PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Wilder Fix/Rework?

Westhart
2017-11-08, 11:01 AM
Wasn't sure if this would go in homebrew design, and my google-fu has failed me so: Does anyone have (or played) a (homebrew) wilder fix? I was looking at the wilder as my first psionic (yeah, have had the book, for a while, haven't used the system yet though) character as it appeared to be interesting, but upon reading and thinking about it it seems rather... weak (lame?). Thanks!

noob
2017-11-08, 11:05 AM
If I remember it allows to go over the manifesting cap which allows to have nice astral constructs earlier.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-08, 11:05 AM
Give it powers known as the Ardent, and have Psychic Enervation leave you staggered for a round instead of dazed, and base the pp loss on the amount surged for instead of your Wilder level. Boom, playable.

Westhart
2017-11-08, 11:10 AM
If I remember it allows to go over the manifesting cap which allows to have nice astral constructs earlier.
At the possible cost of losing actions...

Give it powers known as the Ardent, and have Psychic Enervation leave you staggered for a round instead of dazed, and base the pp loss on the amount surged for instead of your Wilder level. Boom, playable.

You know, that would probably work, thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Rebel7284
2017-11-08, 03:46 PM
While I understand the desire to rescue the Wilder, have you considered just playing a Psion/Anarchic Initiate?

gkathellar
2017-11-08, 04:59 PM
While I understand the desire to rescue the Wilder, have you considered just playing a Psion/Anarchic Initiate?

This is worth considering. Wilder is a bit odd as a base class - it's the sort of thing that might be a PrC in 3.5 or an archetype in PF.

Not trying to discourage you, mind. Grod's solution will work fine.

Westhart
2017-11-08, 09:16 PM
Well, planning a gestalt with cha to pretty much everything due to paladin + other stuff, so wilder fits best and I like the falvor... although anarchic initiate looks nice...

This is worth considering. Wilder is a bit odd as a base class - it's the sort of thing that might be a PrC in 3.5 or an archetype in PF.

Not trying to discourage you, mind. Grod's solution will work fine.

Hmm, I'll keep it in mind...

Nifft
2017-11-08, 09:40 PM
Wild Surge gives you a bonus of 1d4-1 (no planning for you).

Wild Surge can't be used again until 1d4 rounds have passed.

Remove all negative consequences. Retain Euphoria, it's cool.

Give them more powers known, like perhaps write new Wilder-themed Mantles, and each Wilder gets to pick one Mantle. They get all the powers. So you have 11 of whatever you want, and 7-10 powers from a package.

Rebel7284
2017-11-09, 01:04 AM
Well, planning a gestalt with cha to pretty much everything due to paladin + other stuff, so wilder fits best and I like the falvor... although anarchic initiate looks nice...

Homebrew solution:
Feat:
Charismatic Psion
[Psionic]
Chose a manifesting class. You can use your charisma score to calculate the powers you can learn, bonus power points, your power's saves, etc. instead of the usual ability score(s) designated by the manifesting class.

Psyren
2017-11-09, 02:02 AM
Try the Pathfinder Wilder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/wilder/) - good surges to avoid losing your actions are Student, Artificer and Efficient.

Westhart
2017-11-09, 08:19 AM
Homebrew solution:
Feat:
Charismatic Psion
[Psionic]
Chose a manifesting class. You can use your charisma score to calculate the powers you can learn, bonus power points, your power's saves, etc. instead of the usual ability score(s) designated by the manifesting class.
That would probably work.

Try the Pathfinder Wilder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/wilder/) - good surges to avoid losing your actions are Student, Artificer and Efficient.
I'll give it a look, thanks!

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-09, 09:51 AM
That would probably work.
Or just allow any one of the three stats with no feat; they've all got great side-benefits and potential synergies.

Westhart
2017-11-09, 09:55 AM
Or just allow any one of the three stats with no feat; they've all got great side-benefits and potential synergies.

Not my game, otherwise I wouldn't mind :smallbiggrin:. My DM (IRL game) dais homebrew was fine, which is why I was looking for a better one, so it looks like I'll be stuck with either the feat or converting the PF one back to 3.5

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-09, 10:32 AM
Not my game, otherwise I wouldn't mind :smallbiggrin:. My DM (IRL game) dais homebrew was fine, which is why I was looking for a better one, so it looks like I'll be stuck with either the feat or converting the PF one back to 3.5
You want homebrew? I give you homebrew!

Psion Variant: Wilder
Not all Psions derive their powers from intense study and meditation. Some simply are, their surging emotions heavily laden with psionic energies. These natural manifesters are known as Wilders.

Class Skills: A Wilder loses all Knowledges other than Knowledge (Psionics) as class skills. They gain Bluff and Intimidate as class skills. Additionally, Seer Wilders gain all Knowledge skills.

Class Features: The Wilder has all the standard Psion class features, except as noted below.

Manifesting: A Wilder uses Charisma in place of Intelligence to determine the highest level power they can manifest, bonus power points per day, and save DCs.

Overchannel: At first level, a Wilder gains Overchannel as a bonus feat. This replaces the normal bonus feat Psions gain at first level.

Psyren
2017-11-09, 10:34 AM
Class Features: The Wilder has all the standard bard class features, except as noted below.

Manifesting: A Wilder uses Charisma in place of Intelligence to determine the highest level power they can manifest, bonus power points per day, and save DCs.

Since they're bards, wouldn't the highest power level be zero? :smallwink:

Westhart
2017-11-09, 10:37 AM
You want homebrew? I give you homebrew!

Psion Variant: Wilder
Not all Psions derive their powers from intense study and meditation. Some simply are, their surging emotions heavily laden with psionic energies. These natural manifesters are known as Wilders.

Class Skills: A Wilder loses all Knowledges other than Knowledge (Psionics) as class skills. They gain Bluff and Intimidate as class skills. Additionally, Seer Wilders gain all Knowledge skills.

Class Features: The Wilder has all the standard bard class features, except as noted below.

Overchannel: At first level, a Wilder gains Overchannel as a bonus feat. This replaces the normal bonus feat Psions gain at first level.

Thanks so much! <3
Going to use this for it, now, time to build a psion.
...oh, one thing. for class features did you mean all the standard psion class features?

EDIT: Swordage'd

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-09, 01:34 PM
Shh, is a secret!

But overall, glad you like it.