PDA

View Full Version : "How'd that fix it?"

danzibr
2017-11-08, 04:34 PM
tl;dr: please share your solutions which seemed unlikely to work.

I have two.

First, and this is not that weird, my phone charger sometimes doesn't work. When I straighten the charger, it works. However, there's no kink (at least, not that I feel).

Second, and here's a weird one, I had a student using a graphing calculator yesterday whose display was really weird. I mean... just weird all over. In places pure black, in places the wrong symbols displaying, and symbols displaying in the wrong places.
So the student hands it to me, I push a few buttons and it looks fine. I hand it back, a minute later it's even worse.
He hands it back, I push a bunch of buttons, it just gets worse and worse. Take out the batteries, put 'em back in, still messed up. I decide to type a whole bunch of 9's, just to see what would happen, and it's still wonky. Then I hit enter, it gives me an overflow error, then works just fine.

Nemirthel
2017-11-09, 08:41 PM
I once fixed a monitor by opening and closing a menu. The monitor didn't show anything except tiles of the desktop background, but the machine worked fine with a different monitor. So I opened the monitor's own settings to see if there was something wrong there. There wasn't, I closed the menu, and suddenly that monitor worked fine. I still have no idea how that did anything.

ve4grm
2017-11-10, 10:51 AM
I once fixed a monitor by opening and closing a menu. The monitor didn't show anything except tiles of the desktop background, but the machine worked fine with a different monitor. So I opened the monitor's own settings to see if there was something wrong there. There wasn't, I closed the menu, and suddenly that monitor worked fine. I still have no idea how that did anything.

I assume opening the menu made it try to display the setting, which it then realized was messed up and reset?

I once fixed a saxophone by threatening it (not touching it) with a pair of pliers. I leaned in to tweak a thing, got interrupted, and all of a sudden it worked fine again.

Goodkill
2017-11-11, 10:42 PM
this is the story of my life as a game developer

Heliomance
2017-11-12, 06:00 PM
this is the story of my life as a game developer

Aye, the two stages of software development: "It's not working and I don't know why" and "It's working and I don't know why"