PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cheap Magic Items in PF?

ATHATH
2017-11-08, 09:35 PM
What are some good, PF-exclusive (I've already found most of the 3.5 ones) magic items that cost less than 200 GP? 1000 GP? 2000 GP?

Also, is there a way to always succeed at the check to remove a negative level while not being immune to temporary negative levels?

I'm asking for a Souleater character that I'm building.

Aldrakan
2017-11-08, 10:10 PM
For level drain the obvious answer is to be a dhampir, which can get negative levels and die if they get more than their HD, but take no other penalty from them and have them removed automatically after 24 hours.

ATHATH
2017-11-08, 10:23 PM
For level drain the obvious answer is to be a dhampir, which can get negative levels and die if they get more than their HD, but take no other penalty from them and have them removed automatically after 24 hours.
Huh. Well, that solves that problem nicely.

Can I accidentally crit myself with my Energy Drain ability (if I use it on myself)?

Aldrakan
2017-11-08, 10:38 PM
Huh. Well, that solves that problem nicely.

Can I accidentally crit myself with my Energy Drain ability (if I use it on myself)?

Not sure, probably not but I doubt there's a ruling. I will say I'd expect many DMs to have a...logic issue with you powering up by stealing your own life force, especially given part of the description refers to the "opponent". By RAW I'm not sure if you even have the ability to target yourself with your touch attack.
Assuming PC a dhampir teammate would be less contentious, although for an NPC not really a concern

ATHATH
2017-11-08, 11:25 PM
Not sure, probably not but I doubt there's a ruling. I will say I'd expect many DMs to have a...logic issue with you powering up by stealing your own life force, especially given part of the description refers to the "opponent". By RAW I'm not sure if you even have the ability to target yourself with your touch attack.
Assuming PC a dhampir teammate would be less contentious, although for an NPC not really a concern
Well, from what I can tell, the "soul-eating" process is just slicing off a piece of a soul, which can then regrow (or not, depending on whether or not the soul makes its saving throw to remove the negative level). Since destruction caused by the internal struggle between life and undeath in a dhampir's soul has forced its soul to adapt and learn how to recover from damage quickly (total BS that I just made up after two minutes or so of thought), the "soul-slicing" process is much less damaging in the long-term to a Dhampir than to a human.

From the PFSRD entry on daemons:

Other methods bleed a fraction of a soul’s energies away, and while this method is far less powerful, some daemons capture other creatures for the sole purpose of entrapping them and milking their souls over a prolonged period of time, causing horrific agony for spans of months, years, or centuries before finally giving in to their own hunger and consuming what tattered fragments of soul remain.
Hm... That sounds an awful lot like inflicting a negative level on a creature, waiting for it to heal off said negative level (because inflicting more than one negative level at once would give a penalty to the save to heal off some of the negative levels), then repeating the process until the creature's level/HD count is reduced to one. My dhampir Souleater is basically "milking" himself, except that his body has adapted to repeated soul-destruction, causing him to suffer much fewer long-term consequences from repeatedly losing pieces of his soul.

Psyren
2017-11-09, 10:59 AM
By RAW, the drain only has a beneficial effect if you target an opponent. You can touch yourself all you want, but it won't do anything as written.

Starfinder added a general rule around abilities like this that I quite like as well.

ATHATH
2017-11-09, 12:00 PM
By RAW, the drain only has a beneficial effect if you target an opponent. You can touch yourself all you want, but it won't do anything as written.

Starfinder added a general rule around abilities like this that I quite like as well.
What if I hate myself and am my own worst enemy?

Caelestion
2017-11-09, 12:56 PM
If you hate yourself and you're your own worst enemy, you'd want to fail those checks to avoid losing negative levels.

grarrrg
2017-11-09, 01:03 PM
If you hate yourself and you're your own worst enemy, you'd want to fail those checks to avoid losing negative levels.

But that's just what he'd expect himself to do!

ATHATH
2017-11-09, 02:29 PM
Question: Does improving an existing homunculus count as "creating a magic item" for the purposes of the Souleater PrC? What about creating constructs? Grafts?

Psyren
2017-11-09, 02:38 PM
Question: Does improving an existing homunculus count as "creating a magic item" for the purposes of the Souleater PrC? What about creating constructs? Grafts?

You mean to burn your soul points on? Yeah I'd allow improving existing items to count for this.

Coidzor
2017-11-11, 10:41 PM
Sleeves of Many Garments are probably the best non-consummable item below 1K gp in Pathfinder.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-11-11, 11:35 PM
I've found this list to be pretty useful. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/2cv8z8/master_list_of_essentialuseful_magic_items/)

ATHATH
2017-11-12, 01:18 AM
I've found this list to be pretty useful. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/2cv8z8/master_list_of_essentialuseful_magic_items/)
That's really helpful, thanks!

Mystral
2017-11-12, 12:16 PM
What are some good, PF-exclusive (I've already found most of the 3.5 ones) magic items that cost less than 200 GP? 1000 GP? 2000 GP?

I am a fan of the lesser ion stones. Most offer a small, but permanent bonus for relevant skills and only cost a few hundred gold pieces per stone. Even high level characters can benefit from them and they are slotless, so they stay relevant.