PDA

View Full Version : Casting restrictions while sped up by Haste?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-09, 01:18 AM
I know the normal 1 spell of level 1 or higher restriction on a turn. If you are sped up by Haste can I cast a level 1 spell on each of my actions since I now have two actions? Or am I limited to casting and maybe shooting my bow?

Thanks again in advance.

hymer
2017-11-09, 01:40 AM
I'm AFB, but I'll give it a go:

I know the normal 1 spell of level 1 or higher restriction on a turn.
That's only if there is a bonus action involved in the casting.

If you are sped up by Haste can I cast a level 1 spell on each of my actions since I now have two actions? Or am I limited to casting and maybe shooting my bow?
The extra action gained from Haste is quite limited. One of the things it can't do is casting a spell. It does nothing to alter the state of affairs for casting multiple spells in one turn.

Starman973
2017-11-09, 02:05 AM
Sorry, only a fighter's action surge allows for another spell casting. So as a Eldritch Knight you could Cast Magic weapon on your bonus action, Use Eldritch strike with you weapon to hit two different targets in Melee range with you and then action surge for Thunderwave making your targets roll con saves at disadvantage. a Nice Combo. If you managed to knock them both back you can then Move so they won't be double teaming you next turn.

Vaz
2017-11-09, 02:14 AM
Sorry, only a fighter's action surge allows for another spell casting. So as a Eldritch Knight you could Cast Magic weapon on your bonus action, Use Eldritch strike with you weapon to hit two different targets in Melee range with you and then action surge for Thunderwave making your targets roll con saves at disadvantage. a Nice Combo. If you managed to knock them both back you can then Move so they won't be double teaming you next turn.
How do you hit two different targets with a Bonus Action Surge?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-09, 02:45 AM
How do you hit two different targets with a Bonus Action Surge?

Huh? I is confused. Action Surge doesn't take any action economy if that's what you mean.

Unless I missed some new errata, haven't checked in awhile.

Hyde
2017-11-09, 02:47 AM
Casting Magic weapon would make casting Thunderwave impossible, regardless of how many actions you have (It's a bit silly, but that's the rule).

However, Hitting two different targets is simply the function of the fighter taking the attack action, and using the Extra Attack feature to make multiple attacks. Both of these targets (or however many you have) would be at disadvantage against your next spell- which would need to be a cantrip, after casting a Bonus Action spell.

hymer
2017-11-09, 02:56 AM

I'm sorry to meddle with your combo, but it's actually against the rule. Granted, the bonus action casting rule is pretty strange once you stop to think about it. It's this (PHB p. 202):
You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

So if you cast Magic Weapon as a bonus action, you can't use a reaction to cast Feather Fall (or any spell or cantrip) in the same turn, and you can't cast Thunderwave with your action either (but you could cast a cantrip with that action). And if you Action Surge, it does not lift this restriction.
I'm not sure this was intentional, but there's no RAW way around it.

Edit: Shadowmonk'ed.