PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What alignment is this big bad?

Zhentarim
2017-11-08, 03:49 PM
This 17th level wizard knows there are very few other people who can oppose them, and is very bored. They will help others for enough money, but they are mostly interested in themselves. They focus on conjuring different outsiders to have sex with and they are constantly polymorphing themselves into different species and genders to experience pleasures in different forms. They recently learned the only way to become a lich is to raise a child and then kill it using a contraption made from the bones of slain mortals.

WIP

Eldonauran
2017-11-08, 03:57 PM
This 17th level wizard knows there are very few other people who can oppose them, and is very bored. They will help others for enough money, but they are mostly interested in themselves. They focus on conjuring different outsiders to have sex with and they are constantly polymorphing themselves into different species and genders to experience pleasures in different forms. They recently learned the only way to become a lich is to raise a child and then kill it using a contraption made from the bones of slain mortals.

Nothing really stands out about this character alignment wise. It comes down to what they are willing to do, and who they are willing to sacrifice in order to attain their goals, that will inevitably determine their alignment.

Zhentarim
2017-11-08, 04:14 PM
Nothing really stands out about this character alignment wise. It comes down to what they are willing to do, and who they are willing to sacrifice in order to attain their goals, that will inevitably determine their alignment.

They are willing to harm others to advance themselves, and won't do anything "selfless" unless they have calculated they will get more out of doing that than what they put in. They follow the laws unless they see an overwhelming personal advantage to breaking the law, in which case they will break it but try to cover their tracks. They don't want people teaming up on them to take their riches or power.

zlefin
2017-11-08, 04:17 PM
aside from the lich stuff, they sound neutral (in the unaligned sense), bordering on neutral evil.
their personality is reminiscent of chaotic, but not really in an ethical sense, just a personality sense.

if they go through with the lichy stuff, that'd put them on evil, otherwise it doesn't sound quite like evil (depending on how far they're willing to hurt other people to get ahead).

hamishspence
2017-11-08, 04:17 PM
Sounds at least slightly Chaotic - the combination of boredom and sensation-seeking quest for new experiences, anyway.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChaoticNeutral
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChaoticEvil

Character type 1 on these lists, matches.

DMVerdandi
2017-11-08, 04:37 PM
Good and evil are Ethical.
Law and chaos are Political.

From what you have said, simply working for one's profit, benefit and pleasure aren't evil or good. It's all true neutral until you get into the baby killing.
Since it's a one time thing, it isn't necessarily going to shift their political alignment, as that is more of a permanent shift, following codes and not.
But it would definitely shift someone out of good to at least neutral. Unless they had some reasoning for it that REALLY REALLY actually being for the good of all.

Neutral evil with the Lich stuff.

Falcon X
2017-11-08, 04:42 PM
I'm going with Neutral Evil.

It is pretty hard to not be evil if you can kill an unwilling child and other mortals to become a lich. Mix that with a generally selfish personality and likely being a rapist, and you are a shoe-in.
Low-key evil is still evil.

Law vs. Chaos is harder to pinpoint based on your description. Depends on the laws of the land and what he thinks of people following them.
He sounds like a guy who thinks laws are alright and useful, but are okay to break if they don't work for him.

Zhentarim
2017-11-08, 07:53 PM

It is pretty hard to not be evil if you can kill an unwilling child and other mortals to become a lich. Mix that with a generally selfish personality and likely being a rapist, and you are a shoe-in.
Low-key evil is still evil.

Law vs. Chaos is harder to pinpoint based on your description. Depends on the laws of the land and what he thinks of people following them.
He sounds like a guy who thinks laws are alright and useful, but are okay to break if they don't work for him.

They like it when he can use the laws to their advantage, but they still bristle against the laws ever so slightly. They more tolerate laws than believe in them. They don't think breaking laws is worth the headache they get from law enforcers, even though they are now relatively powerful and could probably deal with it, now.

grarrrg
2017-11-08, 08:33 PM
Obligatory "Lawful has little to do with actual laws".

They should have named it Order.

tyckspoon
2017-11-08, 08:47 PM
Definitely Neutral on the Law-Chaos axis - it sounds like they have no strong opinion on that perspective, only caring for the concepts of 'law', 'order', 'social organization', and other things associated with Law/Chaos so much as it personally impacts them. As described, I would say also Neutral on the Good/Evil axis, but could easily become Evil if tempted by the right lure; a motivation of 'I only care about what enhances my existence' can easily tip over to 'I only care about what I find fun, and I will take it from others if they won't give it willingly'. That difference between self-interest and self-interest at the expense of others makes the difference between Neutral and Evil for this character. If they are seriously willing to consider Lichdom that's a pretty strong hint that they're bound for Evil sooner or later - they just haven't found the right reward for making that leap yet.

Eldonauran
2017-11-08, 09:36 PM

This. 1000% this.

Why Evil? Willingness to sacrifice other to advance yourself is decidedly evil. Neutral people will do it to save themselves, or if they see no other choice, but might not feel too good about it. Good characters would outright refuse to do it.

CockroachTeaParty
2017-11-09, 12:43 AM
Hedonistic narcissist? Sounds pretty neutral evil to me.

Aversion to doing anything selfless.
Only in it for themselves.
Me me me me me.
That's NE straight up.

Pleh
2017-11-09, 08:56 AM
A very soft chaotic evil. Nothing really lawful about the character.

Not a serial murderer level of CE (not yet anyway), but certainly chaotic and evil enough to match the description

Zanos
2017-11-09, 09:54 AM
Saying Chaotic Evil myself. Obviously Evil what with the child murdering, and strong Chaotic with doing Evil stuff just to stay entertained.

GrayDeath
2017-11-10, 08:24 AM
Neutral Evil.

But it does not sound like he`s a "Big Bad" at all.

More like a "Hedonist Wizard that might or might not oppose your group, depending on if you invite him to a lavish Dinner". Heck, he is effectively a less restrainid Beerus. :P