PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mastery of Sand- Mystic Discipline

In4Dimensions
2017-11-07, 10:58 PM
Psychic Focus: While focused on this discipline, you gain advantage on Survival checks, you do not suffer the effects of extreme heat, and you don’t need to drink.

Sand Blast (1-7 psi): As an action, you create a 20-foot cone of stinging sand. Each creature in that area must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 1d4 piercing damage per psi point spent and suffering disadvantage on their next attack roll on a failed save, or half damage and no disadvantage on a successful save.

Sand Cloud (3 psi; conc., 10 min.): As an action, you create a cloud of protecting sand. Until your concentration ends, you are lightly obscured*, and attack rolls against you have disadvantage.

Sand Form (5 psi; conc., 2 hours): As a bonus action, you and any equipment you’re carrying become a billowing mass of sand. In this form, you gain resistance to all damage except for thunder and psychic damage, whenever you take thunder damage, you automatically fail your Concentration check, and you can’t take actions, except to Dash or Hide. You can pass through openings as small as 1 inch without squeezing.

Sand Grasp (6 psi; conc., 1 minute): As an action, you create arms of sand to punch or grap your enemies. Choose one:
All creatures in a 30-foot radius must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 6d6 bludgeoning damage. Creatures that succeed on the save take half damage. Until your concentration ends, you can repeat this effect as an action.

All creatures in a 20-foot radius must make a Strength saving throw, taking 5d6 bludgeoning damage and becoming restrained on a failed save, and half damage and no restrained on a successful save. Creatures restrained by this effect can repeat the saving throw at the end of their turns, ending the effect on a success. If you lose concentration, the creature is no longer restrained.

Desert Twister (7 psi; conc., 10 min.): As an action, you create a sandstorm with a center within 100 feet. Only one sandstorm can exist at a time. The sandstorm is a cylinder with a height of 200 feet and a radius of 20 feet. Creatures that start their turn in the sandstorm must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 3d6 bludgeoning damage and 3d6 piercing damage on a failed save, or half damage on a successful save. On a failed save, you can also move the creature 50 feet horizontally. If something stops the creature from moving the full distance (like a wall), the creature and the object that it hit both take 1d8 damage per 10 feet that the creature was stopped from moving. As an action, you can move the center of the sandstorm up to 30 feet.

*: This isn’t a natural effect, so wood elves cannot attempt to hide while using this.

I made this for a friend’s desert-themed Nomad Mystic. Wildly unbalanced? Perfect power level? Completely broken? I’d love some feedback!

In4Dimensions
2017-11-09, 02:32 PM
Reserved for future use.

JBPuffin
2017-11-10, 12:08 PM
Does Sand Blast do additional damage if you spend more PP? Need to note that in the description.

Overall this is...I dunno. It feels like a lot of damage and battlefield control for one discipline, although that is what I imagine a Sand Discipline would provide. I guess playtesting will tell you one way or the other?

Arte
2017-11-10, 01:53 PM
I'm largely unfamiliar with mystics in 5e. I tried to read that pdf and got distracted.

Based on what I'm seeing though and comparing the SLAs with spells that do similar things as well as my memory on the PSI points which if I recalled were locked at 7 for a while and then after 10th level sky rocket.

Psychic Focus - Seems familiar to what the other main mystic stuff did.

Sand Blast - I think you forgot to put if the damage scales, assuming it does then this seems fine? I mean its a save that scales and assures some level of damage... maybe roll the damage dice back to a 1d4 like vicious mockery? Since this isn't a suck or save ability?

Sand Form - Is there no longer a mind behind the sand? Why is there resistance to psychic? Seems nice otherwise, does movement increase?

Sand Grasp - So basically this is a very powerful version of Bigby's Hand, the catch is obviously against anyone with a ranged option this is going to get beaten.

Desert Twister - This is where my lack of knowledge on this class shows the most. I'm not sure if that is usual for this class. It seems very powered though. I mean it feels like an 8th or 9th level spell. If you can throw this out more than twice in a day then it may be too good.

Otherwise this looks solid.

In4Dimensions
2017-11-10, 02:05 PM
Does Sand Blast do additional damage if you spend more PP? Need to note that in the description.

Overall this is...I dunno. It feels like a lot of damage and battlefield control for one discipline, although that is what I imagine a Sand Discipline would provide. I guess playtesting will tell you one way or the other?
Yup, Sand Blast is supposed to scale. I’ll change it.

Text
Thanks for the feedback!
Sandblast is now 1d4 damage
Removing psychic damage resistance from Sand Form
Nerfing Desert Twister