PDA

View Full Version : New Pantheon Help

Skyflare19
2017-11-08, 06:37 PM
I have an idea for a new setting for a future campaign, but I am wanting to leave behind most of the established lore, including gods. In this setting, I will be using a new lost of gods that are divided into a hierarchy. The High Gods, who preside over harvest and hunt, conflict, travel, and fertility. And the Sentinels, who preside over trade, light, darkness, fire, earth, air, and water.

My question here is, are there any other domains that I should add?

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-08, 06:38 PM
Weather is always a staple.

Balyano
2017-11-09, 05:15 AM
Crafting (could be multiple ones such as smithing, weaving, carpentry, etc.), medicine, music and the arts, knowledge and wisdom, laws and social conventions, wine and revelry, hearth and home, protection, the moon/time keeping (since being able to track the time of year is rather useful), death/the dead/the underworld/psychopomp, trickster

Unoriginal
2017-11-09, 05:55 AM
I have an idea for a new setting for a future campaign, but I am wanting to leave behind most of the established lore, including gods. In this setting, I will be using a new lost of gods that are divided into a hierarchy. The High Gods, who preside over harvest and hunt, conflict, travel, and fertility. And the Sentinels, who preside over trade, light, darkness, fire, earth, air, and water.

My question here is, are there any other domains that I should add?

Depends what your worlds look like. If the High Gods presides over harvest and hunt for 2 of their 5 dominions, it gives me more of an Ancient Greek-era feel than a near-Renaissance-era feel, for exemple, but you might have other ideas.

The point is, anything a worshiped god is the master of will be considered important by some mortals, so by giving them X domain you define some of what will be important in your setting.

Are those gods the only ones who exist, or just the only ones with a religion?

If you want suggestions for more domains, what about rulership?

Devils_Advocate
2017-11-27, 06:21 PM
The Divine Domains available to Clerics are a good point of reference. For each one, there should be at least one deity for which that Domain is appropriate.

List of deities by classification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities#By_classification)
List of deities by association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deities_by_association)

Of course, a single deity may fit into more than one category. Something I noticed recently about the Olympians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Olympians) is how their portfolios tend to overlap with each other to a degree. You could look at that as an illustration of how you can have multiple gods of a thing, and also as an indication that certain things are important. (They probably are, if multiple major gods concern themselves with them.) For example

- Ares and Athena are both war deities
- Hera and Hestia are both goddesses of family
- Artemis and Apollo are both deities of archery
- Athena and Apollo are both deities of knowledge and civilization
- Athena and Hephaestus are both deities of crafts
- Dionysus and Apollo are both gods of the arts

and so on. You get the idea.

Zanthy1
2017-11-27, 07:07 PM
The Uh God Um. Popular among young students, he is worshiped by staring blankly at the ceiling/wall and chanting the sacred words "ummm" "uhhh"