PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger Progression

Jexis
2017-11-08, 02:31 AM
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to to RPGS, having played a 1 shot at lvl 7, campaign lvl 4-5 in Pathfinder (ended b/c player conflict following in-game relationship and IRL breakup) and levels 1-6 in 5e (this game). So far, I'm playing Revised Ranger in a party with a fighter, sorcerer, and another sorcerer (who hasn't been around for about 4/5ths of the sessions so don't consider that). Here is my build so far.
STR: 12
DEX: 18
CON: 14
INT: 12
WIS: 18
CHA: 12
I have the Stealthy feat and chose Hunter's Conclave w/ Colossus Slayer. I primarily cast Cure Wounds, Hunter's Mark, and Pass Without Trace. I use the Archery fighting style w/ longbow but also dual-wield shortswords in close combat. I'm considering going Fighter, Rogue, or Cleric (in respective order of interest). I also don't know if the 7-8th lvl Ranger abilities are worth it (or anything afer 6). My favored enemies are Humanoid and Giant.
(RP Note: the fighter is a criminal and I've been his moral opposite for a decent amount of the campaign, drawing me away from rogue).
Also taking suggestions for if I should take ASI's or feats. Campaign expected to end around level 13.

DevilMcam
2017-11-08, 08:26 AM
Hi Jexis,
one of the important things when considering multiclassing, is asking yourself what you would like to gain through this.

Rogue would up your DPR with sneak attack, cunning action to enhance mobility and better skill coverage. Note that rogues aren't necessarily criminals, just highly skilled mundane characters.
Fighter would improve you combat efficiency in various ways (mostly dependant on your subclass, but Sharpshooter precision strike Battlemaster is probably the most efficient way to do so) but the Fighter 5 level would be a very uninteresting one.
Cleric would help you with utility and seconding your Sorcerer with spellcasting.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-11-08, 08:47 AM
Not that it matters much but what race are you ?

I would go rogue before fighter, gives you options that you can easily use more often than the fighters though they are both good.

Cleric monk and Druid all can be good depending on your play style. Monk will probably offer nothing you can use immediately, and Druid may change your play style or just add spellcasting options. Cleric is really dependent on the domain, do you have any ideas on a domain you want?

I personally would go with rogue, with the scout subclass.

Jexis
2017-11-08, 09:53 PM
Hey thanks to both you guys!

I'm VarHum with the Stealthy feat. I'm not particularly enthused with playing druid or monk.

I looked at scout and I'm pretty sold (even tho I already have proficiency with Survival skill). With Skirmisher I'd be able to constantly keep my range which I had struggled with previously. The hide as bonus action would also work well with my feat (and new boots of Elvenkind) to gain advantage on attacks from hidden cover.
I had been thinking of going slightly more melee, hence why I was thinking fighter was better, but scout synergizes much better.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should just go immediately to Rogue from Ranger 6 or if I should go to 7/8/9 as ranger before MC.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-11-08, 11:16 PM
Hey thanks to both you guys!

I'm VarHum with the Stealthy feat. I'm not particularly enthused with playing druid or monk.

I looked at scout and I'm pretty sold (even tho I already have proficiency with Survival skill). With Skirmisher I'd be able to constantly keep my range which I had struggled with previously. The hide as bonus action would also work well with my feat (and new boots of Elvenkind) to gain advantage on attacks from hidden cover.
I had been thinking of going slightly more melee, hence why I was thinking fighter was better, but scout synergizes much better.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should just go immediately to Rogue from Ranger 6 or if I should go to 7/8/9 as ranger before MC.

well spells would be something is suppose but lets look at what you gain.

at 7 you have another hunter conclave feature, these are all ok but you could just never provoke attack opportunities or be in range of an attack. the fear resist is nice but honestly...meh.

at 8. you get all the bonuses of 7 as well as fleet of foot. you could be 2nd level rogue right now and have more than that.

at 9. you get 3rd level spells. considering you use spells for utility/healing and very little for damage, the potential +2d6 on every attack and added other rogue features seems better.

Ranger usually just goes into rogue things at level 7+ and i would stop at 6 most of the time unless i didnt want rogue levels.

DistilledMagic
2017-11-09, 05:13 AM
Rogue is definitely better chosen before fighter, for a few levels at least.