PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How could one go about teleporting a creature to them?

cameronswayze
2017-11-07, 09:31 AM
I'm currently in the ideas phase of building a something/something/abjurant champion probably starting at 7th level. Long story short, I want him to have a dire bear mount (because why not?) I was also thinking maybe he has a homestead somewhere where the dire bear stays when not in use. Then, when it is needed, teleport the bear from the homestead to my current location and vice versa. Is there anything that works of a single specific target over large distances? I was hoping to put it in a ring or something so I don't have to burn spell slots.

Another option I would be okay with would be something like how Vex from Critical Role has a necklace that she keeps her bear in. I don't know if there is anything like that in 3.5 that works on a non-ranger with a non-animal companion...

Oh wise and powerful nerds of the forums, please lend me your wisdom!

Bronk
2017-11-07, 10:19 AM
I think what you're describing most closely matches a Paladin's Mount feature... have you looked into that?

Otherwise, maybe you could train your animal to trail you and your party, then show up when called? (Like Xena's horse Argo...)

Psyren
2017-11-07, 10:21 AM
Just forget about it when it's not needed, like Vaarsuvius and Blackwing :smallbiggrin:

(You might have better luck shrinking your companion, or transforming it into something portable, than you will teleporting it back and forth.)

Fizban
2017-11-07, 10:23 AM
If you want a pokeball, the spell is Smokey Confinement from Complete Mage. Getting your non-bonded bear to teleport to you is not a worthwhile effort.

TalonOfAnathrax
2017-11-07, 10:46 AM
3.0 had the fantastic bracelet of friends item in the DMG!
I don't have my books handy, but maybe it still exists?

DeTess
2017-11-07, 11:19 AM
3.0 had the fantastic bracelet of friends item in the DMG!
I don't have my books handy, but maybe it still exists?

It does: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#braceletofFriends

However, it only gets 4 shots for its 19k gp cost, so it's not the most cost effective.

Bronk
2017-11-07, 12:26 PM
How about... a Dire Bear pet obtained through the Wild Cohort feat, and form a link between the two of you with a permanent 'telepathic bond'. Its arrival time could be hastened by giving it a winged cloak, and you could summon it with a free action.

I do like the smokey confinement spell too, although it's at least a move or standard action to get the bear back out.

How about doing both? A dire bear wild cohort, with wings, always just out of sight, called telepathically, plus an indefinite number of regular dire bears in fragile glass containers that you can toss around at will, perhaps even forming a dire bear bomb by crunching them all at once?

TalonOfAnathrax
2017-11-07, 12:40 PM
It does: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#braceletofFriends

However, it only gets 4 shots for its 19k gp cost, so it's not the most cost effective.

4 shots? It used to be more.
I remember spending half my WBL on two of these back in the day, and then trying it again and again until the target rolled a one on their save. All it needs to work is a face and a name, so it's a great tool to teleport someone to you and kill or interrogate them!
A crafter PC could create them with higher save DCs I suppose.

Dragolord
2017-11-07, 03:05 PM
The most direct route would be to Awaken it, teach it magic, and wait until it learns Teleport without Error. Obviously.

Getsugaru
2017-11-07, 10:00 PM
:mitd: I'd do it for you, but I'm not even sure how I did it for O-Chu - I mean, for Mr. Stiffy and his elf friend.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered something that might be of use to you. As stated under Words of Creation, Book of Exalted Deeds, if you know something's true name, you can "cast teleport or greater teleport on the creature without including [yourself] as a target for the spell." Combine that with the previously mentioned Bracelet of Friends or another reliable manner of calling the bear to you from your home, and voila. Mind you, it does require a higher-level spell each time you want to send your bear home, and unless someone else can think of another, cheaper manner to keep teleporting the bear back to your location, you're spending approximately 4,750gp per summoning of the bear.

Alternatively, find some way to give the bear the outsider type and use planar binding to call and subsequently dismiss your bear. This method is very much not what I'd recommend for the long run, but it is technically an option.

zergling.exe
2017-11-08, 12:33 AM
4 shots? It used to be more.
I remember spending half my WBL on two of these back in the day, and then trying it again and again until the target rolled a one on their save. All it needs to work is a face and a name, so it's a great tool to teleport someone to you and kill or interrogate them!
A crafter PC could create them with higher save DCs I suppose.

Huh, that's funny. They reduced the uses from 7 to 4, made it only work on willing targets AND they increased it's cost by 5x (3.0 had it cost 4,550 compared to 19,000 in 3.5). People must have really abused it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-08, 12:45 AM
Be a druid and summon it?