PDA

View Full Version : Optimization New Character and slightly optimized: Monk/Warlock team support.

Devonkm
2017-11-06, 09:36 PM
I am making a new character for a campaign in Storm Kings Thunder. The basic concept as the character levels up is not as much damage, but supporting the team through Ki techniques wearing down foes. We are starting at level 3.

The race/class and subclass may not be perfect, but I came up with the backstory for the race and class before stats were laid out. Also, I have played the optimized Wood Elf monk. I want a little flavor and soul in my character.

Build: point buy. Stats: 10 STR, 15 DEX, 10 CON, 14 WIS, 10 INT, 13 CHA.
Race: Air Genasi. +1 Dex, +2 Con.
Chaotic-Neutral: worship Akana, primordial of storms.
Due to the background of my story, I needed Pirate, but I used the following as story.
I steal to care for my Genasi siblings.
I will bring revenge upon all Orcs that worship destruction.
I can't resist a pretty face.
Don't tell me the odds, I will do it anyway.
My friends are my crew. I will do ANYTHING needed to protect them.

Skills: acro, athletics, perception, stealth.

Level 1: Monk.
Level 2: Warlock (hex, fairie fire, eldritch blast, mage hand) again, I know it's not the best pact, but I am doing it for flavor and backstory.
Level 3: Monk.

So now here is the question. As I level up I plan to stay Monk for awhile. My goal is to make the DC for my moves hard to resist by increasing WIS with my stat ups at 5th level, combining with hex. Does this make sense, or should I focus on dex moving forward.

Grog Logs
2017-11-06, 10:49 PM
First, I love the idea of this multiclass and may steal it.

I was going to ask which Warlock Pact and then suggest Fey; but by your spell selection, I can see that you beat me to it. Fey is a great Ninja type build and good for the Control aspect you are going for. If you took Fey Pact to 6th level, you could replace it as smoke bombs... But that's probably too much Warlock since Monk is so Ki dependent.

As for the Wis vs Dex question, I would lean towards Dex because you can't trigger your Ki DC (e.g., Stunning Strike) if you don't land your initial hit with Dex.

Also, why not another Warlock level for Invocations after you hit Monk 5 (so character level 7)? If you took the Beat Speech and Eyes of the Runekeeper) and got Monk to 13 (so character level 15), you could speak/understand/read (but not write?) all languages (both humanoid and beast)!

Finally, what Monk Tradition? Shadow seems quite Fey like, which would dovetail with your Pact. Fluff-wise all mystical abilities come from your Fey-ness.

Devonkm
2017-11-07, 09:37 AM
I was torn between Shadow or Open Fist. I like shadow for obvious reasons, but I really like the prone/loss of reaction from open fist. That being said, with stunning strike, the prone/reaction loss seem less important.

Grog Logs
2017-11-07, 02:25 PM
I have played the optimized Wood Elf monk. I want a little flavor and soul in my character.

What was your prior Monk subclass? If you are choosing the same one, how would your new character be different mechanically?

Also, keep in mind that I've only played an Open-Hand Monk up to 5 and never a Warlock, so my earlier advice is based on thought experiment rather than experience.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-07, 02:50 PM
I am making a new character for a campaign in Storm Kings Thunder. The basic concept as the character levels up is not as much damage, but supporting the team through Ki techniques wearing down foes. We are starting at level 3.

The race/class and subclass may not be perfect, but I came up with the backstory for the race and class before stats were laid out. Also, I have played the optimized Wood Elf monk. I want a little flavor and soul in my character.

Build: point buy. Stats: 10 STR, 15 DEX, 10 CON, 14 WIS, 10 INT, 13 CHA.
Race: Air Genasi. +1 Dex, +2 Con.
Chaotic-Neutral: worship Akana, primordial of storms.
Due to the background of my story, I needed Pirate, but I used the following as story.
I steal to care for my Genasi siblings.
I will bring revenge upon all Orcs that worship destruction.
I can't resist a pretty face.
Don't tell me the odds, I will do it anyway.
My friends are my crew. I will do ANYTHING needed to protect them.

Skills: acro, athletics, perception, stealth.

Level 1: Monk.
Level 2: Warlock (hex, fairie fire, eldritch blast, mage hand) again, I know it's not the best pact, but I am doing it for flavor and backstory.
Level 3: Monk.

So now here is the question. As I level up I plan to stay Monk for awhile. My goal is to make the DC for my moves hard to resist by increasing WIS with my stat ups at 5th level, combining with hex. Does this make sense, or should I focus on dex moving forward.

You are spreading yourself very thin with those stats. Consider dumping str and or int to get some more stats in con and wisdom. 15 AC is dreadful for anyone that hopes to get into melee, combined with only 6 hps per level, your character might not live to see much.

If your going all out on the monk/warlock. I'd take a second warlock level after level 5 monk. Shadow monk is really strong combined with Devil's Sight, and probably better than open hand for you.

To answer your question, I'd boost dex before wisdom.

Devonkm
2017-11-07, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can drop 1 of them (int or Str), but a Genasi's Wisdom cannot go above 15 at level 1, so I did not see much point in spending 2 ASI for no gain at level 1. Maybe I should start with a Warlock, so I can get the Armor spell, and use that at the beginning until I hit level 5 and can raise my AC with WIS increase.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-07, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can drop 1 of them (int or Str), but a Genasi's Wisdom cannot go above 15 at level 1, so I did not see much point in spending 2 ASI for no gain at level 1. Maybe I should start with a Warlock, so I can get the Armor spell, and use that at the beginning until I hit level 5 and can raise my AC with WIS increase.

If you do that, definitely bump dex over wisdom, as it will actually increase your AC.

The odd wisdom is fine if you have either another odd stat or want to take a half feat. Str and int are completely dead stats for this character.