PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Witchwolf Ranger Help

Captain Kablam
2017-11-08, 12:09 PM
New campaign coming up, thought I'd try making a psychotic, combat crazy skinwalker wolfman token evil teammate. Problem is I keep hitting snags and confusing wording.

What I was gunning for exactly was a Witchwolf, Wild Stalker ranger variant that utilizes either the Menacing or Natural Attack combat styles and the Lycanthropic Bloodlust racial trait. Here are the points of contention:

Does Lycanthropic Bloodlust, or Becoming a witchwolf in general alter the RPs, and does Lycanthropic Bloodlust replace anything or is it part of the Witchwolf kit?

A ton of feats in the Menacing combat style call for weapon focus, do I need to get weapon focus or can I use the feats' benefits with any weapon I am proficient with?

Is there any logical reason why the Enforcer feat only works for nonlethal damage? Because when it comes down to being punched or being carved up, it's no contest on which is scarier.

Also on the Intimidate skill it says that after failing, additional attempts to intimidate a foe increase the DC by 5. Does that apply to intimidate checks granted by the Menacing styles feats as well? And if so just to the same Feat, or can I use Dazzling Display on a guy, fail, and then go on to gut his friend with a Gory Display an not have to roll higher?

This is more an opinion question, which would be better to go with, Menacing or Natural Attack? (I should note that while natural attacks would be my primary weapons, they wouldn't be my only one, I plan on snagging magic/ranged weapons and so on because I can't fly and it seems unwise to claw thoqqua and oozes) The Natural Attack style would make him harder, but I feel the Menacing stuff would fit more with the horror show vibe I was going for (easy to flavor stuff like Dazzling Display as my guy letting out a terrifying howl).

And finally is there anyway I can get scent as something other than a rage power? I'd actually like to use it to hunt rather than just use it as an invisi-scanner.

Your guys' help would greatly be appreciated.

Geddy2112
2017-11-08, 01:03 PM
I like the theme of the build, and it looks to be pretty brutal.

Lycanthropic bloodlust is a racial trait, but it is not a racial trait that comes with your race. If your game allows traits, it is a trait specifically available to your race, but you don't get it by default for being a witchwolf. Most games allow 1-2 traits, and you could take that on top. Stock, the witchwolf does not get it. None of this alters the RP.

You don't get combat feats as wild stalker ranger, so no need to worry about which tree to take, but here is my breakdown

While it says you can select the feat without needing the prerequisite, you need weapon focus to use many of the feats as they say "if you are holding/using a weapon which you have weapon focus". The feat description is not the prerequisite. The enforcer feat needing nonlethal is about bullying people into complying, and less scaring them to death. The idea of an enforcer is to keep people in line, not murder them. If you want the killing intimidate feat, cornagun smash is what you are looking for. This is also a mechanical reason enforcer uses nonlethal, cornagun smash lethal. The increased DC includes any time you fail to intimidate anyone, combat and feats included.

Regardless of which feat tree you went with, a ranger could easily pick up both. Take the one that has feats you will be taking around those levels anyways, and grab the other feats as normal when you level. The big sell is that your ranger feats don't need to meet prerequisites, so if there are any you want with stiff prerequisites, take that tree. Overall, I think the menacing tree has better feats, you probably only want improved natural attack and weapon focus from natural and the rest are meh to awful.

Scent is easy to pick up at higher levels. A ranger gets the spell bloodhound as a 2nd level spell, meaning you can grab it at 7th level. It is scent for 1 hour per level, and a very good all day buff at higher levels.

Captain Kablam
2017-11-08, 01:13 PM
You don't get combat feats as wild stalker ranger, so no need to worry about which tree to take, but here is my breakdown.

You're right, well crap. Ragepowers and the Menacing feats are hard to choose from. Haven't even had a chance yet to start looking at the rage powers o I guess I'll have to go see what they got to both slaughter and terrify bandits.

Geddy2112
2017-11-08, 01:15 PM
You're right, well crap. Ragepowers and the Menacing feats are hard to choose from. Haven't even had a chance yet to start looking at the rage powers o I guess I'll have to go see what they got to both slaughter and terrify bandits.

The easy thing would probably be cornagun smash at level 6, as you should have power attack as your first feat. Weapon focus (claws) is something you might take anyways, and dazzling display is alright, moreso if your game has you up against hordes of things. Otherwise just max intimidate, call it good.

Captain Kablam
2017-11-08, 01:34 PM
Yeah, plus, I think I can probably sweet talk my DM into still holding onto Rage and Strong Senses since they don't actually replace the Combat Styles, the Rage Powers and Uncanny Dodge do. Dude just doesn't mesh with Hunter's Bond, because with how I envisioned him, no way does this guy have an animal companion longer than a week before it "had an accident."

For added fun was going to call him Lou Garou (see "loup-garou")

Psyren
2017-11-08, 01:55 PM
Intimidating Prowess should help you be less MAD. And since you're going for Dazzling Display anyway, consider Shatter Defenses.