PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building a Fightin' Cleric or Barbarian

Mars Ultor
2017-11-06, 08:59 PM
The DM allows only the core classes, no rules from other books, some of the Prestige classes, and most of the Feats from the various books. He allows spells from outside the PHB on a case-by-case basis but is generally pretty generous.

I think it's likely that my 7th level Fighter/Rogue will not escape this campaign alive and I'm thinking of getting to work on a new character. I'd most lively be starting at 6th level.

It's a large group which consists of two wizards, one cleric (who avoids combat), a bard, a druid, and a straight fighter. I'm thinking of either going straight barbarian, or a combat-oriented cleric--more of a self-buffing fighter.

Multi-classing is possible, again with the limitation of the core classes. Any suggestions for feats or other selections to create an effective front-line combatant?

Nifft
2017-11-06, 09:27 PM
Default Cleric is pretty good at front-line combat.

- Have a Str 14 or so, higher if possible but not a priority. You just need to qualify for Power Attack; you'll get a bigger Str bonus when you are able to cast divine power or righteous might.
- Take the War domain from someone who offers a good Martial weapon.
- If you can get Complete Champion feats, take the Holy Warrior [Reserve] feat (gives you weapon bonus based on hightest uncast War domain spell).

I'm guessing that this DM would look unfavorably upon Divine Metamagic: Persist shenanigans.

Eldariel
2017-11-07, 01:17 AM
Yeah, Wis > Str > Con. Int for Improved Trip, Dex for Combat Reflexes if you go that route (Cleric excels in tripping thanks to Righteous Might). If you have the points to spare. Cha only matters for turning, which is only important with noncore feats.

Mounted Combat is also strong in Core so consider Spirited Charge and Lance proficiency. Planar Ally or Animate Dead can get you sweet mounts (neutral alignment channeling negative energy is nice).

Domains...Strength and War are okay with useful granted powers but the real big game is stuff like Trickery and Travel with great spells. Luck has a nice power too. Non-core has Spell (the best), Transformation, Pride, Planning, etc. Particularly access to arcane buffs like Polymorph and Wraithstrike is great.

For basic buffs, Divine Favor (Quicken on level 9), Divine Power, Righteous Might. On level 8, Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestment. Out of core, Brambles/Spikes is a big one.

ATHATH
2017-11-07, 01:24 AM
If DMM: Persist cheese isn't available, consider taking the Golarion Cleric variant, which trades out both of your domains for Full BAB. There's another variant that trades out Turn Undead for Smite Evil (and something else, IIRC), but even if you later dip a class that gives you Turn Undead again, I don't think it's worth it.

Consider taking levels in the Ordained Champion PrC- it's really good for Cleric gishes.

How does your DM feel about ToB stuff? A Ruby Knight Vindicator build might be pretty cool.

Rebel7284
2017-11-07, 02:16 AM
- The most powerful option for a fighting cleric is without a doubt Divine Metamagic combined with Persistent Spell. Something about running around all day with Divine Power and Righteous Might makes mid-level DMM clerics nearly unstoppable and this is before going to other books for persistable spells.
- Ruby Knight Vindicators make some of the best tanks due to raw survivability, but only core classes limitation makes it a bit difficult to use here.
- Ordained Champion is a simple way to trade some casting for a boost in fighting.
- On many builds, a one level dip into Prestige Paladin, if allowed, would be useful to get access to Paladin spells.