PDA

View Full Version : Spell Turret Calculations

BananaNomNom
2017-11-08, 10:22 AM
As recent posts have founded a new interest, spell turrets. Does anyone know the calculations for them first found in DMG2 pg. 45.

Boggartbae
2017-11-08, 12:10 PM
I found this on Reddit:
Spell Turret: CR 1 + spell level; Diminutive magic device; visual trigger (true seeing); automatic reset; four different spell effects cast once per round in set order, no spells cast every fifth round but spell turret self-repairs 4d8+20 hp; Search DC 25 + spell level; Disable Device DC 25 + spell level; AC 7; hardness equal to material turret is mounted on (minimum 5); hp 200.
I

Also:
1.) Assign the turret a caster level based on the CR of the encounter and the creator of the turret.

2.) Give it an attack bonus equal to that of a caster of that level.

This comes with a heap of salt, seeing as how it’s from some gal who got it from some guy, but I hope it helps.

Captain Kablam
2017-11-08, 12:17 PM
Huh, a little off topic but I once made a dwarf artificer who effectively made a proximity activated shoulder mounted Magic Missile turret by making a magic missile trap. I got it worked out with the dm that it's wouldn't fire upon allies because I carried and handed out cards with arcane mark marking them as "friendly". Of course it would also fire on civilians if they got too close which is why I made it with an off button.

Not sure if my story helps, but I felt it was relevant.

Rijan_Sai
2017-11-08, 04:01 PM
I found this on Reddit:
[REDACTED]

Also:
1.) Assign the turret a caster level based on the CR of the encounter and the creator of the turret.

2.) Give it an attack bonus equal to that of a caster of that level.

This comes with a heap of salt, seeing as how it’s from some gal who got it from some guy, but I hope it helps.

Well, the first part is word-for-word from DMG2;

For the 2 points, 1) All the spells have to be the same level and list, and the CL is equal to the (minimum) CL for those.
2) It doesn't give any details (that I saw) about attack bonus... so this is probably the best way if you do use attack roll spells rays (because really, are you going to use touch-range spells in one of these things?).