PDA

View Full Version : silverstar prc tweak

azoun
2007-08-17, 08:40 PM
i've always loved the Forgotten Realms (been playing it all my life), and especially Selūne and the whole Selūne-Shar conflict/concept.. when i saw Selūne had a prc (in Faiths&Pantheons) i was really excited, but was horrified to see it's one of the lousiest prc's i ever saw (f***ing dancing lights from the eyes?!), so i changed it quite a bit, mainly added the lycanthropy as a must (makes more sense with her portfolio)..
problem is, this is my first go at making/changing a prc, so i have no idea if it's over/underpowered...
any feedback would be great :smallbiggrin:

Hit Die: d8.
Requirements
To qualify to become a Silverstar (Str), a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Chaotic good.
Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Skills: Bluff 5 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks, Disguise 2 ranks, Intuit Direction 2 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Monsters/Lycanthropes) 3 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks.
Feats: Blindfight, Leadership, Extra Turning, Divine Vengeance.
Spells: Ability to cast 3rd level divine spells. Clerics who wish to become Silverstars must have access to the Moon domain.
Special: the character must have willfully contracted lycanthropy from another Silverstar, or, if infected against his will, must have sought out and found a Silverstar.
Patron: Selūne

Class Skills
The Silverstar's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Heal (Wis), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Scry (Int). See Chapter 4 of the Player's Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

SILVERSTAR
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day|

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Lycanthropy, Moon Magic, Moon's Wrath|+1|

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Moon's Hand (+2 shock, WF)|+1|

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Moonshield|/|

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Selūnite Lycanthrope|+1|

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Prophet's Sight 1/day|+1|

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Moon's Hand (+3 shock, WS)|/|

7th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Greater Moonshield|+1|

8th|
+5|
+6|
+2|
+6|Prophet's Sight 2/day|+1|

9th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Moon's Hand (+4 shock, SC)|/|

10th|
+7|
+6|
+3|
+6|Moonfire, Zealot|+1|[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Silverstars gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: at each level, except for the 3rd, the 6th and 9th levels, a Silverstar gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If the character had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming Silverstar, the player must decide to which class to add each Silverstar level for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Lycanthropy: Silverstars do not change alignment due to their contracting lycanthropy, and are aware of their actions while in animal or hybrid form.

Moon Magic: a Silverstar can prepare any Moon domain spell as if it were on her divine spell list. The spell uses a spell slot of a level equal to its level in the Moon domain list. For instance, a cleric/silverstar could prepare moonblade as a 3rd level cleric spell, and a ranger/silverstar could prepare moonbeam as a 2nd level ranger spell. However, the Silverstar may no longer prepare and cast any spells with the Evil/Shadow modifier. This reflects the Silverstars' deep hate for Shar and its magic. This does not apply to any inherent/special abilites the character has/will gain.

Moon's Wrath (Su): a Silverstar focuses his life on his goddess's ancient battle against the forces of darkness (specifically Sharites and their ilk). Upon becoming a Silverstar, the character receives "divine assistance" in his fight against these evils. When facing followers of Shar, Shades (and associated creatures), Shadow Weave wielders, evil Lycanthropes and undead with the Shadow descriptor, the Silverstar is under the effect of Protection from Evil, Bless and the weapon it wields (only when wielding either a heavy mace or the lycanthrope form's natural attack) is under the effect of the Faerie Fire spell.

Moon's Hand (Su): starting at 2nd level, any heavy mace wielded by the Silverstar is treated as if it were a +2 shock heavy mace. If the weapon leaves the Silverstar's hands, it reverts to its original abilities. If the weapon has additional benefits (such as frost), these abilities still apply, and if the weapon has an enhancement bonus better than that granted by this ability, the higher of the two bonuses is used. Moreover, the Silverstar gains the Weapon Focus (heavy mace) feat. At 6th level, the weapon is treated as a +3 shock heavy mace, and the Silverstar gains the Weapon Specialization (heavy mace) feat. At 9th level, the weapon is treated as a +4 shocking burst heavy mace, and the Silverstar's natural attacks as a Lycanthrope are now applied the same effect.

Moonshield (Su): at 3rd level, a Silverstar learns how to better resist the magic of the Shadow Weave. She gains a +2 bonus on saves against enchantment, illusion and necromancy spells and effects, and spells and effects with the darkness descriptor. This bonus applies whether or not the source is from the Weave or the Shadow Weave.

Selūnite Lycanthrope: upon reaching 4th level, Silverstars are treated as natural lycanthropes. Their type changes to shapechanger, and they may select the Improved Control Shape feat (see the Monster Manual) or the Scent ability as a feat at any point that they can select a new feat. Moreover, the Silverstar may now use his Divine Vengeance ability (and any other turning-related abilities he might have) on evil lycanthropes as well.

Prophet's Sight (Su): starting at 5th level, once per day a Silverstar is able to see as if under the effect of a true seeing spell cast by a cleric of his level. At 8th level, this ability can be used 2/day, and the Silverstar's Blindfight ability extends to 10 ft.

Greater Moonshield (Su): as the Moonshield ability, except the bonus grows to +4.

Moonfire: upon reaching 10th level, a Silverstar can cast moonfire 1/day as a spell-like ability.

Zealot: upon reaching 10th level, the Silverstar is by now widely considered one of the Moon Maiden's staunchest and most influential followers, and as such receives a +4 bonus on all charisma/wisdom-based checks related to the Selūnite church, on Knowledge (Religion) checks relating to the Selūnite church, and on all Leadership checks relating to church-related affairs.

azoun
2007-08-20, 10:15 AM
anyone...?? :smallfrown:

azoun
2007-08-26, 05:27 AM
gee, thanks for all the help. really learned a lot.

Matthew
2007-08-26, 06:33 AM
Hey, Azoun. Don't take it personally, there's a lot of stuff goes up on this Forum and not all of it receives a response; even stuff that gets posted by Forum Regulars like The_Vorpal_Tribble is not assured of a commentary.

One problem with this is that you need somebody familiar with the Forgotten Realms to comment on it and not everybody is. Which book was the original Prestige Class published in?

azoun
2007-08-26, 01:07 PM
sorry bout being rude.. just having a really bad day :smallfurious:

anyway, i think it's from faiths&pantheons (FR comprehensive deities and pantheons guide...)

i can post the original PrC if it'll make life easier for non-FR people :smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2007-08-26, 01:11 PM
No problem.

Do remember that there is a prohibition on posting non OGL material on this Forum, so large amounts of information directly copied out of Faiths and Pantheons ought not to appear in your Post. Anything modified from Faiths and Pantheons could probably be posted, but the precise degree is something of a grey area. Really, you would be safest to post only the modifications you have made.

azoun
2007-08-26, 01:13 PM
so i can't actually post the original one for comparison... oh well..

regardless, as a stand-alone PrC, does it look balanced to you?

Matthew
2007-08-26, 01:24 PM
Hard to say. When they acquire the Lycanthropy Template, do they still gain the corresponding Level Adjustment?

azoun
2007-08-26, 01:26 PM
yes.. is that a problem?

Matthew
2007-08-26, 01:29 PM
Nope, just wondering. If they didn't gain the corresponding Level Adjustement, it might be a problem. That said, I'm not sure how I would work that into a game. I guess, more importantly, are there no increases in Caster Levels?

azoun
2007-08-26, 01:31 PM
there are, i listed in the class abilities list (right under weapon proficiencies).. they gain effective caster levels except for every 3rd level of the PrC

Matthew
2007-08-26, 01:54 PM
Ah right, missed that. It's usually listed under Class Features, isn't it? In that case, I think this is likely too powerful, but I will have to check it against the Prestige Class it's based on when I have the time.

azoun
2007-08-26, 03:59 PM
great, i'd really appreciate it. maybe if it's too powerful then every 2nd level?

Matthew
2007-08-31, 07:10 AM
Okay, having taken a look at the Faiths and Pantheons version of the Silverstar, I do think that this is too powerful a revision. Not hugely better, but enough to give me that impression.

The Skill, Feat and Spell Casting Prerequisites make for some interesting changes, but my question now is what path do you expect a Character to take to qualify? I'm not sure you have made this very much harder to qualify for, just a bit more complicated. It seems to me that the Feats are of the sort that are useful to Clerics, which actually makes the Class easier to qualify for, rather than forcing them to take the useless Speing Attack Feat Chain. That, in itself, is a power up.

I would say that overall you have taken this Prestige Class, added some strong benefits and removed some of the weaker benefits. That suggests to me that it is a general power up. There's nothing inherently bad about that, because the Classes in D&D have variable degrees of power. I think you need to make it clear that this is the case, though.

azoun
2007-09-01, 03:33 PM
i've been thinking bout it too, and i've reached about the same conclusions..
regarding the reqs for the prc, i'm kinda at a loss here, cause i wanna give it some more reqs that reflect the uniqueness of the prc itself (good lycanthrope worshipping a moon goddess has to be pretty out there :smallwink: ), but i don't know what else to give it.. any suggestions?

and i don't want to give it any feats as a requirement that have nothing to do with the prc/playstyle just to make it harder.. it's part of the reason i took off the dodge/mobility/spring attack combo in the original..

if anything, i was thinking to maybe add some drawbacks/limitations during the development of the prc itself.. maybe a prohibition of casting any evil/darkness spells starting at 1st level? that's a pretty serious one, no? and it also keeps in line with the spirit of the character itself..

anyway, i guess i want to only add perks/drawbacks that are "showcasing" the style of the prc itself...

any thoughts?
oh, and thx for checking up, btw :smallbiggrin: