PDA

View Full Version : Proofread my Giant Death Bot please

magicalmagicman
2017-11-07, 08:38 PM
Get a Scroll of Permanency with 3,000xp. 16,125gp
Get a Scroll of Animate Object at CL 16. 2400gp
Get a Gargantuan Iron Humanoid Statue. Cost Unknown, probably will involve Fabricate and Wall of Iron.

Equip it with two Rings of Counterspells 4,000gp each. One ring holds Dispel Magic, the other ring holds Greater Dispel Magic.

According to the d20srd you can fit 25 diminutive creatures in a 5ft square, so if we assume the Giant Humanoid Statue has a 5ft square palm, I can fit 25 spell turrets on there.

Spell Turrets with level 1 spells costs 1000gp. 50 turrets at attack bonus +10 (25 on each hand) is 100,000gp, so obviously I'm going to have to add more turrets as I gain more wealth.

Spell Turrets spells are as follows:
1st round: Lesser Orb of X, all the elements, equal numbers
2nd round: Magic Missile
3rd round: Color Spray
4th round: Repair Light Damage
5th round: Spell Turret repairs itself.

End result, i have a very tanky permanent Animated Object that is impossible to kill with damage, does 50d6 or 50d4+50 damage in its first two rounds, and is protected from Dispel Magic at least once.

I was thinking about mixing the spell order up. One hand blasts the other stuns/heals so it's 4 rounds of blasts and stun/heals instead of 2 rounds of blast and 3 rounds of nothing.

What am I missing other than DISINTEGRATE spell annihilating my construct? Is there something I'm missing that's gonna annihilate the wealth I put into this robot?

Why animated Object instead of a construct? Because it's cheaper, takes way less down time to create, and is gargantuan. Other constructs are huge at best, and expensive. There are some gargantuan ones out there but they are way too expensive.

jdizzlean
2017-11-07, 08:44 PM
stoneshape, earthquake, wall of force.

all they have to do is contain you or have you fall into a hole and you're done. add flight somehow, and you'll be better off, that's my first thought.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-07, 10:43 PM
stoneshape, earthquake, wall of force.

all they have to do is contain you or have you fall into a hole and you're done. add flight somehow, and you'll be better off, that's my first thought.

Alright, that's adding another magic item or casting fly on it.

unseenmage
2017-11-08, 05:17 AM
Dies to Rust Monster and Antimagic Field are my first thoughts.

noob
2017-11-08, 05:20 AM
Also dies to any dispelling spell that is not one of the two dispelling for which it have a ring or to enough castings in a row of dispel magic or greater dispel magic.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-08, 06:49 AM
Dies to Rust Monster and Antimagic Field are my first thoughts.

Any counters to those?

noob
2017-11-08, 07:28 AM
Any counters to those?

Have the animate object and permanency spell cast by an initiate of mystra(but then you need to avoid the books thrown at you) then make your animated object in something that is not a metal.(for example some special wood which can not burn on which was cast a reinforcing spell)
But the spell turrets will still be unable to cast in an antimagic zone.

BananaNomNom
2017-11-08, 07:28 AM
Any counters to those?

There is a armor enchant called blueshine costs +2000 gp and makes it immune to rust attacks and gives a plus 4 to hide.

noob
2017-11-08, 07:30 AM
There is a armor enchant called blueshine costs +2000 gp and makes it immune to rust attacks and gives a plus 4 to hide.

Sadly it stops working in an anti-magic zone.(and the rust monster power is ext which is why it was mentioned; it is the only rust attack that is ext)

unseenmage
2017-11-08, 08:25 AM
Spell Turrets created as Devices (Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood) would still function in antimagic but that's 3rd party material.

Lazymancer
2017-11-08, 09:50 AM
Equip it with two Rings of Counterspells 4,000gp each. One ring holds Dispel Magic, the other ring holds Greater Dispel Magic.
Break Enchantment should work, since Animate Objects is Transmutation.

Arcane Turmoil.
Dispelling Breath.
Dispelling Screen.
Dispelling Touch
Dweomer Vortex.
Slashing Dispel.
Tenacious Dispelling.
Wall of Dispel Magic.

That's up to 5th spell level. Higher level (8+) spells: Chain Dispel, Disjunction, Reaving Dispel, and Wall of Greater Dispel Magic.

Solution: rules for combining magic items.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-08, 03:31 PM
So I guess I absolutely have to use a construct instead of an animated object...

But the rest of the plan is solid right? Spell choices I mean

nintendoh
2017-11-08, 05:34 PM
It makes more sense to have some crowd control and area of effect put in with the damage spells. What we are looking at right now is a wall of PEW! What if the targets run away. That is a popular choice in dnd afterall. Soooo a couple way to make the target sit before they play dead may be in order.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-08, 06:51 PM
It makes more sense to have some crowd control and area of effect put in with the damage spells. What we are looking at right now is a wall of PEW! What if the targets run away. That is a popular choice in dnd afterall. Soooo a couple way to make the target sit before they play dead may be in order.

Which spells would you recommend? Because Spell Turrets have strict restrictions. All same level, all different schools, all on the same list. Level 2 doesn't have orbs, level 4 is way too expensive to mass.

BananaNomNom
2017-11-08, 08:42 PM
Which spells would you recommend? Because Spell Turrets have strict restrictions. All same level, all different schools, all on the same list. Level 2 doesn't have orbs, level 4 is way too expensive to mass.

Kelgors Grave mist 1d6 cold and fatigues anyone inside it no save(spell resist stops the fatigue but not the cold)

nintendoh
2017-11-08, 10:19 PM
Web plus fireball.

unseenmage
2017-11-08, 10:40 PM
The issue with using a non-Animated-Object-Construct is that there's no way to affix the Spell Turrets to my knowledge.

Even if one were to affix them to the unanimated Construct body by RAW either the Spell Turrets would cease functioning because they, like the body they're affixed to, is transformed into the Construct at the end of the animation ritual
OR
The ritual would fail because you are attempting to animate an invalid body for that particular Construct.

Heck, even an Animated Object might not animate with the Spell Turrets affixed in advance because having Spell Turrets attached probably causes the entire object to qualify as magical, and the Animate Objects spell is used on mundane materials.

Sovereign Glue could be a workaround but who's to say the Spell Turrets don't fail anyway because their magics are intended to be stationary.

What you're attempting is kinda like Staff Chucks (http://8bittheater.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_Chucks). Potentially very powerful but also potentially in no way rules legal.

It is certainly a cool enough idea, just not one necessarilly supported by the rules. GM permission would seem to be a must.

Edit Hmmm, Intelligent Magic Item Spell Turrets could work depending on their loadout.
See, Int Magic Items can activate any of their special abilities of their own accord.
IF an Int Magic Item Spell Turret can target itself, and IF the spells it's firing can affect it then MAYBE it can give itself Fly, or Polymorph, or any such thing.
Admiteddly, Int Magic Items are expensive, and that is a lot of 'ifs'.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-09, 04:56 AM
Spell Turrets are diminutive traps, so no reason you can't carve out sockets on a construct's body and affix it there.

The trap and construct are two separate entities. The construct merely points and the trap still chooses its own targets with its 360 degree firing arc. The construct has virtually no control over the spell turrets because even if it points towards a target the spell turret might choose a different target.

So basically there's no difference between this and a PC holding a Spell Turret affixed to a small object up at the intended target.

unseenmage
2017-11-09, 08:16 AM
I don't remember Spell Turrets being so small, could you please provide the source for that assertion?

As to carving out spaces, Constructs, like any creature, should/would take damage from such an action because they are creatures, not objects.

Rule-of-Cool may say that Constructs and Undead 'can be' carved up and/or hollowed out for whatever reason, but this is something else not supported by the rules.
GM permission would, again, be required.

Besides, after two things are permanently affixed they are one thing, insofar as magic is concerned.

If I glue my magic sword to my wagon my GM is perfectly within their rights to tell me that my Animate Objects spell fails because I'm targetting a single object that is also, at least in part, a Magic Item.

Or if I glue my magic sword to my scabbard the same could occur.
The size of the affixed objects doesn't matter. The point is that they are affixed.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-09, 04:09 PM
I don't remember Spell Turrets being so small, could you please provide the source for that assertion?

DMGII where the spell turret is first introduced.

Menzath
2017-11-09, 06:51 PM
So, what's to stop anyone from loading out a tinfoil hat with spell turrets? They should all still function regardless of size.

unseenmage
2017-11-09, 07:24 PM
DMGII where the spell turret is first introduced.

Am AFBs at the moment so will have to take your word for it.

By the way, how are you preventing the Spell Turrets from targetting their construct mount?
Nevermind I see it now.

EDIT
Just a heads up, there are also Psionic Spell Turrets in Dragon 360 on page 31. Not surprisingly they work just like Spell Turrets just psionic.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-10, 12:23 AM
So, what's to stop anyone from loading out a tinfoil hat with spell turrets? They should all still function regardless of size.

The fact that tinfoil hat probably can't support the weight of all the spell turrets glued on there. A tower shield on the other hand....

Also for the unseenmage

Spell Turret: CR 1 + spell level; Diminutive magic device;
visual trigger (true seeing); automatic reset; four different
spell effects cast once per round in set order, no spells cast
every fi fth round but spell turret self-repairs 4d8+20 hp;
Search DC 25 + spell level; Disable Device DC 25 + spell
level; AC 7; hardness equal to material turret is mounted
on (minimum 5); hp 200.
Common spell turret spell

unseenmage
2017-11-10, 12:28 AM
The fact that tinfoil hat probably can't support the weight of all the spell turrets glued on there. A tower shield on the other hand....

Also for the unseenmage
By 'tinfoil hat' they meant a mundane object affected by Shrink Item which, either when Dispelled or via command word, returns to original size and falls covering its wearer and preventing line of effect.

Also, you'll want to spoiler that Spell Turret info at the very least.

Also also, whose bright idea was it to give a mouse sized magic trap 200 regenerating hp !?

John Longarrow
2017-11-10, 12:41 AM
Animated covered wagon where you can pull back the cover would be a LOT cheaper for similar effect.

Roll up, pull back cover, let traps open up.

magicalmagicman
2017-11-10, 02:03 AM
By 'tinfoil hat' they meant a mundane object affected by Shrink Item which, either when Dispelled or via command word, returns to original size and falls covering its wearer and preventing line of effect.

Also, you'll want to spoiler that Spell Turret info at the very least.

Also also, whose bright idea was it to give a mouse sized magic trap 200 regenerating hp !?

Shrink Item can't affect magical items, which includes spell turrets.

And it was probably the bright idea of a guy who thought people won't stick 100 turrets on the side of a tower shield and instead put it as like an eye of a gargoyle statue or something so it has to be small.

unseenmage
2017-11-10, 07:27 AM
Shrink Item can't affect magical items, which includes spell turrets.

And it was probably the bright idea of a guy who thought people won't stick 100 turrets on the side of a tower shield and instead put it as like an eye of a gargoyle statue or something so it has to be small.
As discussed earlier Sovereign Glue solves the affixation issue so long as it's utilized AFTER Shrink Item, or Animate Objects, is cast.

Calthropstu
2017-11-10, 08:23 AM
You're missing a key issue: range. A single 10th lvl archer can bring it down. Your best range is maybe 150 feet. An archer with a long bow can outmatch that by about 5 times. Given the speed of the construct, it's pretty much announcing "shoot me please."

Not to mention long range spells. This thing totally loses to fireball and any other long range spell.

unseenmage
2017-11-10, 11:19 AM
You're missing a key issue: range. A single 10th lvl archer can bring it down. Your best range is maybe 150 feet. An archer with a long bow can outmatch that by about 5 times. Given the speed of the construct, it's pretty much announcing "shoot me please."

Not to mention long range spells. This thing totally loses to fireball and any other long range spell.
For the Animated Object Hardness can give it more staying power which coukd let it get into range.

For the Spell Turrets themselves, what's their AC being do small? Is it improved at all by being affixed to a mobile base?