PDA

View Full Version : Wishing for more wishes

Malapterus
2017-11-08, 03:29 PM
I am hoping to have a character save up for an eventual Ring of Three wishes, or preparing for the eventual theft of one.

The first wish would be to be able to wield Colossal weapons (he can already do Huge) and the second might be for better reach on his weapons.

Not needing a third wish, I thought he is the sort of guy who would try to benefit his party.

Do you think it is fair to have a single 'Wish' spell produce four or five rings that can each cast Limited Wish one time? These would be bestowed upon his party members, not including himself.

Crake
2017-11-08, 07:57 PM
I am hoping to have a character save up for an eventual Ring of Three wishes, or preparing for the eventual theft of one.

The first wish would be to be able to wield Colossal weapons (he can already do Huge) and the second might be for better reach on his weapons.

Not needing a third wish, I thought he is the sort of guy who would try to benefit his party.

Do you think it is fair to have a single 'Wish' spell produce four or five rings that can each cast Limited Wish one time? These would be bestowed upon his party members, not including himself.

A single use, use-activated limited wish item would cost (7*13*50)+(300*5) for a total of 6050gp each. Considering a standard wish can make up to 25,000gp worth of non-magical wealth which you could then just use to purchase said items, I don't think it would be unreasonable to just cut out the middle man and make 4 of these rings (worth 24,200gp).

GiantFlyingHog
2017-11-09, 01:48 AM
A single use, use-activated limited wish item would cost (7*13*50)+(300*5) for a total of 6050gp each. Considering a standard wish can make up to 25,000gp worth of non-magical wealth which you could then just use to purchase said items, I don't think it would be unreasonable to just cut out the middle man and make 4 of these rings (worth 24,200gp).

You're forgetting the XP cost of Wish, which ups the gold cost by 25000 per charge, for a total of 31050 gp, and cost 15525 gp and 1242 xp to make if I'm doing the math correctly.

Crake
2017-11-09, 03:11 AM
You're forgetting the XP cost of Wish, which ups the gold cost by 25000 per charge, for a total of 31050 gp, and cost 15525 gp and 1242 xp to make if I'm doing the math correctly.

Limited wish only has an xp cost of 300. For a single charge item, you take the xp cost and multiply it by 5 as a price modifier, then add it on to the base cost, which is spell level (7) times caster level (13) times 50, so the forumula becomes (7*13*50)+(300*5), which equals 6050gp each.

ApologyFestival
2017-11-09, 06:22 AM
At risk of deflating you a bit, as is usually the case when invoking wish, you should be talking to your DM.

Your first two wishes fall under the "You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous" clause, and a ring of limited wish does not exist. Closest thing to that is wishing for money to buy scrolls of limited wish, if they are readily available. Your party members would probably rather just have the money.

The pricing guidelines given in the DMG/SRD for custom items (which Crake has quoted) are for DMs to roughly price their own items and artefacts, where these are just guidelines and the DM is expected to price items based on their strength relative to existing items. The pricing guidelines for players' custom items are far more restrictive and are in the Magic Item Compendium, under "adding common item effects". If any DM lets you use the pricing guidelines verbatim, then you may as well take the money and buy permanent true strike, swift invisibility, swift flight, and a dozen stacking +1 effects to every stat of unusual types for a pittance.

Bronk
2017-11-09, 08:12 AM

I think the first wish would be a non safe wish... It would work if your DM was being lenient, but it would be easy, if the DM wants, to twist it so it's wasted. For example, temporarily changing you into something big enough to wield it, then changing you back, or maybe you can hold them but not hit anything. Maybe somehow work getting the Titan bloodline into the wish, that gives you the 'use oversized weapon' ability, which (for some reason) lets you use gargantuan weapons without penalty. Changing race is a wish example in Savage Species, so maybe that'll help. Maybe just wish to be a titan, and hope you roll well enough on spellcraft to get that ability?

The second wish is safe, but you would have to spend extra XP, basically giving one weapon the 'reach' property.

The third wish is safe, but only for one ring at a time, and you would have to spend extra XP on it. (So, would be fair, but only for one ring). However, you'd be spending a lot of resources and only get back a worse item than you started with. Maybe keep the last wish for emergencies, like when you need to hit something without fail, or need to rewind time for a round?

Crake
2017-11-09, 08:31 AM
At risk of deflating you a bit, as is usually the case when invoking wish, you should be talking to your DM.

There are some DMs who would simply say "You'll have to try it to find out" or "do you have any ranks in spellcraft/knowledge arcana? No? Then you have no idea what the limitations of the wish spell are, let alone where the boundaries of a safe wish are". And in my humble opinion, it's more fun that way, trying to carefully word the wish, not being sure what's going to happen, the anticipation is half the fun. If your DM just gives that information away, then he's throwing away the thrill of the unknown, which, from my experience, happens far less and less the longer your play, so don't throw it away while you still have it.

Fizban
2017-11-09, 12:11 PM
Giving a limited wish item in response to a wish for more wishes is a pretty solid idea. The fact that it can be justified in terms of gp is a nice, but also feels a little too optimized. I might suggest subverting the wish by having it give you a Ring of Three (Limited) Wishes, as a probable variant on the well-known version, rather than the "full" value convenient four-pack of unique one-shot "rings" that you desire. Wishing for a scroll instead could result in four copies on the scroll, if I was feeling generous.

Buufreak
2017-11-09, 12:27 PM
It would work if your DM was being lenient, but it would be easy, if the DM wants, to twist it so it's wasted.

This exact point. A wish is capable of being used to replicate most spells and magic effects. A wish of "I want to wield colossal weapons" sounds an awful lot like copying the effects of giant growth, which has a time limit. See, you didn't give any specifics of why or how, and especially not about time, so this is well within the limits of wish, and fulfills your wants exactly to the letter.

Similarly, there are spells and effects that increase range, but again, as your wish was vague, a dm only vaguely needs to oblige. Or ring. Or genie. Or whatever else creature of malicious intent that will be granting the wish.

GiantFlyingHog
2017-11-09, 04:34 PM
Limited wish only has an xp cost of 300. For a single charge item, you take the xp cost and multiply it by 5 as a price modifier, then add it on to the base cost, which is spell level (7) times caster level (13) times 50, so the forumula becomes (7*13*50)+(300*5), which equals 6050gp each.

Whoops, didn't notice you said limited wish.

Feantar
2017-11-11, 04:33 PM
Giving a limited wish item in response to a wish for more wishes is a pretty solid idea. The fact that it can be justified in terms of gp is a nice, but also feels a little too optimized. I might suggest subverting the wish by having it give you a Ring of Three (Limited) Wishes, as a probable variant on the well-known version, rather than the "full" value convenient four-pack of unique one-shot "rings" that you desire. Wishing for a scroll instead could result in four copies on the scroll, if I was feeling generous.

Actually, as scrolls are described, a scroll of 4 limited wishes is one magic item. To quote the text, A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. So they can wish for a scroll of 4 limited wishes. My point here, is that you don't have to feel generous to give a scroll of multiple limited wishes, it's a legit use.

Fizban
2017-11-12, 01:17 PM
The generosity comes from even allowing it to work in the first place when creating magic items with wish has its own increased xp cost, so using a wish with a set xp cost is not a legit use (for any DM that is actually paying attention to the xp cost). Since it's only functioning on DM whim in the first place, and I likely know you've wished for a scroll specifically because you're grabbing for as much as you think can get away with, humoring that is further generosity. Of course I don't let my players walk around in the dark, so they'd know before wishing weather or not I thought it was a fair request.

Feantar
2017-11-12, 05:31 PM
The generosity comes from even allowing it to work in the first place when creating magic items with wish has its own increased xp cost, so using a wish with a set xp cost is not a legit use (for any DM that is actually paying attention to the xp cost). Since it's only functioning on DM whim in the first place, and I likely know you've wished for a scroll specifically because you're grabbing for as much as you think can get away with, humoring that is further generosity. Of course I don't let my players walk around in the dark, so they'd know before wishing weather or not I thought it was a fair request.

Did not think of that. You're absolutely right.