stuff that I have no other skills.

Traps haven't really been an issue either. I use the term dungeon, but it's really more of an abandoned part of a mountain city of lizard folk. As for why it's taking so long, I don't really know.

Yeah sorry I was originally thinking you only had 2 expertise so I was a little confused why you'd refer to yourself as a social character when you'd spent them on non-social things (particularly given Cha is typically an offstat for rogues). But as I edited in, I remembered you presumably have another pair which I assume are more socially inclined.

That said...if you're not sneaking, talking, fighting or overcoming physical obstacles and you don't seem to know what is delaying matters...what are you or the rest of the party actually doing in your sessions? :smallconfused:

Edit - Another suggestion while I think about it. Just because there are no NPCs around for you to roll charm tests at doesn't mean you can't roleplay social interactions. The other players are still around.

krulin
2017-11-07, 12:39 PM
Yeah sorry I was originally thinking you only had 2 expertise so I was a little confused why you'd refer to yourself as a social character when you'd spent them on non-social things (particularly given Cha is typically an offstat for rogues). But as I edited in, I remembered you presumably have another pair which I assume are more socially inclined.

That said...if you're not sneaking, talking, fighting or overcoming physical obstacles and you don't seem to know what is delaying matters...what are you or the rest of the party actually doing in your sessions? :smallconfused:

Edit - Another suggestion while I think about it. Just because there are no NPCs around for you to roll charm tests at doesn't mean you can't roleplay social interactions. The other players are still around.

Very true. I think we just got slogged down on what to do next. It was option overload on where we can go and such. Our DM has apparently said we're going to be out of the "dungeon" and done with it next session. YAY! I think you hit the nail on the head that I can take lead a bit more and RP with the other players when there's not NPC #956 in front of us. :D

Thanks! and thanks to everyone else as well.