PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Musteval Build?

Thurbane
2017-11-07, 07:14 PM
Assuming you were allowed to play a Musteval (BoED) with +0 LA (you still need to have 2 outsider RHD), and had 6 class levels to add (i.e. Outsider 2/X 6), what would you play?

The character would be in a party with a Human Ranger 8 (archery, spell-less variant), Human Warmage 6/Sand Shaper 2, and Aasimar Paladin 8 (spell-less variant).

Party would probably appreciate a buffer and/or skillmonkey.

Abilities would either be heroic array, or random rolling (4d6 best 3, arrange in any order, one re-roll allowed).

Most sources allowed, with the following exceptions: no psionics, no incarnum, no Artificers, (campaign reasons). No Pathfinder. Prefer to avoid Dragon Mag, FR or Eberron specific material, and also to avoid 3rd party and homebrew. Also, again for campaign reasons, casting classes are restricted to spontaneous casters (Sorcerer, Bard, Beguiler, Favored Soul etc.). No Cleric, Druid or Wizard.

Cheers - T

Rizban
2017-11-07, 08:37 PM
-4 Str, +8 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Wis, +2 Cha.
Most important ability is Focused Movement, which is effectively Flyby Attack that applies to all movement.

So, we're looking for something that's mobile, doesn't rely on strength, and likes using standard action abilities.

With that magic class level number of 8, I'm inclined to go Factotum. All your other ability scores are covered, so you can put your best roll or all your point buy into Int and basically ignore the rest while still having a good array. Cunning Surge at Factotum 8 gives you the ability to move, pop off two standard actions, and then continue your movement while giving you a fair number of options.

Palanan
2017-11-07, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Thurbane
Party would probably appreciate a buffer and/or skillmonkey.

If you’re limited to spontaneous casters, then it looks like a choice between bard and beguiler.

I would go with beguiler, just because I love the class, and it fits well with the musteval’s natural SLAs. A musteval would make a great scout and infiltrator, and beguiler spells would fit that theme.

Sadly spontaneous casters can’t select sanctified spells, because Telepathy Tap would be perfect for an invisible infiltrator, but at least there’s the option of casting it from a scroll, if your DM is that generous.

ATHATH
2017-11-07, 08:55 PM
If you’re limited to spontaneous casters, then it looks like a choice between bard and beguiler.

I would go with beguiler, just because I love the class, and it fits well with the musteval’s natural SLAs. A musteval would make a great scout and infiltrator, and beguiler spells would fit that theme.

Sadly spontaneous casters can’t select sanctified spells, because Telepathy Tap would be perfect for an invisible infiltrator, but at least there’s the option of casting it from a scroll, if your DM is that generous.
You could use the Arcane Preparation feat to prepare and cast Sanctified spells.

Maybe you could go with some ToB class and/or a Spellthief?

Long_shanks
2017-11-07, 10:13 PM
How about Scout (or Ranger/Scout with the Swift Hunter feat)?
I love the scout, but skirmish is always a pain to use. Focused movement solves this problem easily (and there are probably a few ways to optimize this ability beyong that). The ability scores bonuses also work quite well for a finesse or an archery focused scout.
Tiny size means easy scouting. And 6+int skills and trapfinding fills the skillmonkey role.

2017-11-07, 10:16 PM
Barring the fact that being a couple levels behind will hurt your feat progression, this race looks like a good set-up for a nice Swift Hunter build.

EDIT: Ninja'd, of course. >.< Anyway, you'll likely be wanting to go the Greater Manyshot route.

Nifft
2017-11-07, 11:09 PM
Can you use the SRD's spontaneous Divine casters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm)? If so, combine the Spontaneous Cleric with the Cloistered Cleric and you'd be a perfect mix of spontaneous buffer + skill-monkey.

Mustavel 2 / Sorcerer 2 / Scout 1 / Unseen Seer 3+

This puts you squarely in the Skill Monkey bucket, but with some casting that will improve over time.

At 9th level you'll cast as a level 6 Sorcerer, so pick up a [Reserve] feat like Acid Splash or Invisible Needle for synergy with your +2d6 Skirmish damage and racial movement ability.

Cap off with Exalted Arcanist.

Mustavel 2 / Dragonfire Adept 6

Humanoid Form here we go! Take Draconic Aura (vigor) at level 3. This will probably under-perform but you're a Tiny mouse who can roar.

Mustavel 2 / Bard 6

Probably the strongest support, if you don't care about Trapfinding. You get level 3 spells at Bard 7 (ECL 9) which means next level you can pick up a nice [Reserve] feat.

Dragonfire Inspiration is probably no going to happen, but Words of Creation is vehemently in character, and you've got all Martial weapons at your disposal (Tiny Composite Longbow, Tiny Ranseur for reach 5 ft. total) -- or you could use your level 3 feat for Exotic Weapon: Spiked Chain (also 5 ft. reach but compatible with Finesse) -- or forget about Weapon Finesse, and just be a support-caster + archer.

The Comedy Option: Mustavel 2 / Spirit Lion Barbarian 2 / Fist of the Forest 3 / Bear Warrior 1

You'll need to buy up Strength to 13 so you can get Power Attack before FotF 1 (and before Bear Warrior but that's easy). You'll need a Flaw to also pick up both Improved Unarmed Strike and Great Fortitude before FotF 1. With 2 flaws, you can take all 3 prerequisites at level 1, and use your level 3 feat slot for Extra Rage.

The Ninja Option: Mustavel 2 / Swordsage 6

L1: Weapon Finesse
L3: Shadow Blade
L6: Adaptive Style

You've got very decent skills and also a bunch of utility blade-magic, including tactical teleportation, but that's not going to buff your friends much.

daremetoidareyo
2017-11-07, 11:35 PM
Urban Druid? Wait a second...can an animated object channel a celestial?

Nifft
2017-11-08, 02:27 AM
The Comedy Option: Mustavel 2 / Spirit Lion Barbarian 2 / Fist of the Forest 3 / Bear Warrior 1

You'll need to buy up Strength to 13 so you can get Power Attack before FotF 1 (and before Bear Warrior but that's easy). You'll need a Flaw to also pick up both Improved Unarmed Strike and Great Fortitude before FotF 1. With 2 flaws, you can take all 3 prerequisites at level 1, and use your level 3 feat slot for Extra Rage.

Thinking about this a bit more... is the reason you want a "skill monkey" purely for trap-finding?

If so, give this build a look:

Mustavel 2 / Barbarian 3 (spirit lion, whirling frenzy, trapkiller) / Fighter 2 / Bear Warrior 1

This is a tiny bit less fun, because no Fist of the Forest, but in trade you get 2 Fighter levels right at BAB +6 and +7.

That means you can assuredly pick up Leap Attack and Shock Trooper.

L1: Power Atack
L3: Improved Bullrush
L6: Extra Rage, (b) Shock Trooper
L7: (b) Leap Attack

This ought to be pretty solid in terms of (a) finding traps, and (b) turning into a bear and murdering everything.

Darrin
2017-11-08, 08:24 AM
Assuming I succeeded on my Will save to resist playing "Geronimo Stilton", a Musteval 2/Factotum 3/Thunder Guide 3...

Musteval 2/Bard 4/Force Missile Mage 2. "Tag Wensleydale", take Mortalbane once or twice, maybe replace one of those Bard levels with Scout.

Psyren
2017-11-08, 01:29 PM
With those stat boosts, I'd go Bard or Spellthief.

Palanan
2017-11-08, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo
Urban Druid?

OP specified no druids. Presumably this includes variants.