PDA

View Full Version : Dead Eye + Targetteer Fighter Variant vs Crit Immune Creatures

Yogibear41
2017-11-08, 12:44 AM
The Dead eye feat, and the Targetteer Fighter variant from dragon magazine both let you add your dex to damage with ranged weapons, but neither lets you add dex to damage when fighting creatures that are immune to critical hits.

Is there anyway to get around this limitation and allow these abilities to hit creatures that are crit immune.

If there is not a general way around this, is there a way to make it work vs only one creature type, Specifically: undead.

As a bonus, is there anyway to increase the range that the dead eye feat will function at?

Inevitability
2017-11-08, 01:32 AM
Ask your DM to remove it from the game because being able to critically hit a mimic but not a zombie is weird and the rule is just another thing that only weakens martials?

Boggartbae
2017-11-08, 02:28 AM
There’s a special ability called ghost strike that’s in the magic item compendium, and also Libris Mortis, that lets you sneak attack undead. If I were your GM I would rule that it lets you use all precision damage against them.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-11-08, 02:48 AM
There's a 3.0 feat in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide (which has the D&D logo on the cover, it's from third party but it's more valid for general D&D play than any official published setting that just has the d20 logo) called Finding the Secrets which allows you to select one creature type that's normally immune to critical hits and automatically bypass that immunity when attacking creatures of that type. It has some steep prerequisites (6 ranks in the relevant Knowledge skill for that creature type, Improved Critical, BAB +9), but it's probably the most guaranteed way of bypassing critical hit immunity in a given creature type. Sadly there are Undead, Constructs, Plants, Oozes, and Elementals that are all crit-immune, and you can only pick one with this.

If you can make a custom magic item, base it on the spells Grave Strike (Cleric 1), Vine Strike (Druid 1), and Golem Strike (Sorcerer/Wizard 1) which each last only 1 round but allow you to critically hit undead, plants, and constructs respectively. A 1st level spell has a minimum caster level of 1st, but a wondrous item has a minimum caster level of 3rd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel) ("The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.") due to the prerequisites of Craft Wondrous Item. Estimating the value of a continuous item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) you get spell level 1 x caster level 3 x 2,000 gp x 4 for a spell whose duration is measured in rounds, for a total of 24,000 gp per creature type you can critically hit. You can assume this effect costs the same for oozes and elementals, so for 120,000 gp, you can overcome any creature's immunity to critical hits. As a DM I'd just make it a flat 100,000 gp since there aren't nearly as many oozes or elementals as there are undead or constructs or even plants, and I'd also make that allow the wearer to overcome fortification effects such as the armor properties.

Yogibear41
2017-11-08, 03:48 AM
Ask your DM to remove it from the game because being able to critically hit a mimic but not a zombie is weird and the rule is just another thing that only weakens martials?

My Lich Paladin of Tyranny in another game enjoys his crit immunity way to much to do that! :smallsmile: