PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What can a Living Construct wizard do that a regular wizard can't?

BelligerentGnu
2017-11-07, 11:38 AM
I'm currently playing a Warforged Wizard in a long-term campaign, using this (sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder) conversion wiki. Over time, I want to play with that concept mechanically, make him more than just a wizard who stays awake at night. I don't really have the depth of rules/content knowledge to know where to start, though.

Could I make parts of myself separate constructs, turn myself into a kind of Voltron? Are there spells or planes that my status as a construct would let me interact with in new ways? Could I have a stronger connection with Golems than a normal wizard in some way? These are the sorts of things I'm thinking of, but I'd love to hear other ideas.

For reference, here are the "Living Construct" type rules:

Living constructs are special subtype that can apply to either humanoids or constructs. Living constructs are universally intelligent, if not necessarily very smart. Likewise, they are universally capable of change over time. While House Cannith claims to have invented this particular type of construct to fill the ranks of the Last War, there is some evidence that other, older living constructs existed during the times of the giants in Xen'Drik, thousands of years ago. Regardless of whether this subtype is applied to either humanoids or constructs, they all have the following abilities.

* Unlike constructs, living constructs have a Constitution score. They do not get the bonus hit points due to their size, like normal constructs. Living constructs do not die until they are at negative hit points equal to their Constitution score, but are subject to the same rules for negative hit points as other humanoid creatures.

* All living constructs have an Intelligence score of at least 1 and thus have skill ranks and feats as appropriate for their Hit Dice. * Dying living constructs have a +2 racial bonus to stabilization checks.

* Like constructs, living constructs are immune to paralysis and sleep effects.

* Unlike constructs, living constructs are not immune to disease, death effects, energy drain, exhaustion, fatigue, mind-affecting, nausea, poison, stunning and sickened effects, but they do get a +2 racial bonus to saving throws to resist them.

* Unlike constructs, living constructs are not immune to ability damage, ability drain, bleed, necromancy effects (see below), negative levels, non-lethal damage, effects that require a Fortitude save or death from massive damage.

* Living constructs do not need to eat, breath or sleep, but those with abilities that require rest, like spellcasting, still require 8 hours in a relaxed state to regain them. Spells from the conjuration (healing) subschool are only half effective on living constructs, rounded down.

* Like constructs, living constructs do not heal naturally, but can be repaired using an appropriate Craft skill (like armorsmithing, blacksmithing, gemcutting or sculpting). Each check takes 8 hours and the number of hit points regained is equal to the result of the Craft check -15.

* Living constructs can be raised, reincarnated and resurrected. They cannot be reanimated as undead or deathless unless specifically stated otherwise.

* Living constructs do not get low-light vision or darkvision, unless stated otherwise. Regardless of whether the creature type is either humanoid or construct, those with the living construct subtype count as both humanoids (of the living construct subtype) and constructs for extraordinary abilities, supernatural abilities, spell-like effects, psi-like effects, feats, spells and psionic powers. This includes spells, like Repair Light Damage, special weapon qualities, like Bane (construct), and class abilities, like favored enemy (construct). If there a situation where the same effect would affect humanoids and constructs differently, like Charm Person, assume that the effect does apply and in the most severe applicable manner.

I should also state that I'm not looking to break the game here, just develop cool abilities and/or flavour.

Anyone have suggestions? (unseenmage, I summon thee! :P )

noob
2017-11-07, 11:40 AM
This wizard is a construct and so it can be improved through the construct improving rules if he use craft construct and money he can give itself 2 extra int every 5000 gp which is a much better trade than headband of intellect above +2.(and there is no cap to it)(there is also a bunch of other construct modifiers you can use)
He can also do that for his con and his dex.
Also you might convince your gm to implement back the "alter self allows to turn in another creature of the same type" and then disguise as an animated table or a chair(or any other medium or small object).(or if the gm do not do so you can make unlimited bad-ass armies of undead under your control)
There is probably boost spells specific to constructs you can now use and you can now use your arcane spells to heal yourself.
Maybe there is still warforged components which can not be stolen in pathfinder and so you could possibly grab some and enchant them.(and have magic items who can not be stolen)

Psyren
2017-11-07, 03:11 PM
Warforged have special immunities other races don't, and can attach warforged components. That's basically it. Oh, and they don't need to sleep to prep their spells, though they still need to rest, kinda like elves.

Note that you have arcane spell failure as a Warforged Wizard unless you took Unarmored Body or something.