PDA

View Full Version : ua warlock raven queen rules clarification

MagneticKitty
2017-11-06, 06:41 PM
If your raven has raven stats. Ravens have mimicry. If you merge with your raven do you have mimicry?
Can you then talk in phrases you've heard?
Since mimicry can count towards verbal components for spell (see kenku) can I cast spells that are bonus action / reactions?
It only specifies what actions I can use, not other parts of my turn.
Or you could argue the only changes to you are your shape, size, and speed so you can talk normally?

MagneticKitty
2017-11-07, 03:52 PM
Hmm it's been a day. Not sure if silly question or.... What
Maybe it's all the raven queen hate

Calen
2017-11-07, 04:03 PM
I find the reading of it iffy. Consult your DM for clarification.

Considering that you are limited to bonus action or reaction (verbal only) spells it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Ventruenox
2017-11-07, 04:26 PM
Verbal component only Reaction/Bonus Action spells include Healing Word, Compelled Duel, Hunter's Mark, Ensaring Strike, Hail of Thorns, Misty Step, a number of Smites, and Divine Word.

If the Raven form is being used as cover to cast a buff or Compelled Duel, that feels rather munchkin-ny. Escaping via Misty Step or using Healing Word? That seems fair enough.

Mimicry to communicate seems within reasonable scope of the ability.

8wGremlin
2017-11-07, 09:02 PM
I like it...

RAW seems to support it. (as far as RAW can with UA material)

The spirit assumes the form and game statistics of a raven
While the raven is perched on your shoulder, you gain darkvision with a range of 30 feet and a bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) score and to Wisdom (Perception) checks. The bonus equals your Charisma modifier
Soul of the RavenAt 6th level, you gain the ability to merge with your raven spirit. As a bonus action when your raven is perched on your shoulder, your body merges with your raven’s form. While merged, you become Tiny, you replace your speed with the raven’s, and you can use your action only to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, or Search. During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder. As an action, you and the raven return to normal.

So you can use your action only to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, or Search - ok.
So nothing in there about bonus action, or reactions.

so all good.