PDA

View Full Version : Feat for celestial pact warlock?

Rfkannen
2017-11-07, 08:17 AM
So I had a plan for my character's level ups at level 1, but the actual game happened and that plan isn't working, so im not sure what feat to take now that I'm level 4.

My character is a tiefling celestial warlock. 20 charisma, 17 dex, 5 str, 10 con. As of level 4 I have 18 hit points (I rolled very badly levels 2 and 3). Invocations are book of shadows and agonizing blast.

My party has 7 people in it, 2 tanks, 2 healers/blasters (me and an alchemist artificer), 2 controller mage people, and a bow user.

So my plan was to take inspiring leader, but I learned that it doesn't stack with the celestial warlock level 10 feature (and anyway my character isn't the leader type), so im not sure what to take now.

Warcaster seems obvious, but im very rarely in melee, so im not sure how useful it is. Really curious on what you guys think of this one.

pretty sure the artificer is taking healer, I don't want to overlap.

moderately armor would be weird, as it would bring me to +4 dex, making it so I don't want to wear medium armor anymore. It would really be +1 ac and disadvantage on stealth. Seems like a bad trade.

lucky I don't really know about.

Resilient con, I haven't been hit in combat yet (good tanks) so im not sure how useful it is, but the gm has said that she is going to throw much harder encounters at us so it might be more useful than I think. But I have 10 con, and bringing me to 11 is kind of pointless.

What would you take?

ps(less important but if you have suggestions for level 5 invocations I would also love those!)

HermanTheWize
2017-11-07, 08:29 AM
What's your Wisdom and Intellect scores?

nickl_2000
2017-11-07, 08:30 AM
-Spell Sniper is always a good choice for Warlock
-In a party your size Healer would provide a lot of HP overall per rest.
-Lucky is always a good feat for anyone
-Alert is always a good feat for anyone
-Ritual Caster could fill in missing spells for the party if there is a need for it
-Durable may be decent to help out with HP, but if you aren't getting hit maybe not. Tough could be the same

If you don't like these options, look at the skill feats that will add flavor to your character, like Gourmand (pun total intended).

Rfkannen
2017-11-07, 08:39 AM
What's your Wisdom and Intellect scores?

14 int, 11 wisdom

-Spell Sniper is always a good choice for Warlock
-In a party your size Healer would provide a lot of HP overall per rest.
-Lucky is always a good feat for anyone
-Alert is always a good feat for anyone
-Ritual Caster could fill in missing spells for the party if there is a need for it
-Durable may be decent to help out with HP, but if you aren't getting hit maybe not. Tough could be the same

If you don't like these options, look at the skill feats that will add flavor to your character, like Gourmand (pun total intended).

I agree with healer, I was going to take it before the artificer said she was going to.

I have book of shadows, so I don't need ritual caster.

The other ones all sound good, but I can't pick which one!

nickl_2000
2017-11-07, 08:44 AM
14 int, 11 wisdom

I agree with healer, I was going to take it before the artificer said she was going to.

I have book of shadows, so I don't need ritual caster.

The other ones all sound good, but I can't pick which one!

Sorry, I completely forgot about the Book of Shadows in you OP. That is completely my fault.

In your situation I would take Spell Sniper. It gives that extra cantrip, which can be super useful, allows you to ignore cover and lets you fire spells from even further away. All of that is good for a squishy.
On the other hand, if your DM doesn't play the bad guys as using cover then go with a non combat feat that will help in RP situations.

HermanTheWize
2017-11-07, 08:54 AM
+1 Wis and +1 Dex wouldn't be bad either.

-Higher AC
-Higher Saves(2 very important ones)
-Higher Initiative
-Alot of useful Skills +1(Stealth, Perception, Insight.....etc)

A lot of stuff

solidork
2017-11-07, 10:37 AM
Don't forget that Moderately Armored also gets you proficiency in Shields as well as medium armor. I'd also consider Resilient(Dexterity).

Joe the Rat
2017-11-07, 10:43 AM
You're overall very willowy (5 str!). Medium armor would just about eat your carrying capacity, but the feat also gets you shield use, which may be worthwhile. Bump strength with the feat, you get a little more room to carry. Also, breastplate doesn't impose a stealth penalty.

Do you hide a lot? If you're stealthing, Skulker might be helpful.

Herman's +1 Dex +1 Wis would actually help you quite a bit. You might even consider +1 Dex +1 Str to be a little less awful physically (-2s instead of -3s, and boost you from 75lb to 90lb of gear)

QuintonBeck
2017-11-07, 11:43 AM
I think Herman's suggestion for +1s to Dex and Wis may give you the most mileage overall. It's easy to fall into the trap of wanting to take feats and not ASIs because Feats give you neat tricks and ASIs just bumb your numbers but sometimes numbers need to be bumped.

If you really want to take a feat though I feel like Lucky is the best "I don't know what feat to take" feat to take. It's always available, always useful, and can be an encounter maker/breaker if you choose your rerolls well.

Rfkannen
2017-11-07, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I completely forgot about the Book of Shadows in you OP. That is completely my fault.

In your situation I would take Spell Sniper. It gives that extra cantrip, which can be super useful, allows you to ignore cover and lets you fire spells from even further away. All of that is good for a squishy.
On the other hand, if your DM doesn't play the bad guys as using cover then go with a non combat feat that will help in RP situations.

All good!

Yeah cover rules have literally never come up,.

I think Herman's suggestion for +1s to Dex and Wis may give you the most mileage overall. It's easy to fall into the trap of wanting to take feats and not ASIs because Feats give you neat tricks and ASIs just bumb your numbers but sometimes numbers need to be bumped.

If you really want to take a feat though I feel like Lucky is the best "I don't know what feat to take" feat to take. It's always available, always useful, and can be an encounter maker/breaker if you choose your rerolls well.

hmm alright, the stat boost or lucky seem to be the best!

Both seem pretty useful, lucky could really save me from that fear of getting one shot, but +1 dex would give me the initiative and the ac, which are really useful! I'm not sure if wisdom will be that useful, I mean perception but other that im not sure. SO they seem about equal to me. 2 good options though! and I hadn't considered the stat boost because my charisma is 20 so I am grateful for the idea!

Rfkannen
2017-11-12, 12:28 PM
Sorry to necro a thread, but I just bought the feat section of xanathars on beyond, and saw Flames of Phlegethos, gives you +1 int or cha, reroll fire damage, and when you do a fire spell, for the next turn when someone melee hits you they take 1d4 damage.

Does this seem like a good option?

Also what about tomb of levistus for invocation?

Sigreid
2017-11-12, 12:48 PM
I favor crossbow expert so you don't have to have disadvantage on EB when opponents close on you.