PDA

View Full Version : (Semi-) New and (also) excited

IronMike
2017-11-08, 05:52 AM
(Props to Mister_E for the title of his post.)

I am semi-new to D&D. And only a few days from our first get-together. We are my in-house family (2 x daughters, wife, me...I say in-house b/c our two sons are all growed up) and my co-worker.

My co-worker has agreed to DM for us for this first meeting. We're going to go through a basic adventure, getting us all from level 1 to 2 or 3, depending upon how long we decide to play. So freaking excited.

I had to cajole the youngest (14 yrs) to play, her only requirement being that she get to play a fairy (pixie). I found somewhere a fairy race/class for 5e and with her help gen'd up a character for her. My wife and other daughter (18 yrs) were easy sells. My daughter ran through the intro to D&D 4 (red box that my co-worker let me borrow) and decided on a halfling rogue. My co-worker and I have been reading up on the latest version of D&D and have decided that's what we're gonna play. We bought the books, and I've adjusted my daughter's rogue for this version.

I gen'd up a human monk. I mostly played Rangers under AD&D, as far as I can recall. When the fam and I played v3.5 about 12 years ago I DM'd, so didn't get to play any characters, but really wanted to play a monk.

My wife was agnostic about what class to play, leaving it up to me for what we needed. So I rolled her a half-orc barbarian female named Penelope. Even found a picture of one online, all muscles and fangs, and my wife's only response was "She's beautiful." ;)

My co-worker's got his brother in town and has talked him into playing; they're gonna gen up whatever characters we need. As he's DM'ing, he'll play his as an NPC. We want to cycle the DM role around among the three adults.

I started reading one of Evan's books (Brimstone Angels) and of course, I then had to create a Tiefling Warlock. Now I'm not sure who to play!

Anyway, this is my long way of saying I'm also excited to start playing! Hopefully, this'll become a regular thing.

Emay Ecks
2017-11-08, 11:40 AM
Congrats on getting a group together to play!

It sounds like you have a really fun group, and I think cycling the dm role is a great way to add variety and prevent burnout.

Best of luck to you, have fun!