PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Archmagus Patron (Warlock 5e)

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-11-07, 01:49 PM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12nRtKO0G13VZyMDxJg41lFz3Qh6UR3aC

If the Cleric gets to act like a Wizard, I see no reason why the Warlock can’t either. Inspired by the Arcana and Knowledge Clerics, this Warlock makes their pact not with an extraplanar being, but a powerful wizard. Some retools of Arcana Cleric’s abilities, inspiration from the new Inquisitive Rogue, and the Wizard itself all helped to build this new Patron. Any suggestions or criticisms are always appreciated.

JNAProductions
2017-11-07, 02:05 PM
Honestly? Feels a tad weak. You could probably buff it and still be properly balanced.

Ferrin33
2017-11-07, 02:35 PM
I like the idea behind this a lot.

Extended Spell List: You might want to consider some more useful spells for the spell list, keeping the warlock's pact magic and limited spell slots in mind. Magic Missile is also a bit useless when you consider the warlock has Eldritch Blast.

Arcane Insight: I suggest limiting this to a short/long rest cooldown for using this ability on any specific creature. So you can use it on any number of creatures without resting, but only once per creature until you finish a short or long rest.

All of the other abilities don't make me think of something that a wizard gives to someone.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-11-07, 03:16 PM
I like the idea behind this a lot.

Extended Spell List: You might want to consider some more useful spells for the spell list, keeping the warlock's pact magic and limited spell slots in mind. Magic Missile is also a bit useless when you consider the warlock has Eldritch Blast.

Arcane Insight: I suggest limiting this to a short/long rest cooldown for using this ability on any specific creature. So you can use it on any number of creatures without resting, but only once per creature until you finish a short or long rest.

All of the other abilities don't make me think of something that a wizard gives to someone.

I’d wanna keep it as use per rest because of the level 14 feature.

Ferrin33
2017-11-07, 10:12 PM
I’d wanna keep it as use per rest because of the level 14 feature.

You could have the level 14 feature be 1/short rest to fix that, but... it's honestly so bad as written that being able to use it at-will would still have it be pretty bad. I really suggest looking into the key concept of: "Archmage as patron", what kind of boons a wizard might give to those he makes a pact with, what would be in his power to do. One flavorful idea is that the warlock gets Glyphs on his body/weapon/book or the like, which he can activate to gain a benefit, or are activated automatically. Being able to choose between two or three different glyphs every short rest lets the warlock get a short-rest variant of preparing spells, but a minor version of it. That's just an example of course.