PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mouth as an MP3 Player/Synthesizer?

Ventruenox
2017-11-06, 05:21 PM
I am wondering how to go about chaining several Magic Mouth ritual castings together in order to simulate songs or other audible phenomena. Obviously, I would have to iron out details with my DM, but it helps to go in with a plan. I am wondering if anyone here has attempted something like this before and how they overcame issues.

In order to make this work I need to know if playing instrumentation counts as words for the spell limit, or if the spell can record 5 minutes of playing. If it can act like a tape recorder, perfect. If not, how many different triggers can be applied for activating the playback? The spell description does indicate it can be detailed, so why not have each triggering circumstance be a series of If/Then/Else statements? I still remember the careful wording required by the first edition Wish spell, so I think those can apply here.

You implant a message within an object in range, a message that is uttered when a trigger condition is met. Choose an object that you can see and that isn’t being worn or carried by another creature. Then speak the message, which must be 25 words or less, though it can be delivered over as long as 10 minutes. Finally, determine the circumstance that will trigger the spell to deliver your message.

When that circumstance occurs, a magical mouth appears on the object and recites the message in your voice and at the
same volume you spoke. If the object you chose has a mouth or something that looks like a mouth (for example, the
mouth of a statue), the magical mouth appears there so that the words appear to come from the object’s mouth. When you cast this spell, you can have the spell end after it delivers its message, or it can remain and repeat its message whenever the trigger occurs.

The triggering circumstance can be as general or as detailed as you like, though it must be based on visual or audible conditions that occur within 30 feet of the object. For example, you could instruct the mouth to speak when any creature moves within 30 feet of the object or when a silver bell rings within 30 feet of it.

Taking some ideas from the Magic Mouth Arcane Programmer thread, with sufficient math, you can create a static playlist with several castings of Magic Mouth. Indicate multiple starting triggers, special command word sequences such as: "Play J-3" or "Play B-7"; then have the one chord play at the appropriate time for it's note and repeat at specific intervals depending on the initial trigger. This will require several pages of notes to fully detail, but it's pretty much programming several macros for each note played. One ritual for A sharp, another for B flat. Have the refrain of 25 words or less be recorded and repeated.

If Trigger("Play J-3") = True, Then
Initiate Timer
Play at 0:07, Repeat at [0:15, 0:22, 0:23, 0:31, 0:39 ....]
Else If Trigger("Play B-7") = True, Then
Initiate Timer
Play at 0:02, Repeat at [0:04, 0:06, .....]
Else If....
End If

I am hoping to have a single object all these are cast upon, or barring that, on ball berrings that I can put into a single object.

The object I want to use is a Zombie Head mounted on a Stick. I want to call this programming:

Zombie Utterance Nachtmusik Experience

or ZUNE for short.

Does anyone have a reference to how much Bards cost by the hour?