PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Chosen Warrior (WIP)

Deleted
2017-11-07, 12:19 AM
Had a brain fart earlier and got this stuck on my mind so I decided to play around with the idea...

Basically, there has been a lot of "chosen ones" in fantasy. Some of them are magical by themselves and others need an outside source to have a bit of magic. Usually this comes in the form of a magic weapon. 5e really really really doesn't support this sort of character, unless the DM really starts holding hands. The Warlock probably comes the closest, but they rely on too many spells to fit this as well as I would want.

So, with a bit of inspiration from Magic of Incarnum and the rest of 3e... A class that has a magic weapon built in, fluff as to why it isn't going to be as broken as it could be (WORTHINESS), and still gives you the non-magical warrior + magic weapon vibe.

King Arthur? Most iterations show him as some dude with a magic sword. He isn't innately magical, but the sword typically is.

Link? Most iterations show that he isn't innately magical. He either has to gain items or gifts from others in order to be magical.

Thor? Well, he's a god and has superpower awesome sauce running through his veins but he isn't all that magical by himself. He needs his weapon (or his goat) to do the real magical stuff.

All of these characters do have something in common though. They are all worthy, they are all the chosen one. They all are the chosen one that gains the benefit of a magical item.

Now the Warlock could be used to make this sort of character, and so could many others, but the problem is that they have too much spellcasting. The primary weapon of choice for the Chosen Warrior should be their magic weapon and martial prowess, not the reliance on casting spells (though magic helps every so often, rather cast a spell then be dead).

Even Darth Vader isn't innately magical. He has bugs living inside of him that he coaxes into doing his bidding... Ugh I hate that but whatever, the bugs are magical and are just symbiote... Darth is just an emotional dude with a cool magic weapon and some extra powers from an outside source much like Link.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkIh0U0AW

Edit

This is for the MCU, as it is very different than the comics...

Thor himself isn't magical in the movie. He gains his powers after Odin passes away... I believe that he received the Odin Force (which Thor doesn't know how to control) which changes to fit Thor (because Thor sees himself as the God of Lightning... He gets more lightning powers).

His Hammer originally was to train him to use the Odin Force and let him use some of it so he would subconsciously know how to use it at the very least. If Odin told people, or the Thor who was kinda an asshat, that the hammer had the Odin force... Hot damn would people and Thor flip out.

So Odin is lying and is telling the truth... From a certain point of view.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-11-07, 01:02 AM
Um. Is this a prestige class?

Deleted
2017-11-07, 01:06 AM
Um. Is this a prestige class?

I'm guessing you're referencing the fact that it's 10 levels long...

Nope, base class, my groups never go over 10th level (for the most part) so I don't deal with anything over 10th level (my other homebrew is the same way) unless we start at high levels.

Most people don't get past level 8 so it's a waste of time and energy to deal with it. 5e D&D doesnt, practically at least, exist past level 8 to 10.

Ferrin33
2017-11-07, 01:18 AM
Basic Armor Specialization: What's the fluff behind increasing AC based on strength instead of dexterity, and how does this make you specialized in the armor as the name implies?

"The DC for any spell cast from your magical weapon is 8 + (2 * Your Proficiency Bonus)." I suggest changing this to 8 + Proficiency bonus + Ability score of your choice. As written the save DC will be weaker at lower levels and stronger at higher levels compared to other saving throw abilities.

Activating Flametongue or Frostbrand gives the weapon a dual-damage type. What are the rules for this, as I don't think this exists anywhere else in 5e? I suggest changing the damage type entirely to Fire/Cold when you activate it, you can deactivate it whenever you want anyway.

It's not clear when you gain access to any of the Spell Storing abilities.

Since the entire class is based around wielding this magical weapon, allowing them to bypass immunity and resistance to non-magical damage as a baseline class feature instead of a Boon choice seems appropriate. Probably at 3rd level, as that's when warlocks can do the same with Pact of the Blade. Though I would honestly consider just letting them do so starting at 1st level, as the class revolves entirely around this weapon.

Boon of Missile Deflection is cool, but why not let you choose between strength or dexterity?

Lalliman
2017-11-07, 04:25 AM
Thor? Well, he's a god and has superpower awesome sauce running through his veins but he isn't all that magical by himself. He needs his weapon (or his goat) to do the real magical stuff.
I see you haven't seen Ragnarok yet :smalltongue:

Basic Armor Specialization: What's the fluff behind increasing AC based on strength instead of dexterity, and how does this make you specialized in the armor as the name implies?
I guess it's just to make Strength and Dexterity equally viable without the availability of heavy armour. It's a pretty nice character customisation feature, for if you want to play a buff character who doesn't wear full plate. The balance doesn't really work out though: without the higher AC that full plate provides, Dex is considerably better than Str thanks to Dexterity saves, Initiative and access to long-range weapons.

"The DC for any spell cast from your magical weapon is 8 + (2 * Your Proficiency Bonus)." I suggest changing this to 8 + Proficiency bonus + Ability score of your choice. As written the save DC will be weaker at lower levels and stronger at higher levels compared to other saving throw abilities.
Agreed. I would suggest making Con the spellcasting ability score.

Aside from Ferrin's points, this class seems overall solid. It's a bit narrow in its flavour, intended clearly to encourage a Strength-based melee character. I would've tried to expand it and make it equally viable to Dex-based and ranged characters, but I understand that that makes the features more difficult to balance.

Oh and, the boons are a bit messed up. Boon of Impeccable Magic has no text, and there's a random "Boon of" at the end.

Deleted
2017-11-07, 08:53 AM

Activating Flametongue or Frostbrand gives the weapon a dual-damage type. What are the rules for this, as I don't think this exists anywhere else in 5e? I suggest changing the damage type entirely to Fire/Cold when you activate it, you can deactivate it whenever you want anyway.

It's not clear when you gain access to any of the Spell Storing abilities.

Since the entire class is based around wielding this magical weapon, allowing them to bypass immunity and resistance to non-magical damage as a baseline class feature instead of a Boon choice seems appropriate. Probably at 3rd level, as that's when warlocks can do the same with Pact of the Blade. Though I would honestly consider just letting them do so starting at 1st level, as the class revolves entirely around this weapon.

Boon of Missile Deflection is cool, but why not let you choose between strength or dexterity?

This will primarily be a Strength based class.

There are many characters in fantasy that are Strength based, don't wear heavy armor, and yet don't take a beating. For example, Bronn from GoT would be considered wearing light or medium armor and yet not really have that great of dexterity (compared to some others). He still would have a high AC as he isn't prone to being hit all that often.

The DC shouldn't ever be based on Con, primarily because 5e just doesn't want that. I'm not against Con casters, I looooove some Magic of Incarnum but Con is just a no-no casting stat (for now, I'm sure WotC will change that eventually). The proficiency bonus (8 + 2 x Prof) actually sets the math well enough and I want to fluff the DC being based on how worthy the weapon viewed your character. Your overall level would be this judge. The magic power isn't coming from the warrior, it's coming from the item and short of giving the item stats (meh, no thanks, too iffy) this is the simplest way to tie it to the character without the spell being stronger due to the character's stats. At level 1 you're looking at a DC 12 (which none of the Magic Weapons will give spells at this level), level 6 you're looking at a DC 14, and level 9 you're looking at a DC 16. Which is about on par with caster DCs anyways. At level 6 most casters will have a +4 in their main stat, which is a DC 15. At level 9 most casters will have a +4 or +5 (let's say +5) so their DC will be 16. This class won't ever be used above prof bonus +4 so going beyond that isn't a problem (even if it was, most people will never touch above level 10).

I was going to add rules for it, but then was like, that's adding too much but never got around to changing it back. I cranked this one out a bit too fast but you're correctomundo on the damage type issue and it should be an either or situation.

Bypassing resistances and immunities should be a basic part of it and I was basing this off when the Monk gained this ability... However the Warlock gains a magic weapon at 3 and it bypasses resistances and stuff so... Yeah Boon or Irresistable Offense is gonna hit up on 3rd level. I'll give a second boon option at level 7 but won't allow it to be changed (DMs can always allow it to be changed).

Deflect Missiles being strength only is the same reason why the Monk can only use dexterity with the feature. Because this is a class based around a specific ability score. :smalltongue:

I see you haven't seen Ragnarok yet :smalltongue:

I guess it's just to make Strength and Dexterity equally viable without the availability of heavy armour. It's a pretty nice character customisation feature, for if you want to play a buff character who doesn't wear full plate. The balance doesn't really work out though: without the higher AC that full plate provides, Dex is considerably better than Str thanks to Dexterity saves, Initiative and access to long-range weapons.

Agreed. I would suggest making Con the spellcasting ability score.

Aside from Ferrin's points, this class seems overall solid. It's a bit narrow in its flavour, intended clearly to encourage a Strength-based melee character. I would've tried to expand it and make it equally viable to Dex-based and ranged characters, but I understand that that makes the features more difficult to balance.

Oh and, the boons are a bit messed up. Boon of Impeccable Magic has no text, and there's a random "Boon of" at the end.

Shhhhhh. Also, most Thor characters aren't all that magical in of themselves.

Yup, dexterity is still better than Strength but at least now a strength based character isn't so MAD when it comes to the physical side of things (while not in heavy armor) and can lower their dex and not get punched in the face all the time. So many characters from fiction don't wear heavy armor and yet aren't really the dexterous type.

Con doesn't fit the fluff of worthiness. I would rather have the weapon (or benefactor) judge you based on level (prof bonus) than to make this class a con caster. Actually, this class isn't even a caster as it's the magic weapon... I need to fluff the casting as "you compel your magic weapon to cast..." to show that it isn't the chosen warrior casting the spell, but the magic weapon providing assistance. Plus, at the levels this is used (6 to 10) the DC is right around where it would be with the current formula.

Yeah, I had a few Boons in there but I didn't like them so quickly erased them after I posted this :smalltongue:, I'll fix that later haha.

I actually don't want this to be dex based, at least not easily dex based. We already have many martial classes that favor dex based builds. Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, and Monk all favor dex (fighter can be both but dex is overall a stronger option than str so... yeah). For strength based martial classes, the ones that favor strength are Barbarian and Paladin. However you can make pretty effective Barbarians and Paladins with dex if you know what you're doing. That's what I would want with this. Primarily it is a strength based class, but if you know what you're doing, you can make it a dexterity class. Nothing stops flametongue from being a rapier or dagger (I may even change magic weapon to be any weapon and not just melee weapons). About the only class feature that doesn't mesh well with Dex based classes would be Basic Armor Specialization and choosing Mjölnir as your magic weapon... But that ain't so bad as other classes do the same thing (strength monk).

Thanks y'all :). I hope I was able to clarify my thoughts on this and I'm currently changing a few things.
===

I do need to throw in more fluff (specifically that it isn't the chosen warrior casting the spells), crank up the worthiness, and add some boons for the next round of things. Something like...

Spell Storing (Fireball): Starting at 6th level, as an action, you may ask flametongue to cast fireball once per short or long rest. You and your allies are not harmed by this spell.

or

Spell Storing (Fireball): Starting at 6th level, as an action, you may request flametongue to cast fireball once per short or long rest. You and your allies are not harmed by this spell. Flametongue accepts the request from the chosen warrior to burn their foes.

Questions

Should the level 7 feature just be the Boon of Irresistible Offense? Or would having a list of boons be better in the long rest so that players can shape their weapon differently (maybe one weapon is a snarky jerk and gives a boon where you can ask it to use Vicious Mockery at-will as an action)?

Mjölnir's returning feature could be better worded I think... But is there any other Mjölnir abilities that would fit?

What magic weapons from fantasy (historic fantasy works) would be good to add here? What about from previous editions of D&D?

Any old folk stories like "The twelves dancing princesses" that I should base a weapon off from? I'm actually thinking of making a magic weapon based off

Ferrin33
2017-11-07, 09:56 AM
This will primarily be a Strength based class.

There are many characters in fantasy that are Strength based, don't wear heavy armor, and yet don't take a beating. For example, Bronn from GoT would be considered wearing light or medium armor and yet not really have that great of dexterity (compared to some others). He still would have a high AC as he isn't prone to being hit all that often.

-snip-

Questions

Should the level 7 feature just be the Boon of Irresistible Offense? Or would having a list of boons be better in the long rest so that players can shape their weapon differently (maybe one weapon is a snarky jerk and gives a boon where you can ask it to use Vicious Mockery at-will as an action)?

Mjölnir's returning feature could be better worded I think... But is there any other Mjölnir abilities that would fit?

What magic weapons from fantasy (historic fantasy works) would be good to add here? What about from previous editions of D&D?

Any old folk stories like "The twelves dancing princesses" that I should base a weapon off from? I'm actually thinking of making a magic weapon based off

A Dexterity of 14 isn't all that high either. The only problem I have with this is that the name of the ability and flavor do not match up to the mechanical benefits, and I can't think of a way how it would make sense. Do they flex their muscles to deflect incoming blows? And why do they no longer benefit from dodging/dexterity? The only reason would be if they would wear heavy improvised armor plates on top of or underneath the armor that prevents them from dodging, and increases their AC as their strength goes up as they can add more of this improvised plating.

The way you have described it being in the game is purely from a mechanical standpoint, but the mechanics are supposed to reinforce the fluff. Games and movies are not D&D, and as for the example you give; Bronn watches his opponent intently in order to not get hit; he predicts their movements and is more of a wisdom trait. Are you saying Bronn is ripped like a barbarian in order to not get hit? Because that's what you are basically saying with this ability and using bronn as an example.

You are forcing strength to be the main ability for this class with no fluff to back that up, and trying to make it less MAD without there being any fluff reasons for that.

Before I move on to your questions, one more thing; It'd be nice if this class was proficient in heavy armor for the king arthur-in-armor feel, or any other knight who was bestowed with a magic weapon.

Boon of Irresistible Offense should be a baseline ability of the class no later than 3rd level, but probably 1st or 2nd as its such a big part of the class concept. I like having more options for Boons, and I'd suggest making them as prevalent as invocations and balancing them accordingly. Being able to use Vicious Mockery at-will is a very flavorful ability, and is in line if not weaker than several available warlock invocations, as some let you cast 1st level spells at-will.

Instead of recreating Mjölnir, why not change its name and take inspiration from Mjölnir so you have more freedom for its design? You could mention a quote from Thor in the flavor description which would be a nice touch.

I'm not to familiar with any stories that have weapons like this so I can't help with that, however; What kind of magical power that would be cool to be granted by a weapon could you add? A shadowblade that lets you jump through shadows, stab people through shadows(effectively making a ranged attack), and cloaking yourself in shadow is one example. Another idea is a blade that feeds on the blood of its foes and wielder both, this weapon could have lifestealing effects and an ability that is fueled by lifeforce. Another idea is a weapon that can duplicate itself, letting you wield two of them, and one of its spells could be like the "Conjure Volley" spell, but without spending the material component.

Edit: Big mechanical suggestion; You could give this class a resource which works like monk Ki, the flavor of it being that the weapon allows you to use more of its power as you go up in levels. This resource("Merit" perhaps?) is used to activate Spell Storing abilities in the same way an Elemental Monk or a sorcerer's sorcery points can. This allows some added flexibility when designing abilities for the weapons as well.

Deleted
2017-11-07, 10:43 AM
A Dexterity of 14 isn't all that high either. The only problem I have with this is that the name of the ability and flavor do not match up to the mechanical benefits, and I can't think of a way how it would make sense. Do they flex their muscles to deflect incoming blows? And why do they no longer benefit from dodging/dexterity? The only reason would be if they would wear heavy improvised armor plates on top of or underneath the armor that prevents them from dodging, and increases their AC as their strength goes up as they can add more of this improvised plating.

The way you have described it being in the game is purely from a mechanical standpoint, but the mechanics are supposed to reinforce the fluff. Games and movies are not D&D, and as for the example you give; Bronn watches his opponent intently in order to not get hit; he predicts their movements and is more of a wisdom trait. Are you saying Bronn is ripped like a barbarian in order to not get hit? Because that's what you are basically saying with this ability and using bronn as an example.

You are forcing strength to be the main ability for this class with no fluff to back that up, and trying to make it less MAD without there being any fluff reasons for that.

Before I move on to your questions, one more thing; It'd be nice if this class was proficient in heavy armor for the king arthur-in-armor feel, or any other knight who was bestowed with a magic weapon.

Boon of Irresistible Offense should be a baseline ability of the class no later than 3rd level, but probably 1st or 2nd as its such a big part of the class concept. I like having more options for Boons, and I'd suggest making them as prevalent as invocations and balancing them accordingly. Being able to use Vicious Mockery at-will is a very flavorful ability, and is in line if not weaker than several available warlock invocations, as some let you cast 1st level spells at-will.

Instead of recreating Mjölnir, why not change its name and take inspiration from Mjölnir so you have more freedom for its design? You could mention a quote from Thor in the flavor description which would be a nice touch.

I'm not to familiar with any stories that have weapons like this so I can't help with that, however; What kind of magical power that would be cool to be granted by a weapon could you add? A shadowblade that lets you jump through shadows, stab people through shadows(effectively making a ranged attack), and cloaking yourself in shadow is one example. Another idea is a blade that feeds on the blood of its foes and wielder both, this weapon could have lifestealing effects and an ability that is fueled by lifeforce. Another idea is a weapon that can duplicate itself, letting you wield two of them, and one of its spells could be like the "Conjure Volley" spell, but without spending the material component.

Edit: Big mechanical suggestion; You could give this class a resource which works like monk Ki, the flavor of it being that the weapon allows you to use more of its power as you go up in levels. This resource("Merit" perhaps?) is used to activate Spell Storing abilities in the same way an Elemental Monk or a sorcerer's sorcery points can. This allows some added flexibility when designing abilities for the weapons as well.

About to run out and about but in would rather not give this class a resource mechanic like Ki. That would make the Chosen Warrior magical in some way (or getting close to it) and I'm already pushing it with the Vader picture :p.

But a majority of "chosen heroes/warriors" in fantasy are Strength based. Link for example has some dexterity (but most of that would be athletics or acrobatics proficiency) and relies on Strength, Plot Armor, and Courage to get through the day. I will be adding more fluff but for the most part, most chosen ones tend to be strength based (and people tend to forget Athletics is a thing).

Forcing strength based character to get 14 dex is unfair when no one is forced to get 14 str. Sex is a god stat and only because of someone wanted it to be as such mechanically. I just reject the idea that dexterity should be a god stat or required in some way for this class.

Ferrin33
2017-11-07, 11:10 AM
About to run out and about but in would rather not give this class a resource mechanic like Ki. That would make the Chosen Warrior magical in some way (or getting close to it) and I'm already pushing it with the Vader picture :p.

But a majority of "chosen heroes/warriors" in fantasy are Strength based. Link for example has some dexterity (but most of that would be athletics or acrobatics proficiency) and relies on Strength, Plot Armor, and Courage to get through the day. I will be adding more fluff but for the most part, most chosen ones tend to be strength based (and people tend to forget Athletics is a thing).

Forcing strength based character to get 14 dex is unfair when no one is forced to get 14 str. Sex is a god stat and only because of someone wanted it to be as such mechanically. I just reject the idea that dexterity should be a god stat or required in some way for this class.

A resource that functions like Ki, with the flavor being that the weapon grants you the use of more and more powerful of its abilities as you prove yourself. That's why "Merit" as a resource to show how much power you are granted by your weapon works well mechanically, and fluffwise.

Barbarians are already forced to get Dexterity... if they want the extra AC. You should consider thinking of a different way to not make them rely on dexterity that also fits flavor-wise, but the ability as it is gives the image of "stand still and flex your muscles to deflect blows", as the mechanics let you ignore dexterity altogether. A Strength 20 Dex 8 Chosen Warrior in light armor has just as much AC as someone with 20 dex in light armor, which while balanced mechanically does not translate well to the flavor you're looking for.

I completely agree that the ability scores don't function well for everything, but you are forcing a mechanic which translates into a very different flavor. So far you've described characters that in D&D terms function optimally in medium armor(Very strong, decent dexterity), yet the mechanics let you ignore dexterity(and thus in DnD terms: Dodging) altogether.

"Expert Dodger: You get a +3 bonus to AC while wearing light or no armor and a +1 bonus to AC while wearing medium armor. Your maximum bonus to AC from dexterity while wearing no or light armor is reduced to +2, and your maximum bonus to AC from dexterity while wearing medium armor is reduced to +1. This affects any class feature, spell or ability which lets you add your dexterity bonus to AC."

Something like this reduces the need for a high dexterity while keeping the flavor of actually dodging. You only need a 14 dex in light armor, and a 12 in medium armor to get the full benefit of your AC. Can of course switch some numbers around, but the intent is clear.

Edit: Probably a way better way to phrase that ability: "Expert Dodger: You get a +6 bonus to your dexterity score for the purpose of determining your AC while wearing light or no armor, and a +2 bonus while wearing medium armor, up to a maximum effective dexterity of 20."

Lalliman
2017-11-07, 11:23 AM
Sex is a god stat
Amen brother.

Jokes aside, I find Ferrin's Expert Dodger kind of clunky, but he's right in that alternatives can be considered. For instance, what if you tied the AC bonus to your weapon instead? E.g. while wielding a melee weapon, you can add your Strength to your AC instead of your Dex. This to me implies that instead of dodging for defence, you focus your effort on forceful parries and broad swings that make it hard for your opponent to close the distance. I dunno, just a thought.

Besides, have you answered why you didn't include heavy armour? It would be straight-up the best option if it was included, but I've seen plenty of people wearing full plate but describing it as something lighter on their character sheet.

Ferrin33
2017-11-07, 11:51 AM
Jokes aside, I find Ferrin's Expert Dodger kind of clunky, but he's right in that alternatives can be considered. For instance, what if you tied the AC bonus to your weapon instead? E.g. while wielding a melee weapon, you can add your Strength to your AC instead of your Dex. This to me implies that instead of dodging for defence, you focus your effort on forceful parries and broad swings that make it hard for your opponent to close the distance. I dunno, just a thought.

You still need a good dexterity to properly parry in combat, in fact it's much more important than strength to deflect blows away from you. If strength would increase your ability to parry, it would be in addition to dexterity, much like a shield. (Which would be a pretty neat ability to be honest, a bonus to AC equal to your strength modifier, up to a maximum of +2, and only works when you're wielding a melee weapon and no shield)

Deleted
2017-11-07, 12:57 PM
You still need a good dexterity to properly parry in combat, in fact it's much more important than strength to deflect blows away from you. If strength would increase your ability to parry, it would be in addition to dexterity, much like a shield. (Which would be a pretty neat ability to be honest, a bonus to AC equal to your strength modifier, up to a maximum of +2, and only works when you're wielding a melee weapon and no shield)

This is not real life.

Strength and Dexterity in real life do correlate to each other, watch Olympic gymnasts, but in a fantasy game where they are seperated... Well it doesn't really matter if you have an 8 Dex or not. You can parry with your strength (allowing the attack to meet your weapon and then just pushing it back instead of deflecting) if that's how you want to fluff it. If you're strong enough to have the speed, it can overcome lacking great hand eye coordination (which should be tied to wisdom but 3e showed how weird rules can get for that).

Just remember, this is not a simulation of real life. This is about fantasy characters doing fantasy things.

Ferrin33
2017-11-07, 01:04 PM
The ability scores aim to be an approximation of reality to some extent. It's not perfect, but it functions well enough for many things. Ignoring their purpose in the game entirely, especially when put alongside other characters which do follow these rules, is ignoring the reality of the game.

Deleted
2017-11-07, 06:53 PM
The ability scores aim to be an approximation of reality to some extent. It's not perfect, but it functions well enough for many things. Ignoring their purpose in the game entirely, especially when put alongside other characters which do follow these rules, is ignoring the reality of the game.

Not really.

It's totally out of wack, strength being the targeting ability score already shows that strength and dexterity is innately tied to each other in the game. In the real world as your strength or dexterity goes up, so would the other... But in D&D you can drop one to 8 and the other be put up to 20.

Strength and Dexterity are tied at the hip and having Strength or Dexterity can account for having the other one.

WotC has never done a great job with ability scores and they're more of throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks sort of deal.

The fact that Wisdom (Perception) has nothing to do with aiming is a bit weird.

Lalliman
2017-11-08, 03:22 AM
It's totally out of wack, strength being the targeting ability score already shows that strength and dexterity is innately tied to each other in the game. In the real world as your strength or dexterity goes up, so would the other... But in D&D you can drop one to 8 and the other be put up to 20.
I agree, if Strength can determine the accuracy of your attacks, then it can also be justified to determine your parrying ability. The system is already borked, so it doesn't hurt to run with that logic. My attempt to justify this is that Strength increases the speed at which you move your limbs, not just the force. Dexterity increases fine control over your limbs rather than the speed at which they move. Swinging your sword around rapidly enough can be a viable defence even if you aren't very precise. It's not an impenetrable explanation, but I think it's solid enough to justify a game mechanic.