PDA

View Full Version : Spell casting restrictions including Reaction spell?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-08, 08:00 AM
Essentially can I cast a spell as an Action or Bonus Action then another as a Reaction. I understand I can not cast two different non Cantrio spells as a Bonjs Action and Action so....

Essentially can I cast:

Bonus Action: lvl 1 Healing Word
Action: Cantrip, Vucious Mockery

After getting hit on the bad guy's turn
Reaction: lvl 3 Hellish Rebuke

nickl_2000
2017-11-08, 08:03 AM
I believe that you can cast a reaction spell without a problem in this situation because the restriction is that you can only cast 1 non-cantrip spell on your turn.

Casting a spell as a reaction will never be on your turn, it will be on someone elses turn.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-11-08, 08:57 AM
Casting a spell as a reaction will never be on your turn, it will be on someone elses turn.

Not strictly true:

Move about -> opportunity attack -> Shield
Move about -> drop through trapdoor -> Feather Fall
Move about -> crazy guy with readied spell -> Counterspell

nickl_2000
2017-11-08, 08:59 AM
Not strictly true:

Move about -> opportunity attack -> Shield
Move about -> drop through trapdoor -> Feather Fall
Move about -> crazy guy with readied spell -> Counterspell

Okay, that is fair. So can you cast a full spell as a Bonus action, a cantrip as an action, and then another full spell as a reaction all on your turn?

JackPhoenix
2017-11-08, 09:55 AM
Okay, that is fair. So can you cast a full spell as a Bonus action, a cantrip as an action, and then another full spell as a reaction all on your turn?

Nope. If you cast any spell as bonus action, you can't cast anything as a reaction on your turn. Only cantrip cast as an action.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-08, 09:55 AM
Wonder if this is a situation where it is best to get a DM ruling. A bad guy has done it to us so I think its going to be allowed.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-11-08, 10:45 AM
I reckon a lot of people would think it's reasonable to relax the "action only" requirement for the full spell, since it seems pretty arbitrary and may have been an oversight. I also suspect many would allow a reaction on top of another spell, since that would be fairly uncommon and reactions usually go on top of what you can do normally anyway.

DivisibleByZero
2017-11-08, 03:20 PM
The Bonus Action spell allows no other spells except a cantrip as an Action rules does not apply if the reaction spell does not happen on your turn. If that's the case, and it is no longer your turn, then you can cast a spell as a reaction.
If it is still your turn, then the restriction still applies, and you can't cast a spell as a reaction.

SharkForce
2017-11-08, 04:57 PM
basically, you just need to wait until it is not your turn to be able to use a reaction spell after using a bonus action spell. so long as the reaction is taken on a different turn, it is totally legit.

so that initial example of casting healing word and vicious mockery on your turn, then later during an enemy's turn casting hellish rebuke, is absolutely allowed. it would not have been allowed if you cast healing word and vicious mockery, move, provoke an opportunity attack, get hit, and then want to use hellish rebuke, because that is still on your turn.