PDA

View Full Version : Practiced Spellcaster feat

leegi0n
2017-11-08, 11:57 AM
Playgrounders,

If I'm a 3rd level bard and I take the Practiced Spellcaster feat, does that mean I now treat all of my casting (per day & spells known) as if I was level 7?

* I would get 3-zero lvl, 3-first lvl, & 2-second lvl spells per day?

* I would know 6-zero lvl, 4-first lvl, & 3-second lvl spells?

* Would it affect the spell(s) DC to save as well?

Thank you -

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-08, 12:00 PM
Playgrounders,

If I'm a 3rd level bard and I take the Practiced Spellcaster feat, does that mean I now treat all of my casting (per day & spells known) as if I was level 7?

So, I would get 3-zero lvl, 3-first lvl, & 2-second lvl spells per day?

I would know 6-zero lvl, 4-first lvl, & 3-second lvl spells?

Thank you -The benefit of Practiced Spellcaster is capped by your Hit Dice. If you were a level 7 character with three levels of bard, you would count as having a caster level of 7 for level-dependent effects such as duration and damage, as well as caster level checks (for dispelling, spell resistance checks, and so on), but not anything else.

torrasque666
2017-11-08, 12:02 PM
No. It increases you caster level only, and cannot increase it above your hitdie.

Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefit can’t increase your caster level to higher than your Hit Dice.

This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.

leegi0n
2017-11-08, 12:46 PM
The benefit of Practiced Spellcaster is capped by your Hit Dice. If you were a level 7 character with three levels of bard, you would count as having a caster level of 7 for level-dependent effects such as duration and damage, as well as caster level checks (for dispelling, spell resistance checks, and so on), but not anything else.

Sorry, I'm not understanding. What if I'm a 3rd level bard and I take the feat?

Bebbit
2017-11-08, 12:53 PM

3rd level Bard with no other classes? The feat would do nothing then.

The feat only applies if you are multi-classed.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-08, 12:54 PM
Sorry, I'm not understanding. What if I'm a 3rd level bard and I take the feat?Then it does nothing until you multiclass.

I suppose if you had a partial-casting bard, such as an ACF that loses caster levels, you would gain caster levels up to your HD.

Basically, it's a feat for multiclassed characters and classes (like the paladin) that lose caster levels in their normal progression.

Palanan
2017-11-08, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by leegi0n

No effect.

Practiced Spellcaster is only a benefit for a multiclassed character. If you’re a Bard 3/Rogue 4, then your caster level increases to CL 7, so the numeric effects from your spells are adjusted accordingly. But you don’t gain new spells as if you were a seventh-level bard; you’re still a third-level bard, just casting your spells with the strength of a seventh-level caster.

If you’re a Bard 3/Rogue 2, then your caster level only increases to CL 5, the equivalent of a fifth-level bard. If you continue to take levels in rogue, then your caster level will increase until you’ve reached CL 7, and after that you need to take more levels in bard to increase your CL any further.

leegi0n
2017-11-08, 01:15 PM
Got it now. Thanks all -

Jormengand
2017-11-08, 07:37 PM
The feat only applies if you are multi-classed.
Practiced Spellcaster is only a benefit for a multiclassed character.

Technically, no, it works just fine for paladins, rangers, and other single-classed characters with half caster level.

Palanan
2017-11-08, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jormengand
Technically, no, it works just fine for paladins, rangers, and other single-classed characters with half caster level.

I don’t think I’ve heard this before, and I’m not quite sure how that would work. The wording doesn’t say anything about accelerating half-casters, and it definitely doesn’t give an example of a single-classed character.

torrasque666
2017-11-08, 08:07 PM
I don’t think I’ve heard this before, and I’m not quite sure how that would work. The wording doesn’t say anything about accelerating half-casters, and it definitely doesn’t give an example of a single-classed character.
it can't advance their casting, but it does increase their caster level. It can't extend past their hitdie but since their caster level is half their level it can be advanced.

Jormengand
2017-11-08, 08:19 PM

It works the way it says it works in the description. I don't know how I can make it clearer than the very simple explanation given in the feat itself.

Malimar
2017-11-08, 08:45 PM
I'm not seeing any ambiguity in what happens when a half-caster like a Paladin takes this feat.

Through 3rd level, a paladin has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, her caster level is one-half her paladin level.

Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by +4. This can't increase your caster level beyond your HD.
A paladin with Practiced Spellcaster has a caster level equal to their Paladin level divided by 2, plus 4, to a maximum of their HD. (Unless they are 3rd level or lower, in which case they have no caster level, because null+4=null.)

Rebel7284
2017-11-09, 10:51 AM
Note that a single class bard does have a way to benefit from Practiced Spellcaster. Inspire Greatness gives 2 temporary HD or 4 if you have Words of Creation feat. Combining that with Practiced Spellcaster gives you a caster level boost.

Clearly only applicable after level 9.

Hiro Quester
2017-11-09, 01:49 PM
FYI, it also works well for classes that lose caster levels (e.g. Swiftblade). It increases your CL back to keep spell effects powerful, even if it doesn't progress spells known, etc.

It also helps for classes that reduce CL in some schools for advancement in other schools (e.g. Unseen Seer gets +CL to divination for reduced CL in other schools; practiced spellcaster can eliminate that reduction for those other schools).

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-09, 02:14 PM
FYI, it also works well for classes that lose caster levels (e.g. Swiftblade). It increases your CL back to keep spell effects powerful, even if it doesn't progress spells known, etc.

It also helps for classes that reduce CL in some schools for advancement in other schools (e.g. Unseen Seer gets +CL to divination for reduced CL in other schools; practiced spellcaster can eliminate that reduction for those other schools).Don't forget that it offsets the -3 penalty on the wild mage's CL, changing the benefits of the wild magic class ability from 1d6-3 bonus to caster level to +1d6.

ottdmk
2017-11-09, 02:52 PM
Practiced Spellcaster is great for an Unseen Seer build. I'm playing a Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 5 right now. He's caster level 10 for most spells (11 for Divinations), thanks to Unseen Seer offsetting the CL loss from Rogue 1 and Divination Spell Power.