PDA

View Full Version : Would a Lead Lined Helmet Prevent Mind Flayers From Detecting Thoughts, etc?

Basement Cat
2017-11-09, 03:10 AM
Just a silly query.

I got the idea from joking comment in another thread. The basic idea is whether a lead lined helmet (i.e. "tin foil hat") provide any protection against mental powers, esp being detected? :smallwink:

LeonBH
2017-11-09, 03:23 AM
Maybe. If it was a 2-inch thick tin helmet, it would protect you from Detect Thoughts. But you're wide open to Scrying.

If it was a lead helmet, it would protect against Locate Object, too.

Basement Cat
2017-11-09, 03:28 AM
Ah, the two inch thick thing was what tweaked my memory.

I wonder how much such a helmet would weigh? I've read that European knights removed their helmets whenever possible do to their weight (and general discomfort--we're not talking modern day Football football hemets, after all) so an actual lead helmet would be dauntingly heavy.

LeonBH
2017-11-09, 04:59 AM
Actually, it's 2 inches of any metal which can block Detect Thoughts, so it could be 2 inches of aluminum to make it lighter.

But if it was lined lead, only a thin sheet is necessary. Any thickness of lead can block Detect Thoughts.

Unoriginal
2017-11-09, 06:12 AM
TBH if you wanted to protect yourself against a Mind Flayer, I'd rather suggest putting some contact poison on your helmet. There's a huge chance the Illithid is going to try getting grabby with you.