PDA

View Full Version : DM Help MFoV Oath of Storms

SterlingWren
2017-11-09, 12:13 AM
So it invariably happens that when a Marvel or DC film comes out, one of the players in one of my three campaigns will want to build a character to emulate the powers of one of the heroes featured in the film. With Thor: Ragnarok out last weekend (it's awesome! Anyone who says Hela isn't a Hexblade patron can fight me), I was approached with this new Oath (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/11/oath-of-storms.html), and asked if it was legal at my table. I'm inclined to say yes because it was written by the 5e Forum's very own DracoKnight, but I wanna double-check its balance first.

Requiemforlust
2017-11-09, 12:25 AM
It looks fine to me. I mean, no more powerful than any other paladin. Is there anything in particular that has you concerned?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-09, 03:42 AM
Bahahahaha! Hope somebody's got feather fall.

I'm not a huge fan of MFoV's custom Spells they add for subclasses they make.

Though I'd allow it.

Requiemforlust
2017-11-09, 07:09 AM
I'm not a huge fan of MFoV's custom Spells they add for subclasses they make.

If by “custom” you mean “literally the exact same as shadow blade with a more appropriate thematic approach for the subclass.”

They didn’t make up this spell. They reskinned one.

And why do you have a problem with a Third Party Publisher writing spells?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-09, 07:27 AM
If by “custom” you mean “literally the exact same as shadow blade with a more appropriate thematic approach for the subclass.”

They didn’t make up this spell. They reskinned one.

And why do you have a problem with a Third Party Publisher writing spells?

I don't have a problem with 3rd party publishers writing spells. Nice leap. I haven't seen shadow blade apparently I don't like that either. If you like it that's fine, feels like the inevitable power creep to me.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-09, 07:41 AM
Looks good to me. Might try and bug a DM about it sometime. I seem to prefer making Paladins to Clerics, so this works juuuuust fine for me.
Volting Blade would be nice, but isn't a problem if they say no to that.

Then again, I'm still hoping I can find a DM that'll be cool with letting me go ham with your Warmage class. Mystical Blade just reminds me of Dragon Age's Knight-Enchanter in all the right ways.

Submortimer
2017-11-10, 09:14 AM
I don't have a problem with 3rd party publishers writing spells. Nice leap. I haven't seen shadow blade apparently I don't like that either. If you like it that's fine, feels like the inevitable power creep to me.

Yes, it's an illusion spell out of XGtE, available to sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards. Same text as Volting Blade, just necrotic damage instead of lightning.

DracoKnight
2017-11-10, 11:38 PM
Looks good to me. Might try and bug a DM about it sometime. I seem to prefer making Paladins to Clerics, so this works juuuuust fine for me.
Volting Blade would be nice, but isn't a problem if they say no to that.

I'm glad people are enjoying this Oath, I had a blast writing it, and it was very satisfying to complete :smallbiggrin:

GreyBlack
2017-11-10, 11:43 PM
I mean, it works but why not just encourage the player to be a Cleric of Tempest?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-11, 02:36 AM
I mean, it works but why not just encourage the player to be a Cleric of Tempest?

Because they wanted to play their 'Thor' as a Paladin. Not as a priest of a storm god.

Mith
2017-11-11, 02:40 AM
Because they wanted to play their 'Thor' as a Paladin. Not as a priest of a storm god.

How about a man with a god complex? Believe long enough and hard enough in D&D verse and it becomes true! (How else would one interpret a character's ascension to level 20?)

Requiemforlust
2017-11-13, 01:16 AM

Sorry, I care off way ruder than I intended to. Shouldn’t post without coffee or meds.

Anyway, I don’t see the problem with spells custom to an Archetype. I’m assuming that if they ever put this in on of their books it would get out on like...the Sorcerer and Druid lists.