PDA

View Full Version : Play Report - First Game in Years

DGibb
2017-11-08, 11:48 AM
It has been years since our group has played. Life got in the way - marriages, kids, job transfers, illnesses, et cetera. I grew up playing AD&D 1e, 2e, occasionally playing 3e and Pathfinder, and quite a few campaigns in 4e up until the 5e playtest, among other RPGs.

My friend and I, who typically pass the DM torch back and forth, have thrown out campaign seeds for years. One was a campaign where magic has evaporated from the world, and it turns out it's due to the Tarrasque being bound on a floating earth mote, and it turns out the Tarrasque is the font of all magic. Another was an urban gangland setting which was about rival gangs and their power struggle. I've been pushing a return to Planescape; Sigil has always been my favorite since its debut in the 90s.

This past Saturday, we got to run a quick session for about 3-4 hours. My friend was the DM, and we were all level 4 characters. I made a dozen character sheets, and we all chose. We didn't know the setting or scenario at all. The characters chosen were as follows:

Galiath - V.Human Battlemaster w/ dueling FS
Hjalford - V. Human Tempest Cleric (complete with warhammer - Thor, anyone?)
Ferendhal - Firbolg Moon Druid

It turned out that we picked up in media res returning to town from trying to find some goblin encampment without much luck. We get back to town and determine that we're in the gangland setting.

Oh, okay. Let's be bad guys (with good hearts, maybe?)

After being told that we have a job in the morning, and that we need to pick up some protection monies, one of the members (the newest D&D player) suggests to split the party. Fine, we'll humor him; if we all die horribly, I have 9 more backup characters made.

I (the Firbold Druid) went to hit up a tavern who usually gives no troubles. On the way, I am jumped by an assassin, who in turn is killed by an assassin, who in turn is killed by an assassin, who in turn is killed by an assassin, and the final one I am about to take out (in bear form), but instead is killed by an assassin. It was a little ridiculous.

The other two went to hit up a cagey bard who was about a month behind on his payments. Our tempest cleric critted his intimidate roll using thaumaturgy to convince the bard to pay a partial amount as he was setting up for an impressive show, and then collect the balance after. Our battlemaster ended up rummaging through his cart while distracted, and came away with some hidden stash.

The battlemaster came to meet up with me and see if I needed help and we met halfway, just after a rival gang jumped him for stealing from the bard who was ostensibly under their protection instead of ours. We beat them up good, and my magic supercharged (plot hook?), and after we collected, our gang boss was happy to hear the info, which means that the gang war seems to be kicking in to high gear.

Just as we were heading out to drink the remainder of the night away, the three of us were pulled in to guard detail with the boss to see another gang leader who was looking to ally with us, and that's where we left it.

It was great to play again, and the 5e rules set made it a piece of cake to play theatre-of-the-mind style. We may have to tweak our characters or come up with a justification to play this urban setting (especially for my druid), but we think we will continue this campaign.

I am sorry to ramble, but it's good to be actually playing again.

EvilAnagram
2017-11-08, 11:53 AM
Welcome back to the table!

Kane0
2017-11-08, 04:10 PM
Good stuff, looking forward to hearing more!

Knaight
2017-11-08, 04:46 PM
I (the Firbold Druid) went to hit up a tavern who usually gives no troubles. On the way, I am jumped by an assassin, who in turn is killed by an assassin, who in turn is killed by an assassin, who in turn is killed by an assassin, and the final one I am about to take out (in bear form), but instead is killed by an assassin. It was a little ridiculous.

This brings back memories. I don't remember exactly what caused the game situation, but at one point the PCs and an enemy were both hiring mercenaries within hearing range of each other. It started with the PCs happening to overhear the enemy hiring people to ambush them, and deciding to respond by hiring people to ambush the ambushers. By the time it ended both factions were all but broke, and there was at least a six level deep nested ambush that the PCs deliberately walked into the middle of.