PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between Grave and Arcana domain for a support.

Elric VIII
2017-11-06, 03:53 PM
I really like the mechanics behind both Arcana and Grave domains. I'm wondering which would be better at protecting my party. Arcana domain can dispel negative effects, pseudo-tank with Booming Blade/War Caster and provide control over outsiders (we're goon to play OotA, so this will be useful). Grave can heal downed allies very well and protect from critical hits, and comes with some good debuff spells.

Which do you think would work better as a support?

P.S. - is there any info on what may have been changed from the Grave domain in Xanathars?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-06, 04:53 PM
Each will have their specialties. Thr question is, which one would fit into the party the best?

And, of course, which of them sounds the more fun character for you to RP? That might be the most important concern.

And yes I know I didn't give you a very useful answer.

How about this: Assign 1 Domain to heads, the other to tails, and flip a coin.
Doesn't matter what it lands on. The one you're hoping it lands on is the domain you should go for.

mephnick
2017-11-06, 04:57 PM
The Arcana domain spells are generally out of combat spells, other than a couple that you probably already have better options for. Grave is probably better in combat. I think it's mostly a wash.

But the Arcana Channel Divinity actually being useful probably pushes it over the edge, as it's usually pretty lame. OOTA seems like the perfect time to play Arcana for that reason, if you're ever going to play it.

Chugger
2017-11-06, 04:59 PM
That dispelling nasty effects via a heal spell is truly _nice_, and I'd stay off the line and not pseudo-tank - I'd firebolt or spiritual weapon or stuff like that.

To use BB at lvl 5 you'll probably be using a weaker stat for bonuses - you'll have +6 to hit if you asi wis at lvl 4 with firebolt. If your dex is 14 you will only have +4 to hit with a simple weapon - and you'll have to go down to dagger to get finesse damage (unless a racial lets you use a sh sw or rapier). A dagger with bb at lvl 5 is +4 to hit and 3.5 + 4.5 damage + 2, or an average of 10 - and you have to be in melee range and/or up on the line, i.e. you're likely to be pummeled.

At lvl 5 your firebolt is plus 6 to hit (wis 18 at lvl 4) and does 2d10 on a hit, or an average of 11 damage. And you can be in the backfield, which makes more sense in most cases. But play how you want. You can bb and if the creature moves that extra damage is sweet - my DMs never let it go off if they can help it.

Regarding the other class, sorry I have no idea - but the book comes out on Fri iirc - re-ask then and lots of people will have it and will be able to help you. The pre-ordered books come out then - the general release is about 2 weeks away. But by next weekend lots of people should have it.

Elric VIII
2017-11-07, 02:31 PM
I think that I'm leaning more toward Arcana domain simply because if I want to be able to use SCAG cantrips I'd need an additional feat with Grave.

I think I like the idea behind Grave domain better, but having a cleric that wades into battle protected by his ancestral spirits (Spirit Guardians & Spiritual Weapon) would be more effective with BB/GFB from Arcana. This is a surprisingly tough choice.

Elric VIII
2017-11-07, 09:44 PM
For anyone following this thread, it looks like this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpm85cZbyJI#t=3m4s) has a snapshot of the Grave domain. I can't see the domain spells, but it looks like Eyes of the Grave and Sentinel at Death's Door have been changed to wisdom mod per long rest and they have Potent Spellcasting instead of Divine Strike. The Channel Divinity doesn't remove immunities anymore. It also looks like they don't get any bonus proficiencies, either.

That's actually a bit disappointing. I wonder if their spell list will make up for it.

8wGremlin
2017-11-07, 09:57 PM
For anyone following this thread, it looks like this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpm85cZbyJI#t=3m4s) has a snapshot of the Grave domain. I can't see the domain spells, but it looks like Eyes of the Grave and Sentinel at Death's Door have been changed to wisdom mod per long rest and they have Potent Spellcasting instead of Divine Strike. The Channel Divinity doesn't remove immunities anymore. It also looks like they don't get any bonus proficiencies, either.

That's actually a bit disappointing. I wonder if their spell list will make up for it.

Yeah looks like
Path of the Grave - give vulnerability to an attack
Sentinel at deaths door - cancel a crit
Potent Casting - + wis mod to any cleric cantrip damage