PDA

View Full Version : Forge cleric vs Arcana cleric

Klorox
2017-11-07, 06:48 AM
I知 going to be playing a cleric in a new game soon. Rolled stats, starting at level 1.

17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 9

Convince me which I should play.

damascoplay
2017-11-08, 08:46 AM
I知 going to be playing a cleric in a new game soon. Rolled stats, starting at level 1.

17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 9

If you want to be a walking tank with high AC and the possibility of turning your weapon or armor into a magic +1 item at level 1,Forge Domain is for you. Besides,at level 6 you gain resistence to fire dmg (wich is super good),+1 to AC (AGAIN) if wearing medium or heavy armor,and extra dmg to constructs. The only problem is the fact that your Divine Strike will deal fire dmg,and a lot of creatures are either resistence or immune to fire dmg.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-08, 08:54 AM
Arcana clerics also make better ranged clerics than Forge, so if you'd rather play from the back, or your party already has multiple melee characters, that might be a factor.

Also, depending on party makeup, having the Arcana cleric's spell list might be more useful. However, if you already have a wizard in the party, this won't be as necessary.

While Arcana clerics can make decent Tanks, I would say that the Forge cleric is better at that role, and if you want to be a melee damage dealer, Forge clerics are good for that as well.

Willie the Duck
2017-11-08, 09:12 AM
Forge clerics are one of the many types of clerics that play like the clerics everyone knows and loves (or hates). Strap on heavy armor, grab a weapon, mix your moderately good attack (and good AC) with spells, and be happy.

Arcana clerics are like light and trickery and knowledge clerics in that you really want to choose those if there's something specific you want to do with them. I don't want to say you have to have a 'build' in mind, but where you put your stats, arcana cleric benefit wizard cantrips, and initial feat (if you choose variant human as a race) is going to determine a lot of what party roles you will be able to take.

Dankus Memakus
2017-11-08, 09:50 AM

17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 9

I played a hill dwarf forge cleric in a one shot a few sessions ago. It was my favorite character mechanically so far. Although I do prefer to slap things with a hammer and then use spells to support my hammer slapping. If you wanna play a blasty magic dude play arcana, I've seen them work well its just....the forge cleric is what I would choose. Its more my general vibe. Basically here's what you need to decide.

Forge cleric=muscles, hammers, tank with supporting magic
Arcana cleric= basically a sturdy spellcaster more like a wizard but able to survive a bit of combat.

Which is more your style?

Mikal
2017-11-08, 10:42 AM
Play whichever one you'd enjoy more