PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Can I get arcane spells through divine spells?

Rakku
2017-11-07, 08:16 AM
Here's the situation: I am stuck, almost completely without spells, in a different plane of existence. So, how did I get here?

We are playing a campaign in wich an ancient evil force and it's followers are trying to get to the material plane to consume it. We figured out a way to replicate a portal that this cultists use to travel through planes and we decided to follow them. We ended up in a distant outer plane and discovered many other portals they were using to invade our world. We managed to close the portals and avoid the disaster, but now we are stuck in this plane with no idea on how to get back home.

My character is very knowledgeable when it comes to different worlds, so she was designated as a sort of guide for the group. The problem is that I'm a Sha'ir. In case you don't know anything about this class, let me explain. The Sha'ir prepare their spells by sending a small elemental familiar to the elemental planes; a few minutes later, the elemental returns and "gives" them their spells. Thing is, the last time I sent my little air elemental to fetch me some spells, he didn't return. So I'm left with no arcane spells. Fortunately, I've taken a few levels in the Skypledge PrC. This PrC allows you to spontaneously cast a couple of divine spells per day from the cleric's and the druid's spell list. However, I can cast just a few of them each day.

So, my question is this: żIs there any cleric or druid spell of 5th level or less that allows me to get some arcane spells?

I really need my spellcasting versatility back. Cheers.

Cruiser1
2017-11-07, 08:54 AM
Thing is, the last time I sent my little air elemental to fetch me some spells, he didn't return.
So, my question is this: żIs there any cleric or druid spell of 5th level or less that allows me to get some arcane spells? Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm) is a Cleric 5 spell, so just cast it to get back home, where hopefully your arcane spells will work again.

You can also try casting Cleric 4 spell Sending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm) to send a message to your elemental, and ask him where he is and what's going on.

Rakku
2017-11-07, 09:10 AM
Plane Shift is a Cleric 5 spell, so just cast it to get back home, where hopefully your arcane spells will work again.

You can also try casting Cleric 4 spell Sending to send a message to your elemental, and ask him where he is and what's going on.

Unfortunately, that won't work. For story reasons I won't be able to travel via Plane Shift nor send messages to other planes.

Psyren
2017-11-07, 10:49 AM
Your gen is only supposed to be detained temporarily even if you/they completely botch the retrieval check. This is the equivalent of going to prepare your spells on a wizard only to have the GM say your spellbook was stolen in the middle of the night. (Worse, because you can't even use a borrowed or stolen one in its place.)

Unfortunately, that won't work. For story reasons I won't be able to travel via Plane Shift nor send messages to other planes.

I suggest firing up your Nintendo DS and asking when you'll be allowed to participate in the game again.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-07, 11:02 AM
Anyspell and greater anyspell will give you some arcane spells, but they are Spell domain-exclusive. Summon monster and summon nature's ally do get you some effects (consult the relevant guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255219-The-Summoner-s-Desk-Reference-D-amp-D-3-5)), but not all, and not for long.

Other than that, you're out of luck. Spell engine is wizard-only, and an 8th-level spell to boot (meaning you'd need to miracle it). Polymorph doesn't grant SLAs or casting.

Eldariel
2017-11-07, 11:07 AM
Well, there's Anyspell in Spell-domain but that's about it... And it's not a default Cleric spell so probably not available to you. Hmm, there are some spells that recall other spells but most of those are arcane too. What about Sanctified/Vile spells to bypass some of these issues for now? There's the Substitute Domain spell from Complete Champion to substitute domains for ones your deity has; since Sha'ir has innate access to some domains, perhaps you could wiggle your way around with that a bit?

Honestly, your best bet is to probably use the Planar Ally-spells to access something that can fight for you for now.

noob
2017-11-07, 11:07 AM
Abuse miser with magic and Anyspell and greater anyspell and then you have two arcane spells you can use some times per day(until you run out of miser with magic power)

Nifft
2017-11-07, 11:16 AM
We figured out a way to replicate a portal that this cultists use to travel through planes and we decided to follow them. We ended up in a distant outer plane and discovered many other portals they were using to invade our world. We managed to close the portals and avoid the disaster, but now we are stock in this plane with no idea on how to get back home.

Why not just replicate a portal back home? Or replicate a portal to somewhere friendlier?

Heh, make a portal to the Positive Energy Plane, and then just plane shift from there once you are through. Leave them a portal to a place that seems benign, but explodes them when they overstay.

noob
2017-11-07, 11:19 AM
Maybe
Wait they make a portal.
Use invisibility to enter the portal.
Use simulacrum on a cool wizard.
Play that simulacrum instead of playing yourself.

ATHATH
2017-11-07, 12:06 PM
Seconding Sanctified/Corrupt spells, although I'm not sure if it's RAW-legal to be able to prepare them without your gen familiar around.

Remember that Neutral characters can cast both Sanctified and Corrupt spells; they're not Exalted and Evil-exclusive.