PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shadowcraft Shenanigans in PF?

ATHATH
2017-11-08, 01:20 PM
Is there anything that boosts the reality % of Shadow Conjuration/Evocation/Enchantment/Transmutation spells in PF, sort of like what the Shadowcraft Mage PrC did in 3.5? The only thing that I've found so far is the Shadowcaster Wizard archetype.

Psyren
2017-11-08, 01:27 PM
Shadow Bloodline capstone and Solid Shadows metamagic feat are the main ones that come to mind for me.

Forrestfire
2017-11-08, 02:10 PM
In addition to the above, fetchling arcanists can get an extra 2% per level as a FCB (max 100%). You can potentially get up to +60% between that and Solid Shadows, though it still won't go past 100%.

Psyren
2017-11-08, 02:27 PM
Yeah, Pathfinder avoids the key component of "Shadowcraft Shenanigans" i.e. where a successful save to disbelieve is actually worse than a failed save, which is just unintuitive design.

Florian
2017-11-09, 08:36 AM
Is there anything that boosts the reality % of Shadow Conjuration/Evocation/Enchantment/Transmutation spells in PF, sort of like what the Shadowcraft Mage PrC did in 3.5? The only thing that I've found so far is the Shadowcaster Wizard archetype.

Itīs both easier and harder in PF.

Fetchling Arcanists gain +2% per Level as FCB, (Half)Elven Oracles can boost one Revelation as FCB, working quite well with the Shadow Mystery and get the most relevant spells with the Ancient Lorekeeper archetype. With those and Solid Shadows, you can reach the 100% mark.

On the bright side, going deeper into this will allow to stack an incredible amount of bonus CL and DC, with Shadow Gambit making for some killer illusions.

Long_shanks
2017-11-09, 09:28 AM
Itīs both easier and harder in PF.

Fetchling Arcanists gain +2% per Level as FCB, (Half)Elven Oracles can boost one Revelation as FCB, working quite well with the Shadow Mystery and get the most relevant spells with the Ancient Lorekeeper archetype. With those and Solid Shadows, you can reach the 100% mark.

On the bright side, going deeper into this will allow to stack an incredible amount of bonus CL and DC, with Shadow Gambit making for some killer illusions.

Is it possible to get to 100% with Shadow conjuration and Shadow evocation? They start at 20%, Solid shadows adds 20% and Fetchling arcanist adds 40% (biggest class increase there is, I think). So we are capping at 80% for now... Is there a way to get that remaining 20?

Edit: Oh, there is the Blood Arcanist archetype. You could choose the subpar Shadow bloodline to get the capstone, a 20% increase when in darkness.

ATHATH
2017-11-09, 12:02 PM
Is it possible to get to 100% with Shadow conjuration and Shadow evocation? They start at 20%, Solid shadows adds 20% and Fetchling arcanist adds 40% (biggest class increase there is, I think). So we are capping at 80% for now... Is there a way to get that remaining 20?

Edit: Oh, there is the Blood Arcanist archetype. You could choose the subpar Shadow bloodline to get the capstone, a 20% increase when in darkness.
The Shadowcaster Wizard archetype gives you a 20% boost at level 10, so you could replace the Blood Arcanist archetype with that.

grarrrg
2017-11-09, 12:16 PM
Shadow Bloodline ... Solid Shadows

Shadow Mystery...Shadow Gambit

Shadow conjuration...Shadow evocation

Shadowcaster Wizard

Step 1: Google "Pathfinder Shadow"
Step 2: ????
Step 3: PROFIT!

Also, Magical Lineage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage/) Trait + Solid Shadows = PROFIT!

Azoth
2017-11-09, 02:39 PM
The Crook of Cidhureen can increase shadow spells by 10% per charge spent up to a 50% increase. No language about 100% reality cap.

Long_shanks
2017-11-09, 05:26 PM
The Shadowcaster Wizard archetype gives you a 20% boost at level 10, so you could replace the Blood Arcanist archetype with that.

Wouldn't work. The fetchling FCB gives 40% and the archetype adds another 20%. So we would end up 40% short with the Shadowcaster wizard.

ATHATH
2017-11-09, 07:11 PM
Wouldn't work. The fetchling FCB gives 40% and the archetype adds another 20%. So we would end up 40% short with the Shadowcaster wizard.
?

20% (base)+40% (fetchling FCB)+20% (Shadowcaster Wizard)+20% (Solid Shadows metamagic feat)=100%, right?

Long_shanks
2017-11-09, 08:10 PM
?

20% (base)+40% (fetchling FCB)+20% (Shadowcaster Wizard)+20% (Solid Shadows metamagic feat)=100%, right?

The favored class bonus is only for the arcanist class, and not the wizard. So, a fetchling Blood Arcanist with the FCB fetches (i know, I know...) 60% all on it's own. The wizard, which doesn't have the same FCB, nets only 20%.

Akal Saris
2017-11-09, 09:49 PM
I recall there were some expensive magic items (staff of darkness or something?) which could boost it as well.

ATHATH
2017-11-09, 10:03 PM
The favored class bonus is only for the arcanist class, and not the wizard. So, a fetchling Blood Arcanist with the FCB fetches (i know, I know...) 60% all on it's own. The wizard, which doesn't have the same FCB, nets only 20%.
Oh, that's an Arcanist FCB?

Well, that complicates things a bit.

Yanisa
2017-11-10, 09:52 AM
Oh, that's an Arcanist FCB?

Well, that complicates things a bit.

I recall there were some expensive magic items (staff of darkness or something?) which could boost it as well.

The Crook of Cidhureen can increase shadow spells by 10% per charge spent up to a 50% increase. No language about 100% reality cap.
Which leads to 20% (base)+40% (fetchling FCB)+20% (Solid Shadows metamagic feat)+50% (Crook of Cidhureen)=130%

Also remember that Greater Shadow Conjuration/Evocation has a base of 60%. Which means we can get to 170% with crook, or 120% without crook.

Florian
2017-11-10, 11:44 AM
Step 1: Google "Pathfinder Shadow"
Step 2: ????
Step 3: PROFIT!

Also, Magical Lineage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage/) Trait + Solid Shadows = PROFIT!

*Shrugs*

Right now (shadow) illusion and calling are the spell types that can be "pushed" way beyond their natural limits, closely followed by curses.