PDA

View Full Version : What do we know about hexblade patrons?

Spiritchaser
2017-11-08, 01:45 PM
Originally these were intelligent weapons... but now it’s been insinuated that other types of creatures were also possible. Does anyone know specifically what the guidance is on new hexblade patrons in xanthar’s?

Millstone85
2017-11-08, 02:02 PM
You have made your pact with a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell -- a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadow. The mighty sword Blackrazor is the most notable of these weapons, which have been spread across the multiverse over the ages. The shadowy force behind these weapons can offer power to warlocks who form pacts with it. Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell. Others forgo such arms, content to weave the dark magic of that plane into their spellcasting.
Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Material Plane to her inscrutable ends.

source (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpm85cZbyJI#t=5m2s)

Spiritchaser
2017-11-08, 03:22 PM
You have made your pact with a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell -- a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadow. The mighty sword Blackrazor is the most notable of these weapons, which have been spread across the multiverse over the ages. The shadowy force behind these weapons can offer power to warlocks who form pacts with it. Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell. Others forgo such arms, content to weave the dark magic of that plane into their spellcasting.
Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Material Plane to her inscrutable ends.

source (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpm85cZbyJI#t=5m2s)

Thanks.

Looks like I might get a chance to stop DMing and to play one of these. Time to get writing

Elminster298
2017-11-08, 04:21 PM
Thanks.

Looks like I might get a chance to stop DMing and to play one of these. Time to get writing

A couple other options in the Forgotten Realms series...

Wendonai is and ancient Balor that possessed The Crescent Blade, a powerful artifact sacred to Eilistraee.

Mask, the God of thieves and son of Shar, took the shape of Godsbane which is the sword used by Cyric to kill Bhaal.

Spiritchaser
2017-11-08, 04:30 PM
A couple other options in the Forgotten Realms series...

Wendonai is and ancient Balor that possessed The Crescent Blade, a powerful artifact sacred to Eilistraee.

Mask, the God of thieves and son of Shar, took the shape of Godsbane which is the sword used by Cyric to kill Bhaal.

Thanks for these as well. I don’t use FR for my campaigns, but my old DM does. It’ll need to be consistent, or at least consistent enough. My knowledge is limited and old, so this is all good

The party will be mostly LE, so some good options here.

Millstone85
2017-11-08, 04:34 PM
Glad you like it. Me, I think I have a couple of issues with this fluff.

It is not a category. The Fey, the Fiend and the Great Old One weren't said to be Titania, Asmodeus and Ghaunadaur, or mysterious entities that some suspect to be these three. Instead, such names appeared in non-exhaustive lists of patrons that would qualify. UA showed that WotC was considering breaking this trend, but I had hoped that the transformation of the Undying Light into the Celestial was partly the result of negative feedback on this.

Sentient weapons? Many people couldn't envision a pact with Blackrazor. Surely, a character would have to wield the sword to get any magic from it, and that's just too much for level 1. Or could a character be empowered by Blackrazor's call from some remote vault? Perhaps you are actually wielding Blackrazor's younger sibling Darkshaver, and the both of you need to become stronger together? Well, the final version is essentially "By the way, the patron who gives you powers also forges sentient weapons".

Elminster298
2017-11-08, 05:54 PM
Glad you like it. Me, I think I have a couple of issues with this fluff.

It is not a category. The Fey, the Fiend and the Great Old One weren't said to be Titania, Asmodeus and Ghaunadaur, or mysterious entities that some suspect to be these three. Instead, such names appeared in non-exhaustive lists of patrons that would qualify. UA showed that WotC was considering breaking this trend, but I had hoped that the transformation of the Undying Light into the Celestial was partly the result of negative feedback on this.

Sentient weapons? Many people couldn't envision a pact with Blackrazor. Surely, a character would have to wield the sword to get any magic from it, and that's just too much for level 1. Or could a character be empowered by Blackrazor's call from some remote vault? Perhaps you are actually wielding Blackrazor's younger sibling Darkshaver, and the both of you need to become stronger together? Well, the final version is essentially "By the way, the patron who gives you powers also forges sentient weapons".

Not all weapon pacts have to be made with a known or remembered sentient weapon. A dormant sentient weapon could influence a low level pc without imparting ANY magical weapon properties. It's all in the storytelling. Even if it is getting power from the power behind the scenes that is still a valid reasoning for a hexblade patron.

Degwerks
2017-11-08, 06:22 PM
Anyone here familiar with R.A. Salvatore's books? I'm tempted to RP my patron as the ancient forge of the gods, powered by the primordial in the book Gauntlgrym and its sequels. Any ideas on this to help flesh it out?

Elminster298
2017-11-08, 06:41 PM
Anyone here familiar with R.A. Salvatore's books? I'm tempted to RP my patron as the ancient forge of the gods, powered by the primordial in the book Gauntlgrym and its sequels. Any ideas on this to help flesh it out?

Are you wanting the forge itself to be your patron or the Primordial? Forge itself you would absolutely, positively have to be a dwarf and, more specifically, a descendant of Delzoun. If it's the primordial it would most likely choose someone who is against the Delzoun.

Naanomi
2017-11-08, 06:56 PM
You mean no one else is planning on pledging themselves to the mighty Lilarcor?

Vaz
2017-11-08, 07:00 PM
I have a Hexblade who swore a blood oath to the Knightly Order he is a part of by drawing the blade across his palm during the initiation ceremony.

This weapon is the Widowmaker, an ancient spear forged by a god to fight against a Fiendish Invasion on the material plane. It ended up killing so many devils and demons that the evil seeped into the blade, not just possessing it, but awakening sentience and a desire for awful deed. It hates fiends but is its own creature.

I've seen others who are Tomelocks and bound themselves to the Book of Exalted Deeds, while there is a Fire Genasi who has Hexblade Chain Pact bound themselves themselves to a Prince of Elemental Evil with a Magma Mephit Familiar.

The Shadowdove
2017-11-08, 07:05 PM
The founder of a forgotten monk, assassin, or paladin order of old has chosen you as their disciple!

Degwerks
2017-11-08, 08:39 PM
Are you wanting the forge itself to be your patron or the Primordial? Forge itself you would absolutely, positively have to be a dwarf and, more specifically, a descendant of Delzoun. If it's the primordial it would most likely choose someone who is against the Delzoun.

Well crap. I'm not a dwarf so that's out.. however I could use the Primordial part... I originally needed a backstory on where my Hexblade was when I was kidnapped by drow for OotA. I said I was on my way to Gauntlgrym to see the fabled Forge of the Gods. My character really wanted to get there, because I thought it'd be the best place to get an awesome weapon. Other than that I've not given thought about my patron or had to RP anything about it. But now our party is actually on the way to that city for the story/adventure and its peaked my interest. I already have a weapon though so not sure what to choose about my patron. Kinda wanted to wait and see what changes Xanathars made for me.

Elminster298
2017-11-08, 08:50 PM
Well crap. I'm not a dwarf so that's out.. however I could use the Primordial part... I originally needed a backstory on where my Hexblade was when I was kidnapped by drow for OotA. I said I was on my way to Gauntlgrym to see the fabled Forge of the Gods. My character really wanted to get there, because I thought it'd be the best place to get an awesome weapon. Other than that I've not given thought about my patron or had to RP anything about it. But now our party is actually on the way to that city for the story/adventure and its peaked my interest. I already have a weapon though so not sure what to choose about my patron. Kinda wanted to wait and see what changes Xanathars made for me.

The drow had control of Gauntlgrym until it was taken back by the dwarves. A drow weapon made on the forge could fit well for a "patron". It could have picked up a powerful sentience from the dreams of the(at the time) slumbering primordial. It then would have learned subtlety and deception from being among the drow. It would work perfectly for a patron with a twisted long term goal.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-11-08, 11:52 PM
My theory on Sentient Weapons as Warlock Patrons is that they're simply too powerful for a 1st level Warlock to wield, or even a 20th level Warlock. Mortals cannot control such mighty artifacts at all. However, gaining the ability to summon and wield their Sentient Weapon Patron (or an avatar of it) would be an excellent idea for an Epic Boon for Hexblades.