PDA

View Full Version : New game?

Icewalker
2007-08-17, 08:30 PM
I'm looking to buy a new game, as I have some money to spare and appear to have run out. I have no idea what I should get, so I am looking for a suggestion.

I have a pretty good but not excellent computer, a PS2, a gamecube, and a Wii, and my parents don't allow FPSs.

I played and loved the Ratchet and Clank games, as well as the Jak games, although slightly less so. Also Prince of Persia and God of War. Anything along those lines is excellent.

So, any ideas?

Crispy Dave
2007-08-17, 10:33 PM
so your saying you can play god of war but not a fps?

well i can recomend a couple games mostly pc

Lord or the rings Battle for middle earth 2

Dawn of war

oblivion(not sure if allowed)

rayman for wii

world of warcraft

guild wars(no monthly fee)

maplestory(go to nexon.com and free download and no mounthly fee)

supream comander

and ill post more if I think of any

ps.message me if you start playing maplestory or any mmo on the list

Icewalker
2007-08-18, 05:02 AM
Got one of the Lord of the rings games, already addicted to WoW, have played GW and Maple Story and didn't like them as much as WoW.

My computer isn't good enough to run Supreme Commander, although my brother has it, and it looks awesome.

Hermit
2007-08-18, 08:32 AM
This Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50005) from a while back has a load of good suggestions for PC games. To pull out a couple of suggestions I made there:

Arx Fatalis is a great game in the vein of Ultima Underworld. Available on Steam for pittence if you like dungeon delving.
Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-sTHtNah80)

Anachronox is another title worth tracking down. A Sci-fi RPG with a brilliant storyline.
Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK73K5Bgo1o)

Psychonauts is the best platform game in recent years, bar none. You'll want a gamepad, as the keyboard and mouse combo doesn't really suit it, but it's worth it for another brilliant game from the madman that is Tim Schafer. Again, cheap on Steam. Go nuts.
Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xciQs55AlnQ)

There's plenty of good, cheap Cube games around too. And the Virtual Console on the Wii is the source of many good games. I'd highly recommend Paper Mario if you've never played it.

Triaxx
2007-08-18, 06:16 PM
Since no FPS's rules out a lot of games, try Dungeon Siege 1&2. Perhaps Sacred as well if you like Diablo style games.

Icewalker
2007-08-18, 06:47 PM
Played a little dungeon seige, it's alright, I may get that.

I do like diablo style games, played DII for a long time.

Solo
2007-08-18, 09:28 PM
so your saying you can play god of war but not a fps?

'Cause virtual guns are BAAAAAAAAD, don'tcha know?

Say, does that mean you can play Tomb Raider? Cause that's not a First person shooter, more of a third person..... *ducks*

Anyways, hmm... don't that have Super Smash Brothers for the Wii? I've only heard good things about SSB

Elliot Kane
2007-08-18, 10:43 PM
Dawn Of War: Dark Crusade is great for PC.

Final Fantasy 12 is probably my favourite game for PS2 (Though granted I don't play that many PS2 games :))

Icewalker
2007-08-18, 11:56 PM
The SSB for the Wii isn't out yet. SSBM is still awesome though.

Triaxx
2007-08-19, 07:40 AM
Yeah Sacred is very much like Diablo, with a little more world map, and less dungeon crawl. Be sure to buy Sacred Gold though, since the Underworld expansion is worth it.

tape_measure
2007-08-19, 07:57 AM
No One's plugged Neverwinter Nights 2, yet?

*pops knuckles*

There are lots of great things to say about it now (looks, gameplay, etc), but the bext thing to go into is what's coming. The Obsidian teams are constantly upgrading the game to improve even the smallest of bugs out. Plus, the first expansion is due out in early October. That should give you enough time to run through the original campaign.

And once you've finsihed ever possible way of beating it, there's the free online part. You can join a guild, or just simply find a game/persistent world that interests you and play to your heart's content.

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-19, 08:13 AM
Damn. Is it 'no violent games' or 'no first person shooters', because the former rules out every single game I own.

Icewalker
2007-08-19, 06:37 PM
Nope, violence is fine, they just don't like FPS or anything socially bad to the point of GTA.

Looked into NWN2 a little bit. Looks pretty good. I like the 'make your own campaign' aspect. That's always good.

Triaxx
2007-08-19, 07:27 PM
That's a silly reason, but I'm not going to get into that debate. You might Look up Fallout if you don't already have it.

Icewalker
2007-08-19, 08:15 PM
I've just always liked deciding to make my own campaign world or whatever then stopping 10% into it. I dunno.

I've heard a lot about Fallout. I'll look at it.

Ranis
2007-08-19, 11:40 PM
Dungeon Runners is awesome.

tannish2
2007-08-20, 03:58 AM
metroid prime 3 is coming out in 8 days, that should be fairly good, and if they say no FPS then point out that its just as much 3D mario style of game (and that its terribly unrealistic, and, of course, you play the protagonist) OR you could get metroid(NES virtual console on the wii) which is not at all FPS, because i dont think first person view was possible, same with super metroid, which(i think) should be available on virtual console by the time you read this

theres the wii zelda if you dont already have it

theres any of the elder scrolls games (arena, free on their website but you need a DOS emulator to play) daggerfall (not worth mentioning because its unfindable) morrowind (awesome game, ****ty combat) and oblivion (mediocre game, good combat, great graphics, terrible story, the expansion is good though) if you want to get into the series i suggest playing oblivion first because its simpler and if you play morrowind first oblivion will be a major dissapointment

theres armored core, start with either 2 (PS2) or 3 (PS2) unless you have an xbox 360

theres the ace combat games, they're always fun(PS2)

anyway, shouldnt they be more worried about cereal commercials? grand theft auto you steal a car and get chased by the cops... lucky charms commercials they stalk someone, break into their house and then hunt them down to get their stuff...

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-20, 09:44 AM
Played a little dungeon seige, it's alright, I may get that.

I do like diablo style games, played DII for a long time.

There's always Sacred and Titan Quest along those lines... I've never tried Sacred, but it looks like a decent clone. Titan Quest needs a decent computer, however.

Jothki
2007-08-20, 09:55 AM
Shadow of the Colossus is good, you roam around tracking down and slaying massive creatures. Don't expect any kind of dungeons or random combat, though, it's just you, a really excellently designed horse, and the Colossi.

Edit: Also, Planescape: Torment. Best writing of any game ever.

Qooroo
2007-08-20, 11:44 AM
Based on the games mentioned in the OP, I recommend Okami. It's like Zelda on crack. And it's pretty to no end.

As far as 'random suggestion out of left field' goes, snag We <3 Katamari. It's hopelessly addictive.

Icewalker
2007-08-20, 10:25 PM
Heard Shadow of the Colossus is good, I may look into that.

They said no FPS in general, but I am going to get Metroid Prime 3 on the grounds that I have one and two, which my parents knew were FPS, on the argument that I was vague, you use nothing similar to real guns, and the closest thing you get to shooting at people are the space pirates. So that game is on my list to get.

Crilley
2007-08-21, 11:16 PM
I have two words and a symbol for you.

WE
<3
KATAMARI!!!

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-22, 08:41 AM
Heard Shadow of the Colossus is good, I may look into that.

It is quite good, but don't fool yourself for a moment into thinking you're picking up an easy game if you get that one. There are only a few Colossi for a reason, and it's not because they're inherently easy to kill.

Timberwolf
2007-08-22, 10:30 AM
Just out of curiosity and I don't suggest this for a moment because it's ancient and I'm one of the few around here who really, really like it, but what would your parents make of the Mechwarrior series ?

Anyway, my suggestion is ....

Fable is quite good. Also the original NwN (not played NwN 2, 'puter won't hack it)

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-22, 10:57 AM
NWN2 was better for single player than NWN, but at the moment it's worse for single player due to a lack of good player mods out there. That'll change with time though, and I quite enjoy NWN2.

Icewalker
2007-08-22, 07:26 PM
I may get something from here, now that I've looked around there are a few games coming out which I want, although each may not last until the next. Metroid Prime 3, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect. Of course, my computer probably can't run Creed or Mass Effect... :smallannoyed:

Snipers_Promise
2007-08-23, 01:48 AM
BIOSHOCK
World of Warcraft

Ill list more latter.

tannish2
2007-08-23, 02:23 AM
well, if you liked diablo WC3... has a lot of customs that play similarly

anything with gaint fighting robots is good. no known exceptions here.

Triaxx
2007-08-23, 05:38 AM
No known exceptions? They're called Gundam's. The games all suck. Hard.

Early Armored Core games are great, but after AC2, they got pretty silly.

Icewalker
2007-08-23, 09:40 PM
BIOSHOCK
World of Warcraft

zero for two.

No first person games, as I said in the first post, and I think my comp isn't good enough to run Bioshock anyways.

I already play WoW, as said in the third post...

Triaxx
2007-08-27, 02:34 PM
From what I'm hearing, the only way to play Bioshock is on the 360. Even if it is a moot point.

You might want to look up the fire emblem series.