PDA

View Full Version : bonus to Bard instruments

leegi0n
2017-11-07, 11:56 AM
Playgrounders,

Is it possible to have a +'x' to an instrument for a bard? Like, a +2 violin, for example. If so, is there source material on it? How would the bonus apply?....I mean, unless you're smashing your instrument over the orc's head, you know?

Thanks in advance -

Matrota
2017-11-07, 12:01 PM
As far as I know it's certainly possible to enhance an instrument, but that would just increase it's damage and to-hit modifiers. Unless you're playing a didgeridoo that doubles as a greatclub, not very beneficial. Were you looking for an enchantment that boosted bardic music or something along those lines?

Nifft
2017-11-07, 12:16 PM
A masterwork instrument can get you +2 on your Perform checks.

There have been write-ups about specific instruments (either masterwork or otherwise) which give you other specific bonuses.

Of course, you cannot just apply weapon enhancement bonuses to a weapon and expect it to give those bonuses to non-weapon uses... but I do like the idea of smashing a guitar into an orc's face.

leegi0n
2017-11-07, 12:42 PM
Ok. Yeah, that answers my question. A masterwork instrument providing bonus to perform. That makes total sense.

Thank you guys.

Rijan_Sai
2017-11-07, 01:42 PM
but I do like the idea of smashing a guitar into an orc's face.

Well, it's not called an "axe" for nothing! :smallbiggrin:

In Song and Silence, starting on page 41, there is a long list of instruments that give various bonuses to bardic music abilities. Each of them are masterwork (though you have to choose between the MW bonus and the BM effects.)

Vaern
2017-11-08, 05:44 AM
The table of magic item creation guidelines includes items that grant bonuses to skill checks. It's priced at a reasonable [bonus]²*100.
A masterwork instrument gives a +2 circumstance bonus to your perform skill. Enchanting a masterwork violin to +2 would add a +2 competence bonus, which would stack to a total bonus of +4.