PDA

View Full Version : Speculation WotC is hiring...and what we can learn from that.

DracoKnight
2017-11-07, 11:42 AM
So Mike Mearles tweeted out this link (http://company.wizards.com/job/game-designer-dungeons-dragons-job-renton-wa-us). Pretty standard stuff, nothing for me personally to get excited about since I don't live in Washington...but then I noticed, part of the job description is updating a setting for 5e!

lunaticfringe
2017-11-07, 11:48 AM
I mean it's possible ne likely something is on the backburner but I read that more as a 'for example' based on context.

I'm sure they have all sortsa stuff floating around. Its a GD imagination game.

SkipSandwich
2017-11-07, 11:50 AM
I know it'll probablly never happen but finger's crossed for an official 5e port of the d20 Modern system and assorted settings!

alchahest
2017-11-07, 12:14 PM
it'll probably be forgotten realms. just more of it.

Vaz
2017-11-07, 12:49 PM
I know it'll probablly never happen but finger's crossed for an official 5e port of the d20 Modern system and assorted settings!

I'm hoping For more variant initiative

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-07, 12:54 PM
Since the first bit said "Updating a setting" I assumed it meant more forgotten realms or the bits that were left behind in 4th edition such as Maztica.

However, later on, it says "Take part in writing groups, helping to brainstorm story details for new elements of D&D’s worlds and stories, such as heroes, villains, monsters, and worlds." The repeated use of worlds makes me think they might go back to the multiple setting idea.

Finieous
2017-11-07, 01:12 PM
Historically, it means they're preparing to fire someone more senior (and expensive) before the holidays.

HermanTheWize
2017-11-07, 01:27 PM
Would be cool, I'd love to be able to help create/refine this system and help brainstorm stories.

All I could boast to them is a high level knowledge of probabilistic models, statistics and actuarial science.

Wish I had more than my moderate knowledge of fantasy, feel like that might be a bigger key concept.

My skills would only be really useful if they are looking more for mechanics.

Arkhios
2017-11-07, 01:35 PM
Aww, why do they need their employees to live in Washington? Especially now that everything is so global anyway? (I'd love to apply for the job, but for reasons of my own, couldn't relocate)

EvilAnagram
2017-11-07, 01:41 PM
Aww, why do they need their employees to live in Washington? Especially now that everything is so global anyway? (I'd love to apply for the job, but for reasons of my own, couldn't relocate)

I'm an editor with a publishing company that travels around the world, and we still have a handful of regional offices because meeting with your coworkers face-to-face is so important to smooth functioning. For WotC, it's even more important to be able to bounce ideas off each other.

Arkhios
2017-11-07, 01:44 PM
I'm an editor with a publishing company that travels around the world, and we still have a handful of regional offices because meeting with your coworkers face-to-face is so important to smooth functioning. For WotC, it's even more important to be able to bounce ideas off each other.

I see the point now, thanks.

Family goes first for me though. Couldn't leave them behind and couldn't force them to accompany me either.

It's a real pity :(

As for the implications of this job ad, there are quite a few settings that could need an expanded team to work on its update. It could be Eberron, for sure (and I hope so), but it could be any other as well.

Gryndle
2017-11-07, 02:10 PM
yeah, on one hand that would be my dream job, and the benefits package alone is enticing. BUT first there is the relocation problem. Then there is the fact that Hasbro has a habit of working employees like dogs to prep for holiday season and then cut jobs like crazy. And then there is my disability.

So while the job is a nice thought, I think it would be a gamble for anyone, could be awesome, could be a good way to get screwed

Mikal
2017-11-07, 03:19 PM
My heart says Birthright if they ever update a setting, my head says Dragonlance or Dark Sun

LordEntrails
2017-11-07, 04:47 PM
Given that Mearls and the other executives are well aware of how every word is such a job posting will be critically reviewed and a thousand theories will be created to a count for every possible interpretation, I would say it is pretty safe to assume that drawing any specific conclusions from the wording is folly.

How ... creative we (the RPG community) is on these things makes me think of the fervor of JFK conspiracy theorists :)

Vaz
2017-11-07, 04:53 PM
Given that Mearls and the other executives are well aware of how every word is such a job posting will be critically reviewed and a thousand theories will be created to a count for every possible interpretation, I would say it is pretty safe to assume that drawing any specific conclusions from the wording is folly.

How ... creative we (the RPG community) is on these things makes me think of the fervor of JFK conspiracy theorists :)

Ironically enough given the community, we're actually pretty ****.

Deleted
2017-11-07, 06:59 PM
You would think that with all the 2e, 3e, and 4e setting information that people still use (I don't know much about 1e settings) that they could easily get people to make some quality settings.

Hollow World could be an interesting take on a setting. Making a setting that is more sandbox in style would work well with the message they want to send with 5e... All while they leave the less sandboxy setting to their main team.

Malifice
2017-11-07, 09:22 PM
I'm hoping For more variant initiative

Another imprssive contribution. Keep up the good work.

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-07, 09:28 PM
You would think that with all the 2e, 3e, and 4e setting information that people still use (I don't know much about 1e settings) that they could easily get people to make some quality settings.

I like to assume that this community isn't dumb enough to buy the settings without some improvements made to the quality of the writing and the world building. Having the information is one thing. Describing it coherently is another. Describing it coherently in 500 words or less is even harder. Not to mention that the job posting is clearly about making adventures, which can't just be ported from older editions.

Also, I hope that one day they'll clean up a few world building issues like Lantan's export of caravan supplies.

pwykersotz
2017-11-12, 11:08 AM
Hmm... I live in Washington...

snafuy
2017-11-12, 12:07 PM
There's a lot of references to storytelling abilty in that posting. At first I was leaning towards a setting splatbook like SCAG, but by the end I'd bet that it's an adventure.

Vaz
2017-11-12, 04:24 PM
Another imprssive contribution. Keep up the good work.
If you say so, guy-specifically-starting-fight-to-derail-****.

War_lord
2017-11-12, 05:05 PM
"Updating a setting" more then likely just means updating something like Kara-tur for an adventure book.

SirGraystone
2017-11-14, 12:41 PM
Missing from Xanathar new book are all the psionics. My wild guess would be upgrading a setting using more psionics powers like Planescape or Dark Sun.

Fishybugs
2017-11-14, 12:45 PM
Missing from Xanathar new book are all the psionics. My wild guess would be upgrading a setting using more psionics powers like Planescape or Dark Sun.

And if we're all lucky, it will continue to be missing from all other releases....

I haven't like psionics from the time they first rolled them out.

DracoKnight
2017-11-14, 12:56 PM
And if we're all lucky, it will continue to be missing from all other releases....

So what you mean to say is that if you’re lucky, it’ll be missing from future books.

Some of us actually enjoy the character concepts that publishing rules for psionics would open the door for.

Arkhios
2017-11-14, 01:25 PM

Are you saying that you haven't liked psionics since AD&D, or just as recently as in 5th edition?

Psionics have basically always (since 1976) been an essential part of the D&D multiverse, and, whether you like it or not, it'll be part of it in future as well.

War_lord
2017-11-14, 01:34 PM
Psionics have basically always (since 1976) been an essential part of the D&D multiverse

You mean they've always been poorly implemented and against tone?

Fishybugs
2017-11-14, 01:39 PM
You mean they've always been poorly implemented and against tone?

That right there.

EvilAnagram
2017-11-14, 01:40 PM
Are you saying that you haven't liked psionics since AD&D, or just as recently as in 5th edition?

Psionics have basically always (since 1976) been an essential part of the D&D multiverse, and, whether you like it or not, it'll be part of it in future as well.

I don't know how "essential" they are when they only really fit into one setting and have never been in a core book, but I have no problem with other tables enjoying them as they please.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-14, 01:48 PM
Oh man, I can't wait for them to finally put out a proper setting book for Forgotten Realms!

/snark

I'd bet on Eberron first due to marketability, though there's a few others that I'd be more excited to see.

Nifft
2017-11-14, 01:52 PM
I don't know how "essential" they are when they only really fit into one setting and have never been in a core book, but I have no problem with other tables enjoying them as they please.

Psionics are good in Greyhawk, Dark Sun, and Eberron.

Psionics are good when I do a homebrew setting that uses them.

I dunno how essential they are, but I've seen them used well, including in my own games.

Arkhios
2017-11-14, 01:56 PM

Every setting I've seen or heard about over the years I've played have at least mentioned psionic users in their lore, in one way or the other. In some it's only a surface scrape, but in some it's more thoroughly explored. I'd say it's essential enough. Implementation is a different issue altogether.

SirGraystone
2017-11-14, 02:00 PM

Like them or not, Wizards has been testing psionics in unearthed arcana which mean they are thinking of making something official with them.

KorvinStarmast
2017-11-14, 02:30 PM
You would think that with all the 2e, 3e, and 4e setting information that people still use (I don't know much about 1e settings) that they could easily get people to make some quality settings. Greyhawk and FR were both around as settings in 1e, in various shapes and forms. IIRC, Mystara and The Grand Duchy of Karameikos were BECMI standard settings by the mid to late 80's.

Hollow World could be an interesting take on a setting. Workable.

If you say so, guy-specifically-starting-fight-to-derail-****. Can we not do this? I thought your sarcastic quip on messing with initiative was sorta funny (that UA was a hot mess IMO) but maybe not everyone took it the same way.
Missing from Xanathar new book are all the psionics. My wild guess would be upgrading a setting using more psionics powers like Planescape or Dark Sun. I prefer the latter, but can live with the former.

Are you saying that you haven't liked psionics since AD&D, or just as recently as in 5th edition? Psionics have basically always (since 1976) been an essential part of the D&D multiverse, and, whether you like it or not, it'll be part of it in future as well. A little bit on why they were controversial/clunky from the get go (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/72422/22566)... I read a few posts on enworld and on dragonsfoot where EGG indicated that he wished it weren't as half baked in the original form in AD&D PHB. Apparently, Tim Kask was the major proponent of how it ended up in the OD&D Supplement III (Eldritch Wizardry, which he edited) and based on some of his posts I've read in the past, he really liked psionics at the table.

You mean they've always been poorly implemented and against tone? EGG seems to have felt that way, and it's been hard to get untangled since then, though there have been some decent attempts.
Oh man, I can't wait for them to finally put out a proper setting book for Forgotten Realms!
Well, there's a whole lot of that world that isn't the Sword Coast, so I'd like to see more of that world covered.

Burnteyes
2017-11-14, 02:55 PM
Put me down for hoping for Psionics and Greyhawk, specifically Lankhmar.

There is a kickstarter Lankhmar already out/in progress and the aforementioned UA on Psionics so... Wish me luck?